Prelude for Piano and Orchestra (new Williams composition - premiered June 2021; Albany Symphony performance & recording coming 2022)

thx99

Well, I'm right and you're wrong.

• Percussive Planet is announced for Jun 26 2021, performed by Grubinger (source)
  • The Violin Concerto is announced for "next summer", performed by Mutter (source)
  • The Hollywood Bowl fanfare is announced for "the 100th anniversary of the Hollywood Bowl, to be conducted by Gustavo Dudamel" (source)
  • The Vienna Processional is announced for "Tanglewood, Summer 21" conducted by Dudamel (source)
  • Prelude is announced for "next season", performed by Cheng (source)

They are literally all completely identical to each other.

Well, more than discography, what we're talking here it's the catalogue of his works. It all depends on the criteria you're using to list the works, which of course is something up to personal choice.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

In the case of the Prelude, we have a program confirmed by the performing artist. In Gloria I trust.

But it hasn't been published. And you don't know if he's finished composing it yet. If he hasn't, there's no 100% guarantee that he'll ever finish it. Anyway, no recording has been announced, so it doesn't belong in a discography.

8 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But it hasn't been published. And you don't know if he's finished composing it yet. If he hasn't, there's no 100% guarantee that he'll ever finish it. Anyway, no recording has been announced, so it doesn't belong in a discography.

Yup.  All 5 of these pieces might be performed to an audience one day, or might not.  All 5 of them might get recorded and released on an album or single one day, or might not.

If the website is about cataloging his recordings, and not being a crystal ball, then none of them should be listed yet.  

But if you're going to list 1, list all 5, because they'll all the same thing.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:25 AM, Jay said:

• Percussive Planet is announced for Jun 26 2021, performed by Grubinger (source)
  • The Violin Concerto is announced for "next summer", performed by Mutter (source)
  • The Hollywood Bowl fanfare is announced for "the 100th anniversary of the Hollywood Bowl, to be conducted by Gustavo Dudamel" (source)
  • The Vienna Processional is announced for "Tanglewood, Summer 21" conducted by Dudamel (source)
  • Prelude is announced for "next season", performed by Cheng (source)

Really cool! The Maestro has certainly been keeping busy. I love it!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the "Scherzo" is a heavy and aggressive piece, unlike many of Williams' other concert works, which, as we know, have a tendency to focus on the dreamy quality of nature.  I really enjoy it but would like to hear it a few beats-per-minute faster.  

The "Prelude" should be a fantastic addition.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jocores said:

Finally, the world premiere of the Prelude will be at Barcelona on June 21st:

https://www.palaumusica.cat/es/osv-gloria-cheng-marc-timon_782362

The date and link have already been mentioned on the main page article from April 8, but thanks for the reminder.

8 hours ago, Ricard said:

The date and link have already been mentioned on the main page article from April 8, but thanks for the reminder.

I think you have to update the article because the Prelude will be performed in Barcelona and it will be the World Premiere of it, not just the European premiere of the scherzo. 

• 4 weeks later...

Lucky guy! Barcelo is a fine composer in his own right. Love his Rozsa-esque score for COLISEUM and his heartwarming score for THE LITTLE WIZARD.

In the Barcelona concert there will be a suite from The Little Wizard and he willi premiere a piece he has written as an homage to Williams. It looks like it's going be a great concert. Plus the Palau de la musica catalana is gorgeous.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am actually really excited to hear this. I am a fan of the Scherzo, which I think most people here are not. I will note that it is very different from his other works, although so is Conversations....

28 minutes ago, jocores said:

And the Scherzo played by the Cheng is far from the aggresiveness developed by Lang Lang in his performance, it's more detailed and, for me, much more interesting.

I'm not surprised, as Lang Lang's performances are mostly about flashy gestures and exaggerated interpretations.

7 hours ago, jocores said:

I attended the concert and I was blown away by the Prelude and the Scherzo, as played by Gloria Cheng, it seemed as a different piece. The prelude adds a needed introduction to the piece it's almost a meditative piece, the calm before the storm. And the Scherzo played by the Cheng is far from the aggresiveness developed by Lang Lang in his performance, it's more detailed and, for me, much more interesting.

The orchestra surprised me and it sounded much better than I expected and the music by Timon was very entertaining.

Pleeeease tell us more! Was there anything especially interesting the orchestration? Or maybe a prominent part for some instrument in the orchestra? Any scrap of information is gold right now :D

On 3/25/2021 at 3:56 PM, rough cut said:

Curious to find out what the Prelude sounds like.

Perhaps something like Walton's Spitfire Prelude... I can't sit at a piano without playing the opening of that first.

On 6/28/2021 at 5:56 PM, carlborg said:

Pleeeease tell us more! Was there anything especially interesting the orchestration? Or maybe a prominent part for some instrument in the orchestra? Any scrap of information is gold right now :D

I'd love to be a musician to be able to get into a detailed explanation of the piece, but I'm not. Sorry :(