Don Davis' THE MATRIX (1999) - 2021 Complete Edition by Varese Sarabande (2xCD / 2xSACD / 3xLP)

Jay

Well they've outdone themselves on that Matrix packaging. Wow, it's stunning!

Why can't we get lavish box sets like this for Star Wars?! Cursed Disney! :crymore:

Still no word on who produced and mastered this new Matrix expansion? 

3 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I sure don't like that artwork  :/

...are we devolving and going back to the 90s' general vomit?

6 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Can't tell if there's a CD layer...

I sure don't like that artwork  :/

2 separate releases. I fixed the links.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

...are we devolving and going back to the 90s' general vomit?

Me, or the designer?

Just now, Ollie said:

2 separate releases. I fixed the links.

Hey hey!! Time to dance and sing! Maybe I can swap out the cover.

image.png

Matrix: The Complete Score (2-SACD)
Regular price$ 39.98

Matrix: The Complete Score (2-CD)
Regular price$ 24.98

Few blockbusters can claim to be as influential as The Matrix (1999), written and directed by the Wachowskis. From its super high-concept that has wormed its way into the public’s imagination (what if we’re all just living in a computer simulation?), to Keanu Reeves’ iconic hero Neo, to the brilliant, jaw-dropping and story-based visual effects, The Matrix delivered on all fronts. Its three films grossed over $1.6 billion worldwide, and a fourth is on the way.

The Matrix demanded a score that was as unique, sophisticated and imaginative as its concept and action—and got one from composer Don Davis. Davis, who scored the Wachowskis’ Bound (1996), reinvented the symphonic language of the action blockbuster by drawing on cutting-edge concert-hall minimalism and his own background as an avant-garde composer, while maintaining the energy, pace and density required of a studio action film.

From the clashing-brass “reflections,” to the racing strings, pounding percussion and flittering, repeating musical “cells,” the Matrix score fits hand-in-glove with the film’s concept of a computer-controlled reality—and offers a unique musical thumbprint that is recognizable sometimes only from a single note or chord. It is the rare commercial triumph that is also an artistic landmark.

The Matrix was released by Varèse Sarabande at the time of the film, and then in a Deluxe Edition that fit as much of the score as possible on one CD. By popular demand, this new 2CD set, (also available for Record Store Day as a 3LP set), presents the complete score. Liner notes feature a new interview with Don Davis conducted by Kaya Savas.

Limited to 2000 copies.

TRACKLIST
Disc One:

1. Logo / The Matrix Main Title (0:55)
2. Trinity Infinity (6:00)
3. Neo Con Brio (0:32)
4. Follow The White Rabbit (0:15)
5. Neo On The Edge (3:24)
6. Through The Surveillance Monitor (0:59)
7. Unable To Speak (1:14)
8. Bait And Switch (3:16)
9. Switched For Life (3:36)
10. Switched At Birth (2:43)
11. Switches Brew (2:27)
12. Cold Hearted Switch (1:40)
13. Nascent Nauseous Neo (4:00)
14. A Morpheus Moment (1:39)
15. Bow Whisk Orchestra (1:23)
16. Domo Showdown (1:13)
17. Switch Or Break Show (1:05)
18. Shake, Borrow, Switch (0:39)
19. Switch Works Her Boa (0:56)
20. Bring Me Dinner (0:39)
21. The System (0:37)
22. Freeze Face (1:52)
23. Switch Woks Her Boar (2:07)
24. Cypher Cybernetic (0:59)
25. Ignorance Is Bliss / Cyber Cyphernetic (1:51)
26. See Who? (0:26)

Disc Two:
1. Switch Out (3:01)
2. Boon Spoy (1:08)
3. Oracle Cookies (1:30)
4. Threat Mix (6:05)
5. Exit Mr. Hat (2:57)
6. On Your Knees, Switch (4:43)
7. Mix The Art (2:10)
8. Whoa, Switch Brokers (4:01)
9. The Cure (1:35)
10. It’s The Smell (1:57)
11. The Lobby (0:27)
12. No More Spoons (1:02)
13. Dodge This (1:08)
14. Fast Learning (0:44)
15. Ontological Shock (4:16)
16. That’s Gotta Hurt (5:17)
17. Surprise (4:06)
18. He’s The One Alright (6:56)

Music Composed, Orchestrated and Conducted by DON DAVIS

Produced by DON DAVIS
Complete Edition Executive Producers: CARY E.MANSFIELD and CHAS FERRY
Mastered by CHAS FERRY

3xLP: pushed to July 17th: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/13632

2xCD: https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/cd-club/products/don-davis-the-matrix-the-complete-score-2-cd

2xSACD: https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/cd-club/products/don-davis-matrix-the-the-complete-score-2-sacd

41 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Me, or the designer?

:lol:

You! This is obviously the greatest cover ever made. ;)

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

:lol:

You! This is obviously the greatest cover ever made. ;)

It's up there!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anyone else love this score and super, super pleased today to be able to purchase a complete release of it?

I've held out all this time, I've never bought any version of the first Matrix score, and I have the other two expansions, so YES! Although I think I'm gonna wait to see what the initial reaction is rather than buy it immediately.

Why would there be any negative reactions?  We've all had all (but like 90 seconds) of this music for 20 years and we know we love it

At only 2,000 copies, you might not be able to wait on it

I constantly struggled to justify buying the DE given the missing music (and indeed never did) - it's nice to finally be able to get the whole thing.

My current playlist is around 45 mins, so I can imagine cutting it down a tad. Is that Clubbed to Death bit included in this set? I was never sure whether that was considered part of the score, or just tracked in.

Just now, Richard Penna said:

My current playlist is around 45 mins, so I can imagine cutting it down a tad. Is that Clubbed to Death bit included in this set? I was never sure whether that was considered part of the score, or just tracked in.

Judging by Jay's spreadsheet, everything's included.

I'll definitely be picking this up, but might wait for first reactions before taking the plunge.

Now I just need LLL to reissue Revolutions so I can complete the trilogy... :)

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why would there be any negative reactions?  We've all had all (but like 90 seconds) of this music for 20 years and we know we love it

At only 2,000 copies, you might not be able to wait on it

I'm sure the music is great, I'm just interested to see if people like how the album was produced.

56 minutes ago, crocodile said:

This particular score is worthy of a SACD extra cash. Definitely :)

Karol

I’m just going for the standard CD.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anyone else love this score and super, super pleased today to be able to purchase a complete release of it?

Yes I ordered mine immediately. Standard CD version. 

It's not necessarily the type of score you "enjoy" but certainly one you respect and appreciate. In that respect I put it in the same category as something like the original Planet of the Apes. It certainly deserves multiple format releases to be enjoyed in its fully glory. I've got the original album, DE and isolated track. This closes the book. I can't wait to finally create a complete trilogy playlist. 

I will probably watch the film this weekend. Haven't seen it on my new Blu-ray player and TV.

Now... is this a hybrid SACD or not? 🤔

Karol

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Is that Clubbed to Death bit included in this set? I was never sure whether that was considered part of the score, or just tracked in.

That's "4M2PR The System", disc 1 track 21 of this set.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I'll definitely be picking this up, but might wait for first reactions before taking the plunge.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

I'm sure the music is great, I'm just interested to see if people like how the album was produced.

I don't really know how to interpret these comments.  It's just every cue in its own track (apart from one instance), just like the old composer promo was.  The old composer promo is great, this will be almost exactly the same, just mastered instead of unmastered (and you can already listen to the mastering via the samples on Varese's page), and with 3 very short cues that weren't on that now included.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't get that argument - if you're just playing the set in sequence, why does it matter whether they're combined?

It's annoying with short cues with silence between. Makes for a choppy listening experience.

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't get that argument - if you're just playing the set in sequence, why does it matter whether they're combined?

Because sometimes the silence between certain cues can disrupt the flow for them

Purchased! Varese has been getting my money with their releases lately!

I've actually never been much into The Matrix, but honestly I watched it on an old 11" CRT screen once like 10 years ago, so I feel it's due for a revisit. I've always heard great things about the score, so what better to truly experience it for the first time away from the film?

Just now, Smeltington said:

Those have the worst aspect ratios...

Indeed. I'm 99% sure it was a VHS or a Fullscreen DVD, which may have been open matte. I don't recall. The resolution and sound were poor though. Lol.

Just now, Smeltington said:

If you've only seen it that way, you've never really seen it at all!

I def saw that movie on VHS first too, though. But I was still hooked.

I was certainly intrigued by it and thought it was good, but have just never managed to revisit it. It'll be like watching it for the first time again!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Bummer, I was hoping more cues would be combined for optimal listening experience.

"FOOLISH boy! Zis is {fill in the label], ve don't combine cues here!"

12 minutes ago, crocodile said:

They changed the description from SACD to 2-5.1 SACD. 

Karol

Yes I was just asking that. So it’s both stereo and Multi channel but is it Hybrid.

OH BTW, I never had any of the previous cd or heard the score but Iam willing to be blown away by it😋

18 minutes ago, Amer said:

Yes I was just asking that. So it’s both stereo and Multi channel but is it Hybrid.

OH BTW, I never had any of the previous cd or heard the score but Iam willing to be blown away by it😋

You've seen the movie though....right?

Karol

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Anyone else see this film in theaters on opening day?

I saw it as an XVID (or whatever the standard format was back in the day) on my PC screen with stereo speakers. Probably the first pirate download film I've watched.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

You've seen the movie though....right?

Karol

Yes long ago. But want to see it again. I'm sure the music is great but somehow it slipped away from me all these years.