“Prelude and Scherzo for Piano and Orchestra for Gloria Cheng and Lang Lang” (Williams premiere, Albany SO, 2021/22)

Well, I'm right and you're wrong.

• Percussive Planet is announced for Jun 26 2021, performed by Grubinger (source)
  • The Violin Concerto is announced for "next summer", performed by Mutter (source)
  • The Hollywood Bowl fanfare is announced for "the 100th anniversary of the Hollywood Bowl, to be conducted by Gustavo Dudamel" (source)
  • The Vienna Processional is announced for "Tanglewood, Summer 21" conducted by Dudamel (source)
  • Prelude is announced for "next season", performed by Cheng (source)

They are literally all completely identical to each other.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(Note: The “Prelude” is what will be premiered; the “Scherzo for Piano and Orchestra” is a previously-existing work.)  

Btw, Gloria confirmed me that the piece is going to be recorded by the Albany Symphony next year.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

In the case of the Prelude, we have a program confirmed by the performing artist. In Gloria I trust.

But it hasn't been published. And you don't know if he's finished composing it yet. If he hasn't, there's no 100% guarantee that he'll ever finish it. Anyway, no recording has been announced, so it doesn't belong in a discography.

8 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But it hasn't been published. And you don't know if he's finished composing it yet. If he hasn't, there's no 100% guarantee that he'll ever finish it. Anyway, no recording has been announced, so it doesn't belong in a discography.

Yup.  All 5 of these pieces might be performed to an audience one day, or might not.  All 5 of them might get recorded and released on an album or single one day, or might not.

If the website is about cataloging his recordings, and not being a crystal ball, then none of them should be listed yet.  

But if you're going to list 1, list all 5, because they'll all the same thing.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:25 AM, Jay said:

• Percussive Planet is announced for Jun 26 2021, performed by Grubinger (source)
  • The Violin Concerto is announced for "next summer", performed by Mutter (source)
  • The Hollywood Bowl fanfare is announced for "the 100th anniversary of the Hollywood Bowl, to be conducted by Gustavo Dudamel" (source)
  • The Vienna Processional is announced for "Tanglewood, Summer 21" conducted by Dudamel (source)
  • Prelude is announced for "next season", performed by Cheng (source)

Really cool! The Maestro has certainly been keeping busy. I love it!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the "Scherzo" is a heavy and aggressive piece, unlike many of Williams' other concert works, which, as we know, have a tendency to focus on the dreamy quality of nature.  I really enjoy it but would like to hear it a few beats-per-minute faster.  

The "Prelude" should be a fantastic addition.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lucky guy! Barcelo is a fine composer in his own right. Love his Rozsa-esque score for COLISEUM and his heartwarming score for THE LITTLE WIZARD.

In the Barcelona concert there will be a suite from The Little Wizard and he willi premiere a piece he has written as an homage to Williams. It looks like it's going be a great concert. Plus the Palau de la musica catalana is gorgeous.

• 3 weeks later...