The Official Clint Mansell Thread

Bespin

Also known as the lead singer of alternative band Pop Will Eat Itself from the late '80s through the mid-'90s, English musician Clint Mansell (born 7 January 1963) transitioned to film and television scoring shortly thereafter, beginning with his off-kilter, often menacing mix of orchestral and electronic music for director Darren Aronofsky.

His first two films, the paranoid Pi (1998) and the drug-addled Requiem for a Dream (2000) were also Aronofsky's first feature-length projects. The pair continued to collaborate in the decades to follow, with Mansell receiving a Golden Globe nomination for his score for The Fountain (2006). In the meantime, Mansell expanded and diversified his sound for directors including Barbet Schroeder (2002's Murder by Numbers), Duncan Jones (2009's Moon), and action helmsman Rupert Sanders (2017's Ghost in a Shell).

Source: www.allmusic.com

___

What are your favourite scores of Mr. Mansell?

I think The Fountain is universally regarded as his best work. It’s a powerhouse of a score to a wonderful film. One of my favorites.

Requiem For A Dream became the template for trailers in the early 00s. I’m also quite fond of Moon

I love The Fountain. It's the album I've listened to the most (by him) and I think it works perfectly in the film as well as an album experience.

I also like what he did in Black Swan and his arrangement of Tchaikovsky's ballet themes, and his score for one of Black Mirror's episodes, San Junipero, was quite nice.

One of my favourites of his generation. REQUIEM FOR A DREAM is such a landmark score within the last two decades or so - with the montage theme being used in so many trailers at the time.

Many of my other favourites have already been mentioned, but they include PI, THE FOUNTAIN, MOON, BLACK SWAN, STOKER, NOAH, BLACK MIRROR: SAN JUNIPERO and MUTE. 

Speaking of Pop Will Eat Itself, I just love the old 1995 mashup of "Ich Bin Ein Auslander" and "This is Halloween" from NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS:

The Fountain movie managed to appruptly stop my hunger for Darren Aronofsky films.

But might give the soundtrack a dedicated listen. I just habe the Black Swan soundtrack, but was quite unimpressed how Mansell dealed with Tchaikovsky's original material. 

14 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The Fountain movie managed to appruptly stop my hunger for Darren Aronofsky films.

But might give the soundtrack a dedicated listen.

Great soundtrack to a disappointing film.

14 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I just habe the Black Swan soundtrack, but was quite unimpressed how Mansell dealed with Tchaikovsky's original material. 

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Great soundtrack to a disappointing film.

The film is brilliant!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I want to hear his score to Ghost in the Shell!

I was really looking forward to that one. A shame that we’ll probably never hear it. 

13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone else is a fan of Sahara? It's an unusual score for Mansell, but I thought it was a pretty fun Arnold-like score.

Yes, it's fun. There was this whole debate at the time about Nicholas Dodd's influence (hence the Arnold similarities), but I don't really care about all the behind-the-scenes shenanigans. I thought it was great to see Mansell do something completely different.

• 2 years later...

New Mansell OST album out Friday the 15th

1600x1600bb.webp

1 Louville (7:38)
2 Turn Up the Heat (3:52)
3 Love Lies Bleeding (4:26)
4 Penalty = Prison (2:35)
5 Family Business (1:12)
6 Red Light (3:35)
7 Pain Is Weakness (7:42)
8 I Fucking Love You, You Idiot (4:29)

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/love-lies-bleeding-original-score/1732100660

Hmmm, as a hardcore Mansell fan, that was kinda disappointing, I have to say. Lots of murmuring, moody noise in the lower register. Fairly run-of-the-mill as far as that prevalent sound goes.