Buckbeak's flight - a later addition

Jar Jar

Hi all,

I was reading the conductor score of HP3, and some cue are missing, especially everything related to the cue "Buckbeak's flight".

This cue has always been a mystery for me (back from the first release in CD) as it sounds "slightly" as Zimmer chords. You know a i followed by a VI acting constantly moving back and forth, with a lot of percussion. 

I know this cue is a beloved one (stange things is that a lot of people are complaning about Zimmer but the cues which sounds the most like him are the most appreciated by JW fans - same stuff with The Spark or Jedi Steps from Star Wars 7 & 8).

But Nevermind.

So I was wondering, as this cue is not from the original manuscript, if it was a late addition from a temptrack, quickly written by JW and recorded at the end.

Maybe someone has more information about the writing and recording process ?

Thanks

I don't know about the conductor score, but the whole score was recorded between March 8-21 2004 in Abbey Road Studios, so no, Buckbeak's flight wasn't a later addition, as far as I know.

3 hours ago, Jar Jar said:

So I was wondering, as this cue is not from the original manuscript,

This is just not true. The cue is definitely in the original manuscript.

3 hours ago, Remco said:

If ‘Buckbeak’s Flight’ for you is just ‘I and VI moving back and forth with a lot of percussion’ I suggest you take a closer listen.

To be fair, every chord is the I or the VI degree of some key, and since he did not specify... :lol:

1 hour ago, Score said:

To be fair, every chord is the I or the VI degree of some key, and since he did not specify... :lol:

All great composers based their stuff on standard chord progressions etc..... what really matters is, what do they do with it? There’s the greatness of this particular cue.

There was a rumor back in the day that in the original scene, Buckbeak could not fly. So the cue was just a bunch of percussion.  However, Williams suggested it would be more dramatic if ET could fly, so they extended the scene and music to what it is today.  

On 3/28/2021 at 4:50 AM, Jar Jar said:

stange things is that a lot of people are complaning about Zimmer but the cues which sounds the most like him are the most appreciated by JW fans

This is a good point re: War Horse.