Favourite piano performances by John Williams himself?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I looked through 6 pages of previous threads that had the word 'piano' in the headline, but could find none about this subject, in particular. So I hope it hasn't been done before.   I thoug

According to this Intrada post, which I assume is simply coming from the booklet of the new release (I don't have it yet), John Williams played piano on Face of a Fugitive, a 1959 Jerry Goldsmith scor

This performance comes to mind  

I adore this little rendition of The Mission he did for Brian Williams. (Can't find it in YouTube, so can't embed it.)

And this performance of As Time Goes By where he played with Audra McDonald at Tanglewood in 2013. For JW, it may only be an accompaniment, but the two of them together is magical. I'm glad I was there that night.

Spoiler

Clearly, a recording exists of the whole thing, and I'd love to know where. There's this fan cam version but the sound quality is pretty bad:

Spoiler

On 3/29/2021 at 10:50 AM, Jay said:

According to this Intrada post, which I assume is simply coming from the booklet of the new release (I don't have it yet), John Williams played piano on Face of a Fugitive, a 1959 Jerry Goldsmith score

As with Goldsmith's previous feature score City of Fear which Williams also played piano on, the film was released in 1959 but the score was written and recorded in 1958. This was Williams's second out of three known times he worked on a Goldsmith score.

Yavar

Today's piano selection should be fairly familiar to all of you - Williams playing piano on his own score to IMAGES. In the opening cue ("In Search of Unicorns"), there's so much happening. Williams' elegant piano waltz is the fairytale music as Cathryn writes/narrates from her book, but is suddenly counterpointed by sharp dissonance (performed by Stomu Yamashta) as Altman cuts to everyday objects - real life intruding on the comfort of her imagined world.

Today's selection is another "classic" -- John Williams performing a cue (his own composition, by the way) to a montage of silent film scenes, at an event in the early 2000s. Four-handed piano, accompanied by the Boston Pops pianist whose name escapes me. He would later perform the same piece with Leonard Slatkin. Of particular interest is the fact that a certain motif here also appears in the short film THE KATHERINE REED STORY from the mid 60s. It's either a classic tune from the era that I'm not aware of, or a tune that Williams repurposed for this film sequence:

• 2 weeks later...