The Mask of Zorro vs. The Legend of Zorro

WampaRat

The Mask of Zorro vs. The Legend of Zorro  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of Horner’s Zorro’s scores do you like the best?

• The Mask of Zorro
    • The Legend of Zorro
  2. 2. Just for fun;) Which long action finale do you prefer?

• “Leave No Witnesses...” (Mask of Zorro)
    • The Train (Legend of Zorro)

Which is your favorite of Horner’s take on the black fox? The earnest swashbuckling zeal of “The Mask of Zorro” or the more flashy exuberance of “The Legend of Zorro”?

Only saw the first film.

Great score!.

Funny you should mention the climactic fight .

Up until then , it had been a superbly crafted adventure.

But, they dragged out the finale way to long and the film lost a little of its lustre as a result.

Sadly, almost every action flick since has suffered from the same syndrome.

Even good ones like...SKYFALL...

AVENGERS
DawnPOTA..😒

I'm not as familiar with the second score (only recently re-discovered that I had the OST and gave it a new listen and did like it, but wasn't wowwed by it), but the first score is pretty great!

I like both scores equally. The first score has more distinctive highlights and therefore makes for a more memorable album. At the same time, the second one is better crafted and feels more fresh in terms of Horner's writing. So it's a tie.

Out of the two setpieces, The Train wins. Although it needs to be pointed out the first 6-7 minutes are actually the end of the sequence whereas the end is the beginning. :lol:

Karol

Horner and sequel scores, often they are so similar it's no use to separate them. A playlist of highlights combined is the perfect Zorro score. Minus the song, of course.

The last 3-minutes are more energetic and fast-paced. Some of the touches sound almost Williams-esque. Or perhaps Pope-esque. So he chose to end the sequence with a bang.

Karol

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Horner swapped the order of the music for the OST album?  Does it sound better that way?

I was much more familiar with the OST recording. So when I finally got around to seeing the film, the film version sounded off to me lol. I think the ost ends with a better bag for sure like crocodile said.

Shame Horner didn’t get to do a third score in the series. But it probably would have been attached to an even worse film:/

Off the top of my head,  did he ever score a full trilogy? I know he did two Star Treks, two zorros, two American Tails, ...can’t think of a complete trilogy though...

The old b/w TV series was shown on Norwegian TV in the mid 80s. I have a nostalgic connection to it. Saw the Banderas film a couple of times. It's fine. The Horner score, I got in the 90s and have listened to countless times since. One of my favourites of his. Saw LEGEND once, and listened to the soundtrack twice. It's fine, but cannot compare to MASK. End of transmission.

I remember watching Mask of Zorro on broadcast TV during a Sunday afternoon when I was about 11. A few months later I've watched Legend, but even as a kid I didn't liked it.

I don't remember much of Horner's both scores. I need to revisit them.

Why it hasn't been expanded yet?

41 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Off the top of my head,  did he ever score a full trilogy? I know he did two Star Treks, two zorros, two American Tails, ...can’t think of a complete trilogy though...

Negative, he never got to.  Avatar probably would have been his one and only :(

12 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

O keep thinking the Hornet one was MARK - so confusing!

MASK is a stupid title.

Why?

I thought MASK was an excellent title, as it's an origin story of sorts, i.e. when he decides to finally don (no pun intended) the mask, or rather continues the tradition of senior.

21 hours ago, WampaRat said:

I was much more familiar with the OST recording. So when I finally got around to seeing the film, the film version sounded off to me lol. I think the ost ends with a better bag for sure like crocodile said.

Shame Horner didn’t get to do a third score in the series. But it probably would have been attached to an even worse film:/

...two Cocoons, two Jack Ryans, two 48 Hrs... I wish there had been a Rocketeer trilogy. And Star Trek IV absolutely should have been his, to finish the trilogy there.

Yavar