Prelude for Piano and Orchestra (new Williams composition - premiered June 2021; Albany Symphony performance & recording coming 2022)

thx99

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Here's the scherzo if you haven't heard it

Who said last time, it's like a cat walking on the piano? I really had to laugh, because, yeah, that's not completely wrong. Would be a great title.

Looking forward to the prelude. Will we at last get a recording of Prelude and Scherzo with Cheng or Lang at the piano?

I'm looking forward to the prelude but I do not enjoy the scherzo. There's just nothing about it that grabs my ear or serves as a recognizable foundation for all the kinetic noise.

6 hours ago, Bayesian said:

This is likely the closest we’ll ever get to a JW piano concerto! Really excited for this!

Apparently he's working up to one, movement by movement :)

I didn't like it very much the first time I heard it (which was a mediocre-sounding Youtube video of Lang Lang's premiere performance), but I've come to enjoy it a bit more in its proper album recording. Lots of details I missed the first time around. Just as with "Conversations", I was hoping for a more lyrical piano piece when Williams finally wrote a concert piece for his main instrument (nobody knows what the piano sonata from his student days sounds like anyway), and it turned out to be something far more abstract and experimental. But something to explore further when I'm in the mood.

Nice to hear that a "Prelude" has been added to the piece.

I can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading about the Scherzo. I absolutely adore it. 

I love the piano parts but if you're looking for something more melodic there's a recurring theme that plays throughout the whole piece. 

It's one the best JW action pieces!

I would guess that since it is paired with the scherzo, it will be composed in the same modern idiom, which of course is the typical musical language of most of his concert works.  

It will be interesting to see if they just happen to be paired by the orchestra or if the prelude is meant to be a separate movement in the same overall piece.  

I mean, literally all the information we know is in the main post of this thread you're asking this question in.

We know: 

1) It's a new composition by Williams he recently finished that no one's heard yet

2) It will premiere with the Albany Symphony "next season", which could mean late 2021 or early 2022

That's all we know.

DId he published something between 2018 and 2021?

There's a gap on my website, maybe I missed something, please tell me, I was lazy in the last years...

image.png

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/composer/index.htm

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

There's a gap on my website, maybe I missed something, please tell me, I was lazy in the last years...

image.png

Since you count in the Adagio from TFA I would expect the across the stars arrangements for ASM in that list here?

Well, there's still the mystery of exactly what Percussive Planet will be

And there's the Hollywood Bowl centennial fanfare

And the processional for Vienna

And the Violin Concerto for Mutter

And of course Galaxy's Edge: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29030-galaxys-edge-new-john-williams-composition-2018

And if it counts for what you're asking about, the new version of Han Solo and the Princess

and the new versions of a bunch of stuff for Anne Sophie Mutter

No, because it's an arrangement, it's in the arrangement section.

(if it's not there actually, I must add the Mutter albums).

I have a very complex rule, where the renaming or a work or not, makes all the difference.

Galaxy is on the composition page, I just put it in the score sub-section, as it is a score for a themed Park, not a classical work composed for a friend.

image.png

@Jay Thanks for your links, but I don't want to read all them. Of course, I only put compositions on my pages, where they Premiered or officially where Published.

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Ok. But the Adagio from my point of view would be in that sense also just an arrangement.

But JW took the time to change the name. I don't know if it changes something about the rights... anyway. It's like "Stargazers", we know that's from E.T., but with the name change, the dissociation with the movie, for me it's a new composition.

With a new name, it becomes more "classical" and acceptable in a serious classical concert, don't you think? hehe

But there you forgot the suite from Lincoln for piano solo.

No sorry. You didn't. You mentioned the Simone Pedroni transcriptions. But I thought the arrangements from Lincoln are based on a suite from Williams. But might be wrong.

It makes no sense to list Prelude but not the Violin Concerto, Vienne processional, Holly Bowl centennial, and Percussive Planet (if it is a new work).  They are all in the exact same category of "things we know JW has written, but haven't been performed for the public yet"

What do you mean by "published"?  Are you talking about sheet music for sale?  None of these things have that.

Published, someone already showed us a website, were we can see the published works.

Anyway, meanwhile these works have 92 times to be revised 'till their Premieres... :P

Yes, all 5 of these were announced via other websites, which is why each has a thread here.  They aren't just like, rumors or something, they are all fully announced works that simply haven't had their debut performance yet.

I would just lump all of these together as "upcoming works".  No reason to assign a date until they actually get performed somewhere

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

image.png

There is also a violin concerto he composed for Anne Sophie Mutter in 2020.  They talked about it together on CBS Sunday Morning interview last year.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

2) It will premiere with the Alabama Symphony "next season", which could mean late 2021 or early 2022

Albany Symphony

Only officially published (with a proof and a date of publication) or Premiered works appears on my website. PERIOD.

I'm not JW's agent, I'm a discographist.

13 minutes ago, karelm said:

Albany Symphony

Typo fixed

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Only officially published (with a proof and a date of publication) or Premiered works appears on my website. PERIOD.

I'm not JW's agent, I'm a discographist.

I understand, which is why there is no reason to add "Prelude" to your website at all.

You should either list all these works:

• Violin Concerto
  • Hollywood Bowl Centennial Fanfare
  • Vienne Processional
  • Prelude

Or none of these works.

All of them are identical to each other.

They are all works that have been announced, but have not been performed yet.

There is literally nothing making Prelude different in any way from any of these other 3 works.

I know that, and everything else I mentioned also has a program confirmed by the performing artist as well - all shown in the links I provided.