Does JW listen to expansions when approving them? Does he remember older scores simply reading the cue list?

crumbs

Interesting question, but we all cannot answer, just do wild guessing.

I would bet, that JW does not listen through the whole expansions.

If he did, he probably would say, "Don't publish that. I would rather rework the whole thing."

But I am quite sure, he listens to samples and certain outstanding cues.

And I guess that Mike comes with a list of questions, film version or album version or both of a particular cue, is this mix with the choir ok or not what about the source cues etc. Probably, you can handle all those questions in a well prepared 2 hour meeting. 

22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Mike previously mentioned that JW requested mastering changes for E.T., specifically a reduction in brightness from Mike's prototype assembly. Clearly this shows that JW does listen to some expansions.

I guess E.T. is really special enough to listen to again and again.

22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

For Jurassic Park he mentioned being asked to retain the OST edit for Incident at Isla Nublar, implying that JW remembers his OST assemblies.

Very happy that Mike ignored that.

23 minutes ago, crumbs said:

JW also requested OST edits be replicated for Desert Chase in the 2008 Raiders expansion

Oh, so it was him :angryfire:

24 minutes ago, crumbs said:

And of course JW occasionally rejects source cues (...) Shawm being an interesting example; the only source cue rejected for Azkaban, meaning he remembered every other source cue and only wanted Shawm omitted

Do we explicitly know that was his request?

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

Do we explicitly know that was his request?

I believe that was confirmed, yes. But I also don't want to put words in people's mouths, so hopefully someone "in the know" will confirm.

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

Oh, so it was him :angryfire:

Yes, according to Laurent Bouzereau. This FSM article confirms it.

image.png

I think I remember Jay did an interview with Mike and one of the questions of the extent of JW's involvement was discussed.  It sounded like he's quite involved even saying certain cues can't be released for various reasons.

I hadn't seen the name before so I searched the forum for it and found one instance where he's referred to as JW's agent, another where he's called JW's manager, and another where he's called JW's assistant!

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I hadn't seen the name before so I searched the forum for it and found one instance where he's referred to as JW's agent, another where he's called JW's manager, and another where he's called JW's assistant!

They just tried to avoid the word "butler".

I guess that means Jamie is the intermediary Mike negotiates with regarding JW's notes, as referred to in his anecdote about Incident at Isla Nublar.

Possibly even the guy who asked Mike if he wanted to expand JP (and Mike, in turn, asked if he could do TLW concurrently).

2 hours ago, Jay said:

He does listen to them.

Mike burns them to CDRs and hand delivers them to Jamie Richardson.  

Later, Jamie and JW will sit down together and listen to them at JW's house.  JW will give Jaime notes that he delivers back to Mike.

That is interesting. I would not have thought that.

But it makes sense, since he obviously pays a lot of attention on creating soundtrack albums.

I mean, there are a lot of composers who create suites or special edits of their scores from the material they already wrote for the film.

But Williams actually composes and arranges tracks for his soundtrack albums. For Star Wars he wrote the Leia's Theme track especially for the album and so on. I mean, who else does that? Michael Giacchino did that on the Rogue One album, I remember. But it is really rare.

It was more common from Star Wars through all of the 80s and 90s, with many composers doing it such as James Horner, Elmer Bernstein, etc

From the 00s-present it doesn't really happen as much, and JW is one of the only guys really keeping the tradition alive

Those Giacchino ones are sort of the reverse of how JW did it; MG writes those suites first and then bases the film cues based on material in them, and at the sessions records the suites just for the album and/or the end credits

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

I believe that was confirmed, yes. But I also don't want to put words in people's mouths, so hopefully someone "in the know" will confirm.

Yes, according to Laurent Bouzereau. This FSM article confirms it.

image.png

I just can't believe how in the hell a master of craftmanship like williams can give a thumbsup to those horrendous noticeable edits.

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

Those Giacchino ones are sort of the reverse of how JW did it; MG writes those suites first and then bases the film cues based on material in them, and at the sessions records the suites just for the album and/or the end credits

I guess we mostly don't know in which order JW does it.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I wonder if JW tucks the CDRs into the leather bound books he has of each score

Wouldn't he tuck in a complimentary copy of the finished product, rather than some crappy CD-R? :) 

I would speculate he has a different shelf full of physical CDs in their jewel cases

The CDRs I imagine just come with a printout of the track list.  Easy to slip just the disc in the book

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I would speculate he has a different shelf full of physical CDs in their jewel cases

Out of interest, do you know if JW gets sent a copy of each expansion's finished product?

Does his team check the album artwork, liner notes, etc. as well?

On 3/22/2021 at 10:56 AM, Jay said:

Later, Jamie and JW will sit down together and listen to them at JW's house.  JW will give Jamie notes that he delivers back to Mike.

I bet they sit by the fireplace and have a nice wine too.