Dan Romer - Luca (2021)

Edmilson

Last month, Dan Romer (Beasts of the Southern Wild, Beasts of No Nation, Maniac, Wendy) has recorded his score for Pixar’s upcoming animated feature Luca. The film is directed by Enrico Casarosa (La Luna) and features the voice talent of Jacob Tremblay, Jack Dylan Grazer, Emma Berman, Maya Rudolph, Marco Barricelli and Jim Gaffigan. The movie is set in a beautiful seaside town on the Italian Riviera and tells the coming-of-age story about one young boy experiencing an unforgettable summer filled with gelato, pasta and endless scooter rides. Andrea Warren (Lava, Cars 3) is producing the Pixar Animation Studios production. Luca will premiere on June 18, 2021 exclusively on Disney+.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/04/01/dan-romer-scoring-pixars-luca/

Should be pretty interesting!

Wow, didn't see that coming!

Disney getting creative with their composers lately between this and Cruella (and Soul I guess)

Disney & Pixar are really exploring 'new' composers for their movies. First Reznor & Ross for Soul and now Britell for Cruella & Lion King 2 and Romer for Luca. I think it's exciting to hear these composers work on these movies

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Britell is scoring Lion King 2 also?

Apparently it's a Lion King prequel but yes, he is, alongside Zimmer with new songs by Pharrell Williams. Barry Jenkins is supposed to direct it, hence Britell's addition (he scored Jenkins' Moonlight and If Beale Street Could Talk).

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/12/10/barry-jenkins-the-lion-king-prequel-to-feature-music-by-hans-zimmer-pharrell-williams-nicholas-britell/

Britell's got a good bunch of work lined up for the next two or so years: Cruella (2021), The Lion King prequel, Succession Season 3 (2021?), a mini-series about the L.A. Lakers (2022), Jenkins' Underground Railroad series (2021), and a Carmen adaptation by Benjamin Millepied (2021?). Britell's classical pastiche mixed with Bizet could see some really neat results and I always love to hear more Succession music. Looking forward to the whole lot!

Good for him! Definitely one of the more interesting voices out there. Glad he's getting all these bigger projects.

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Don't know Romers work.

Surely, you've heard BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD that he did with Benh Zeitlin? Remains his best work so far.

• 1 month later...

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/luca-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1571407418

image.png

1. Meet Luca (4:08)
2. Did You Hide? (1:04)
3. The Curious Fish (1:39)
4. You Forgot Your Harpoon (0:39)
5. Phantom Tail (2:09)
6. Walking Is Just Like Swimming (2:02)
7. Vespa è Libertà (1:42)
8. You Hold the Ramp (0:59)
9. Silenzio Bruno (0:41)
10. That’s the Dream (2:05)
11. The Bottom of the Ocean (1:52)
12. Take Me, Gravity (1:44)
13. Portorosso (1:36)
14. Signor Vespa (1:17)
15. This Isn’t Any Old Race (2:55)
16. Buonanotte, Boys (1:27)
17. Land Monsters Everywhere (0:55)
18. Buongiorno Massimo (3:03)
19. The Out of Town Weirdo Tax (1:48)
20. Rules Are for Rule People (1:08)
21. How Humans Swim (1:03)
22. Not Our Kid (0:49)
23. Telescope (2:46)
24. Beyond the Solar System (1:02)
25. We Don’t Need Anybody (1:54)
26. The Sea Monster (3:33)
27. I Wish I Could Take It Back (4:01)
28. The Portorosso Cup (7:34)
29. How to Find the Good Ones (5:14)
30. Go Find Out for Me (1:39)

We just watched the movie. The score worked very well in it. Not sure I'll seek it out to listen to in its own 

Just listened to the OST album. It's a pretty good score with a beautiful main theme, but the album is a bit too long and tiresome. But you can easily make a 40-minute playlist with the highlights.

There wasn't too too much score in the film either. There's a bunch of source songs and unscored scenes 

7 hours ago, Jay said:

There wasn't too too much score in the film either. There's a bunch of source songs and unscored scenes 

I think there's a lot of score, even some mickeymousing in the funny scenes.

The main theme is very charming indeed, but i prefer the theme for Lucas's friend, Alberto, like in the second half of Take me gravity. This theme in particular is similar in style to his main Wendy and Beasts theme, for past scores. 

There's quite a bit of score, but it is a supporting act more than a stand-out feature. I get the impression the score was probably temped with Giacchino music.

14 hours ago, Gustavo Joseph said:

I think there's a lot of score, even some mickeymousing in the funny scenes.

The main theme is very charming indeed, but i prefer the theme for Lucas's friend, Alberto, like in the second half of Take me gravity. This theme in particular is similar in style to his main Wendy and Beasts theme, for past scores. 

I wasn’t impressed with both the film and the score. The film seemed too much a “by the numbers Pixar” and the score unmemorable. The only scene where it soared was when Luca was flying with the girl but even there the theme was not memorable enough. I’ll check the score apart from the movie to pay attention to the Alberto theme. 
PS.: I checked your podcast “Papo de Trilha” and really enjoyed it.

6 hours ago, danbeck said:

I wasn’t impressed with both the film and the score. The film seemed too much a “by the numbers Pixar” and the score unmemorable. The only scene where it soared was when Luca was flying with the girl but even there the theme was not memorable enough. I’ll check the score apart from the movie to pay attention to the Alberto theme. 
PS.: I checked your podcast “Papo de Trilha” and really enjoyed it.

Thanks for mentioning the podcast, we really appreciate it.

7 hours ago, danbeck said:

The film seemed too much a “by the numbers Pixar”

That's interesting, because based on a review I saw, it seems a lot of people might judge it for how relatively mundane it is for a Pixar movie, given their reputation pre the 2010s. I'm not even sure if "by the numbers" would've existed prior for the company, given their then reputation for their more emotional character and story work compared to other animation studios. So in that respect, it's possible people might've come in expecting a bit too much or already being uninterested walking in.

All these middling responses to the score just make me wonder what the hell his NTTD score was if it apparently was too out there. Are they just that adverse to a traditional score at this point?

15 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

That's interesting, because based on a review I saw, it seems a lot of people might judge it for how relatively mundane it is for a Pixar movie, given their reputation pre the 2010s. I'm not even sure if "by the numbers" would've existed prior for the company, given their then reputation for their more emotional character and story work compared to other animation studios. So in that respect, it's possible people might've come in expecting a bit too much or already being uninterested walking in.

All these middling responses to the score just make me wonder what the hell his NTTD score was if it apparently was too out there. Are they just that adverse to a traditional score at this point?

Except for the Cars sequels I loved every Pixar movie but the more recent ones (Onward, Luca and even Soul) were dissapointing to me.

Soul seemed a bit underdeveloped on the potential of its plot.

Luca focused on childhood nostalgia but seemed a bit forced IMO, the humor was a bit on weak side and the plot failed to engage. 

The last great Pixar movie for me was Coco although Toy Story 4 and Incredibles II are pretty good also.

Watched the film yesterday and enjoyed it, but it definitely felt like one that would fit alongside Onward or The Good Dinosaur, good but not great (but I enjoyed it more than both of those). The score was charming if a little bit underwhelming most of the time. There used to be a time when I'd buy every Pixar score but I didn't feel inspired to buy this one (although probably will eventually). I just kept thinking what John Powell could have done (an Italian Ferdinand was what I had in mind) with this kind of material, or someone who could have effectively channeled Rota or Morricone in Cinema Paradiso mode. If it gets an Oscar nod I'll be livid... lol.