Don Davis' THE MATRIX (1999) - 2021 Complete Edition by Varese Sarabande (2xCD / 2xSACD / 3xLP)

Jay

The DE was just edited so that it could fit on one disc though, wasn't it, only inherently forcing Davis' curation.

If Townson had bothered to go for a proper 2-CD presentation at that time, there'd have been no need for this edition, right?

Among a lot of little things missing, it was the microedit retained from the OST in Ontological Shock which constantly prevented me from buying the DE.

32 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Including the distractingly micro-edited Trinity Infinity.

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is it the same edit as on the OST?

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea

Then I don't see anything wrong with the micro edits, as this version flows very well.

32 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Then I don't see anything wrong with the micro edits, as this version flows very well.

The unedited version flows very well, too. You can get used to the edits, but that doesn't mean they're good edits, or not noticeably annoying when you pay enough attention.

12 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The unedited version flows very well, too. You can get used to the edits, but that doesn't mean they're good edits, or not noticeably annoying when you pay enough attention.

Are you saying the edits are badly done on a technical level?

I'm no music editor, I can't tell if they could have been done better or not. But as I remember there are several abrupt cuts in the music that seem very artificial when you're familiar with the full cue. Artificial as in obviously created in post production.

19 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

For a concert suite presentation, it may be good to rewrite these kinds of cues and remove the "downtimes", but then you'd also do more restructuring and make the changed thing work again. Simply editing the existing recording of the music as written doesn't achieve that as often as it's claimed, I think, and at the same time is often harmful to the music's integrity.

This though has also struck me. Have you listened to any of the re-recordings of Trinity Infinity? Do they use the OST version, and if so, does the "edited" transitions sound less abrupt?

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This though has also struck me. Have you listened to any of the re-recordings of Trinity Infinity? Do they use the OST version, and if so, does the "edited" transitions sound less abrupt?

I didn't even know there are re-recordings. Well, except for the Symphony - I keep forgetting that exists, and whenever I remember it does, I wonder if it's worth picking up, and especially if the performance is good enough.

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

Isn't it the same situation though?

7 hours ago, Jay said:

No, not at all. Davis curated highlights for the last expansion, even editing down some cues from their full length. 

Wasn't the DE the opposite - consumer friendly in its presentation with bad sound?

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I didn't even know there are re-recordings. Well, except for the Symphony - I keep forgetting that exists, and whenever I remember it does, I wonder if it's worth picking up, and especially if the performance is good enough.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Isn't that the original recording? The official Varese page credits it as:

Main Title / Trinity Infinity (The Matrix) (03:54) Don Davis / Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Davis (or someone on his team) took the words "The Wachowski Brothers" or "The Wachowskis" and created anagrams from those letters for several cue titles ("Switch Woks Her Boar").  Some are anagrams of "The Matrix" too ("Exit Mr Hat"). 

Lol now I finally understand "Saw Bitch Workhorse"!

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's not a re-recording, that's the exact OST track unchanged. 

Read this

On 21/01/2022 at 7:49 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

For a concert suite presentation, it may be good to rewrite these kinds of cues and remove the "downtimes", but then you'd also do more restructuring and make the changed thing work again. Simply editing the existing recording of the music as written doesn't achieve that as often as it's claimed, I think, and at the same time is often harmful to the music's integrity.

I still think it's a good thing when the composer curates a selection for a satisfying listening experience away from the film. It's about getting the most listenable result out of the material at hand.