How highly would you rank John Williams's Nixon?

Aenae

I consider Nixon to be his best film score and also his best album.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind contains Williams's best music in its best two cues, but the album doesn't really work for me as a whole, it is much too long and contains what feels as too much uninteresting filler. For most part CE3K doesn't really get more interesting before the second half of the album. Nixon works much better as an album for me. It still isn't a top favourite of mine by any means, but I do like it.

Does anyone else here consider Nixon to be John Williams's best work? How highly would you rank Nixon within Williams's oeuvre? I'm curious if there is someone else here who considers Nixon to be JW's best work or at least ranks it high among all his work.

I prefer JFK but could be because I liked the film and man a lot more.  Perhaps I need to revisit Nixon though as I can't remember anything about it.

I like much of JFK, but there are parts of JFK that I don't like which is the problem. I don't like the theme parts - the four tracks in which where we hear the theme in a big way and the Arlington track, which is to me screams "please think of Barber's Adagio for Strings". The rest of the score is good though even if we are left with only 17 minutes of music when the parts that I don't like are programmed out.

I much prefer Nixon because I find JFK to be a more flawed effort because of what I wrote above. Nixon works as an album for me without me having to take out things.

I rank NIXON highly, although I don't know where - exactly - position-wise. It's not top 10, but could possibly be top 20. "Meeting With Mao" remains one of my alltime favourite JW cues, and part of my "religious sound" playlist.

Born On The Fourth Of July is my favorite Williams score for an Oliver Stone film and I consider it one of the very best scores of Williams oeuvre.

Nixon is great as well, although it doesn’t reach the melodic and dramatic heights of BOT4OJ. 

The Turbulent Years and Growing Up In Whittier stand out the most for me.

“The Meeting with Mao” has always stuck with me as one of the best uses of Williams’ music ever. Kind of throws water on any discussions that Williams only knows brassy bombast and can’t do dramatic scoring.

It's not his best, but NIXON is a solid 4/5, for me. It's an underrated score, from an underappreciated film. I rank it up there among the 4s, with MINORITY REPORT, CINDERELLA LIBERTY, AND PRISONER OF AZKABAN.

On 4/6/2021 at 11:52 PM, Aenae said:

For most part CE3K doesn't really get more interesting before the second half of the album.

Wha'?! :o Get thee to a nunnery!

Nixon is a pretty good score indeed.  Plenty of gravitas.

I did not like it too much in the film, but that might be because the film felt heavy and misfocused and did not need any more weight, even of the good kind.  

5 hours ago, Sandor said:

Born On The Fourth Of July is my favorite Williams score for an Oliver Stone film and I consider it one of the very best scores of Williams oeuvre.

Nixon is great as well, although it doesn’t reach the melodic and dramatic heights of BOT4OJ. 

The Turbulent Years and Growing Up In Whittier stand out the most for me.

My " problem" with FOURTH is the main theme- albeit gorgeous- is too close to TURANDOT. Stone probably demoed with it , as he did with PLATOON - Adagio for Strings- and JW tried to emulate itm

I find this connection a bit far fetched, it's really only three notes in the middle of the phrase, and the gesture/movement of the piece is completely different (Puccini is more static, a grandiose statement, whereas Williams is full of energy and forward drive).

• 3 months later...

It's a great score through and through. "Meeting With Mao" remains one of my top 10 favourite JW cues, probably, and an example of the religious/pastoral sound of his that I love so much.