Jump to content

Tanglewood 2021 season to take place with several BSO concerts


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Official Website of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Inc. | Tanglewood (bso.org)   JUL 24  2021  SATURDAY, 8:00 PM Boston Symphony Orchestra Andris Nelsons and John Williams conduc

So heartwarming to see he's going to return on the podium.   Hopefully he will also finally premiere the Rise of Skywalker theme in concert

The Boston Symphony anouced a shortned season with public for the 2021 season at Tanglewood. No schedule available yet, but Maestro Andris Nelsons will lead 8 of the BSO's expected concerts.

Hopefully they will premiere it even if Williams opts not to conduct/attend.  One would assume he has been vaccinated--the risks of variant infections if you have the vaccine are comparable to the risks of many other communicable diseases, so maybe he does the thing himself.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

 

Official Website of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Inc. | Tanglewood (bso.org)

 

Boston Symphony Orchestra
Andris Nelsons and John Williams conduct Montgomery, Williams, Copland, and Stravinsky

Tanglewood

Boston Symphony Orchestra
Andris Nelsons and John Williams, conductors
Anne-Sophie Mutter, violin
Robert Sheena, English horn
Thomas Rolfs, trumpet

Jessie MONTGOMERY Starburst
John WILLIAMS Violin Concerto No. 2 (world premiere)
COPLAND Quiet City
STRAVINSKY Suite from The Firebird (1919 version)

 

Tickets on sale to the general public on May 17 at 10am!
Donor Presales begin April 12 at 10am!

Couldn't be happier for being wrong

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just booked our favorite place to stay near Tanglewood for the Violin Concerto weekend! (No idea if we will go, but hoping to!) Planning on it.

 

I love the program that night too - I don't know the Montgomery piece (but will see if a recording is available). However, putting Williams with Stravinsky (especially the Firebird which is a very cool piece) and Copland seems really fitting and a perfect line up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, lairdo said:

Just booked our favorite place to stay near Tanglewood for the Violin Concerto weekend! (No idea if we will go, but hoping to!) Planning on it.

 

I love the program that night too - I don't know the Montgomery piece (but will see if a recording is available). However, putting Williams with Stravinsky (especially the Firebird which is a very cool piece) and Copland seems really fitting and a perfect line up. 

 

You can check Montgomery's Starbust (and a lot of other of her music) here:

https://www.jessiemontgomery.com/works

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great that he will come back on stage! What about the Boston Symphony Hall? Will he conduct there as well? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In a normal year, he certainly would, so there's probably a very good chance. They don't announce Boston and Tanglewood at the same time though. I also saw today that the Hollywood Bowl is reopening, and announcing their season on May 11, so maybe we'll get some good news there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

 

You can check Montgomery's Starbust (and a lot of other of her music) here:

https://www.jessiemontgomery.com/works

 

Thanks. Also found a video from 2021 New Years Eve with the Minnesota Orchestra. Enjoyable small piece. 

 

I suspect the programming will be something like this:

Andris Nelsons Conducts

Starburst & Firebird

 

Intros JW and ASM for Violin Concerto No. 2 

 ASM encore with perhaps one solo piece of her own

or 1-2 encore pieces from Across the Stars 

 

  Intermission

 

Nelsons returns to conduct Copland Symphony

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Will said:

This is excellent. :woop:And given that it's a Saturday night concert, the odds of this being broadcast live on radio are very high, I would think! 

If this is the case, that's amazing! I won't be there for sure, so not waiting for months/years for a commercial release will be great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Another program from existing archives is coming as well. 

 

Boston Pops In Love
Pops Classic from the Archives

MAY 13 Thursday, 12:00 PM

 

Featured Performers

Keith Lockhart - conductor

Available May 13 - June 12

 

As springtime flowers bloom across New England, we present to you an encore broadcast of our beautiful and romantic Pops in Love concert! This unique program includes spirited classics such as Tchaikovsky’s Romeo and Juliet Overture-Fantasy along with selections from Broadway and John Williams’ film music. Plus, special guest dancers from Boston dance companies perform alongside the orchestra in three selections from a variety of styles ranging from opera to jazz. Pops in Love is a treat for the ears and the eyes, celebrating the music that brings us all closer together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Amer said:

Another program from existing archives is coming as well. 

 

Boston Pops In Love
Pops Classic from the Archives

MAY 13 Thursday, 12:00 PM

 

Featured Performers

Keith Lockhart - conductor

Available May 13 - June 12

 

As springtime flowers bloom across New England, we present to you an encore broadcast of our beautiful and romantic Pops in Love concert! This unique program includes spirited classics such as Tchaikovsky’s Romeo and Juliet Overture-Fantasy along with selections from Broadway and John Williams’ film music. Plus, special guest dancers from Boston dance companies perform alongside the orchestra in three selections from a variety of styles ranging from opera to jazz. Pops in Love is a treat for the ears and the eyes, celebrating the music that brings us all closer together.

 

That one was recorded for this years Valentine's Day and includes Williams' Sabrina and Love theme from Superman.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate to be Buzz-killington, but for anybody who wants to go to the JW concerts at Tanglewood this summer, the shed is already sold out, with only lawn tickets available and I think those will be limited as well. So when general ticketing is available on the 17th, be sure to log in right when it opens up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I will do my best to make it, will definitely try to snag a ticket. Got a little money saved up.   Seeing and hearing JW conduct an orchestra live is an opportunity I don't want to miss out on in my lifetime.

 

So, I want the lowdown.  How do I get the tickets on the 17th?  How much will they be?  Where can I stay in town?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

How do I get the tickets on the 17th? 

 

https://www.bso.org/Home

 

4 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

How much will they be?

 

I don't even remember off the top of my head, but it's very reasonable

 

4 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

 Where can I stay in town?

 

There's lots of airBNBs.  Steef stayed at one within walking distance of Tanglewood last time he went

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the transport picture like?  I'd fly into Boston, I'd wager, but would I have to rent a car or are there like any bus or charter lines going out to Lenox/Stockbridge?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tanglewood is actually significantly closer to Albany NY than it is to Boston MA

 

I live in MA and have always just driven there (it's an hour 45 mins from my house) so aren't really learned on public transport options.

 

I think Steef took a train from Boston the last time he went, because he was vacationing in Maine beforehand.  Somebody else flew into Albany to attend once..... I forget who

 

Maybe it was @Marian Schedenig?

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I flew to Boston, rented a car to get to Tanglewood, and a few days later took a train from Boston to NYC. A car seemed like the only sure way to avoid needing a hotel in the Tanglewood/Albany neighbourhood.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh that's right.  You drove from Boston to Tanglewood and back to Boston all in the same day right

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I flew to Boston, rented a car to get to Tanglewood

 

This is what I've always done. I don't think you can get to Tanglewood without a car. Anyone want to carpool?

 

41 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

How do I get the tickets on the 17th?

 

Along with the website, you could try buying tickets over the phone. Sometimes it's faster. Although I think the online ticketing system is better than it used to be.

 

If there were going to be any film night concerts in Boston this summer, they would have announced them by now, right? As much as I love Tanglewood, Boston is easier logistically for those of us who don't live in the area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh that's right.  You drive from Boston to Tanglewood and back to Boston all in the same day right

 

Yep. The drive to Tanglewood was the first time @crocodile heard The River (once we got the car radio working). The drive back took more than twice as long, even though we thought we'd waited long enough for most of the traffic to have cleared before leaving Tanglewood.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

If there were going to be any film night concerts in Boston this summer, they would have announced them by now, right? As much as I love Tanglewood, Boston is easier logistically for those of us who don't live in the area.

 

Yea I think they would have.  I assume Tanglewood is only happening because it's outdoors.  Things should be normal by 2022 for Symphony Hall at least!

 

 

I still almost can't believe JW will be living in my state for a month again.  Last year was the first time he hadn't in who knows how many years/decades.  Maybe I should start having random weekend lunch excursions to the area :)

 

 

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

 The drive back took more than twice as long, even though we thought we'd waited long enough for most of the traffic to have cleared before leaving Tanglewood.

 

Yea I have no fond memories of having to sit in the parking lot waiting to get out after the concert even though I love everything else about going there

 

Hey, maybe this year with reduced ticket sales the get-home won't be as bad?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jay said:

I assume Tanglewood is only happening because it's outdoors.

 

Probably true. So let's all flock to Tanglewood!

 

It must have been weird for Williams himself not to be there last summer. Stupid covid!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will definitely be going to both the Jul 24 Violin Concerto premiere and Aug 13 Film Night

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm coming back to this kind of late, but I found the tickets for inside to be a little pricier this year but I would guess they could really use the money.

Lawn tickets are $30. The hotel/air bnb situation is ridiculous. Everything is really really expensive, a lot of places for those weekends specifically wanting over $600. There are other prices I think kicking around, but seems mostly everyone is at least $200 a night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't mind driving late at night I suppose instead of staying in the close area you could stay anywhere within an hour or so's drive.  I guess its a balance of how much that would be preferred over driving less but paying more

 

I'll be driving back to my house after!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi to everyone! ;)
I'm getting a little envious when reading this thread. Anyway, there's real hope about things going back to some kind of normalcy in the next few weeks or months, at least in the US. I'd love to attend one of those concerts but all that remains pretty uncertain, not to say purely hypothetical.
It had been really frustrating to have to cancel my trip to the US last year. I'm still a bit hopeful that I'll be able to vacation over there by the end of August. Plus I'm waiting for the Hollywood Bowl announcement next week, as I had planned last year to attend Williams' concert.
Before making any plans of some sort, I'll first have to get my first shot of the vaccine (that would be early June if I'm lucky enough). Then, Biden would have to lift travel restrictions for people from the Schengen area. Long way to go! :huh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 10:13 AM, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I'm coming back to this kind of late, but I found the tickets for inside to be a little pricier this year but I would guess they could really use the money.

Lawn tickets are $30. The hotel/air bnb situation is ridiculous. Everything is really really expensive, a lot of places for those weekends specifically wanting over $600. There are other prices I think kicking around, but seems mostly everyone is at least $200 a night.

 

How did you see ticket availability/prices?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 9:14 PM, Jay said:

Tanglewood is actually significantly closer to Albany NY than it is to Boston MA

 

I live in MA and have always just driven there (it's an hour 45 mins from my house) so aren't really learned on public transport options.

 

I think Steef took a train from Boston the last time he went, because he was vacationing in Maine beforehand.  Somebody else flew into Albany to attend once..... I forget who

 

Maybe it was @Marian Schedenig?

 

Back in 2014, Romão and I flew to New York, where we stayed for a few days. We took a bus to Lenox and stayed at a motel nearby (it was the same place were the Tanglewood fellows were staying and one of the piano fellows even gave us a ride on one of the days).

We used https://peterpanbus.com/ that offered reasonable fees for the travel between New York and Lenox, though it was a 3-hours bus ride. Probably faster if we had rented a car.

The motel we stayed it was, if memory serves, the Econolodge. I think a two bed room went for about $100 a night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This makes me feel good about getting my AirBnb  as soon as they announced the dates.  I'm a little stressed over tickets though, I'm teaching a class when they go up so I hope lawn seats stay available for a while.

 

I wonder if as the summer goes on more tickets will be released too as audience capacity limits are lifted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.