Don Davis' THE MATRIX (1999) - 2021 Complete Edition by Varese Sarabande (2xCD / 2xSACD / 3xLP)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/photos/a.207302096128750/1667141383478140/     Who can figure out the track list?     Here's hoping a CD edition

This would be awful if it was vinyl only. It's like finally getting all 9 Star Wars full scores and them putting it only on cassette. 

The original score album is a brisk 30 minute jaunt through all the score's highlights.  He did a good job of picking which highlights you'd want if forced to choose 30 minutes (he basically took 35is

2 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

Had anybody the chance to listen to the 5.1. mix yet? I am curious if it is a conservative mix with just some reverb in the surrounds, or more adventurous with instruments surrounding the listener. With this score I would welcome the latter.

Wasn't the original score already mixed in 5.1, at least with regards to the synths? As far as I remember (reading - I've never been to any of them), the live performances used surround setups for the synth parts. Although the score published by Omni doesn't have any spatial information for them (but possibly the synth placement was supervised by Davis and that data - or perhaps the exact same audio tracks - used for the live performances).

13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Wasn't the original score already mixed in 5.1, at least with regards to the synths? As far as I remember (reading - I've never been to any of them), the live performances used surround setups for the synth parts. Although the score published by Omni doesn't have any spatial information for them (but possibly the synth placement was supervised by Davis and that data - or perhaps the exact same audio tracks - used for the live performances).

Do you know, how the synth part was mixed then? only ambience in surround or more aggressive with directional placing?

The reason I am unsure whether to get the SACD is that I am mostly interested in interesting creative surround mixes like those from Pink Floyd. If this is the case here, I would gladly pay the premium. If surround means only ambience, well that would be less interesting in a recording that is surely created very artificially in a studio and not reflecting the natural glorious acoustics of a good concert hall like in the John Williams in Vienna Plural recording. Ambience I can recreate with Dolby Pro Logic or Anthem Music on my Receiver, for that I do not need 5.1.

Here's a description a friend made regarding the prior editions when making his own custom DE:

I listened to all available versions and the best sounding version of this score is... the OST from 1999. Why? Because it was remixed for the OST while the complete/Varese use the filmmix that was probably downmixed from a multitrack source used for the film itself. As a result, the OST far surpasses the other versions sonically, the mix is better suited for the medium with sonic events having a clearly defined space, sounding cleaner, warmer and more dynamic. The complete/Varese version lacks punch and boasts a rather curious placement of synthesized elements within the mix.

It kind of makes you wonder how they approached it for the new release, given the speed/frequency thing that was mentioned being shared with the original album. It could imply they're going a similar route with that, but then there's the matter of the 5.1 that likely is the film mix he's referring to. Would they have merely downimixed it for the stereo track, or have made both their own distinct mixes? Actually, is the isolated track on the DVD 5.1 as well? That could potentially be useful for comparison if a rip ever surfaces.

It would be nice to get some clarification about the frequency/speed issue, yeah.

Is this what Davis' studio supplied them?

Ultimately, either the OST and this new release are incorrect, or the promo and previous Varese DE are. Different mixes don't result in frequencies changing.

1 hour ago, Gurkensalat said:

Do you know, how the synth part was mixed then? only ambience in surround or more aggressive with directional placing?

I know absolutely nothing, I'm just commenting with scraps of information I seem to remember reading over the years. ;) 

13 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Just got mine - the samples on Varese's site sound the same as this set, and also the same as whatever OST rip I had previously.

Is it running at the wrong speed, like the OST + samples?

On 6/11/2021 at 8:38 AM, Richard Penna said:

Is that Clubbed to Death bit included in this set? I was never sure whether that was considered part of the score, or just tracked in.

On 6/11/2021 at 9:48 AM, Jay said:

That's "4M2PR The System", disc 1 track 21 of this set.

I just listened to Track 21 and it does not contain any material from Clubbed to Death. It's just straight Davis underscore.

On another note, I think this album sounds great!

55 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

I just listened to Track 21 and it does not contain any material from Clubbed to Death. It's just straight Davis underscore.

On another note, I think this album sounds great!

I know, it's the overlay heard in the film over that track that was never released before. I assumed that's what he was asking about.  I don't think he was askimg about a techno track that's been available for 24 years already