John Williams returns for Indiana Jones 5

TownerFan

Just amazing news.

And sometimes I wonder why people that are totally cynical about it are even on this forum – Even if the score turns out to be just ‘serviceable’, more Williams as he nears his 90s is *always* a good thing. And I have a feeling he’ll still do that Spielberg film.

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I'm not worried about John Williams, but when this movie opens, Ford will be 80 years old... Wow. I wonder what kind of a globe-trotting adventure he'll be sent off to. 😂

Also wonder whether Shia will be involved again. 

If Johnny.can compose at ninety, Harry can adventure at eighty!😁

2 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

That's the best news of the month!!!

Can't wait for this....

John Williams compondrá la BSO de 'Indiana Jones 5'

Even if Spielberg isn't on the project but who knows he might still come back with a lot of luck

Lucas didn't DIRECT EMPIRE, and that score turned out okay😁😄

1 hour ago, Remco said:

Just amazing news.

And sometimes I wonder why people that are totally cynical about are even on this forum – Even if the score turns out to be just ‘serviceable’, more Williams as he nears his 90s is *always* a good thing. And I have a feeling he’ll still do that Spielberg film.

Well there isn't anything cynical if you think this will be nothing special, the previous one wasn't.  Give me some Book Thief situation.

I like when a new Indy film is announced because it gives me hope of expanded editions of the trilogy. It happened back in 2008, so it may happen in 2022.

Hope never dies (that's my mother-in-law).

That's great news, I'm glad Indiana Jones will remain in JW's private preserve (for now at least). 

Now they just need to make that damn movie as best as they can, and let's hope for good things with the music. I do think it has more potential than the Young Spielberg biopic. 

27 minutes ago, phbart said:

I like when a new Indy film is announced because it gives me hope of expanded editions of the trilogy. It happened back in 2008, so it may happen in 2022.

Woah, I never even thought of that.  Holy cow.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Lucas didn't DIRECT EMPIRE, and that score turned out okay😁😄

Indeed but Spielberg is better than Lucas and my favourite director so I'm kind of sad that he doesn't come back to finish the Indiana Jones saga in a last great movie. Anyway I'm sure Mangold should do well if Kennedy doesn't do stupid choice, his two last movies where actually quite extraordinary.

Interesting to see the JW news stack up this week after a few weeks of none - the schedule for Tanglewood with him planned for multiple nights and then the Indy 5 news. They certainly did not have to share that news now, but I am glad they did. I suspect for LF/Disney, JW helps give them credibility on the film even without Spielberg.

As for Steven's other movie, I suspect JW will do both. 

Complaining about Williams composing Indiana Jones 5 before it even comes out has got to be the most bafflingly sour thing on this forum since the trumpet flub groundhog day.

I understand that this is a space for extreme outliers of all shapes and sizes, but why can't we just have nice things and wait for Williams to unfold whatever it is that he will actually do?

3 hours ago, phbart said:

Question is do we get complete editions of the first 4 movies and just a plain old OST for 5 and then have to wait years for the expanded 5th Indy score?

20 minutes ago, phbart said:

Does the music belongs to Disney? I know the films up to Indy 5 don't. But I have no clue about the music rights.

All the music belongs to Lucasfilm and Disney now, yes. 

I had to double check it wasn't an april 1st post I missed.

Anyways this is amazing news, I never expected Williams to do it with Spielberg dropping out. 

I just hope he doesn't pull out to score a Spielberg historical drama that will invariably come out at the same time

7 hours ago, T.RASK said:

Well there isn't anything cynical if you think this will be nothing special, the previous one wasn't.  Give me some Book Thief situation.

But you do love the SW sequel trilogy, right? I think it'll be closer to that than Indy 4 which is already 13 years old.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Disney owns ALL Lucasfilm properties?

Paramount none?

Correct. Disney bought all the IP rights from George. The only thing George kept was Skywalker Ranch (which he rents in part to Disney for Skywalker Sound) and, as I understand it, the rights to the Skywalker Sound name if Disney were to shut down that division. I had also read that Disney bought out any future rights Paramount might have had.

Paramount has been the distribution company for Indiana Jones and they still control those rights. I am not sure how long (or if there is an end date). Young Indy was on ABC (which is partly how George got to meet Bob Iger and hence how Disney got to buy Lucasfilm). However, Lucasfilm owned those rights (along with the books, comics, etc I suppose). 

Also, I think everything requires Steven Spielberg's ok to use the property in any way.

I actually do respect it, it was clearly such a good idea to always find a way to fade in some mountain. It's going to be weird to start the movie without this...

46 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The movie will open like the Star Wars sequels: silent LucasFilm logo, then the first scene of the movie. No Disney castle nor Paramount mountain.

Exactly. Disney company is not the producer of this movie, only a distributor.  But it's possible that they will find a way to somehow connect the Lucasfilm logo with the first scene.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

It is the same like with the Star Wars sequels. This will probably be the only thing really looking forward to. And the only part that will stand the test of time.

I would agree.  However, another reason for hope for a good film itself is just how much Ford threw himself into the role for Crystal Skull.  He will bring his A-game, but that movie showed that such was not sufficient.  

12 hours ago, lairdo said:

Paramount has been the distribution company for Indiana Jones and they still control those rights. I am not sure how long (or if there is an end date). Young Indy was on ABC (which is partly how George got to meet Bob Iger and hence how Disney got to buy Lucasfilm). However, Lucasfilm owned those rights (along with the books, comics, etc I suppose). 

Disney bought the rights to distribute and market future Indiana Jones movies a year after they purchased Lucasfilm. Paramount still owns the distribution rights to the first four and will have financial participation in any future Disney IJ movies, i.e. The Avengers and Iron Man 3.

On 4/9/2021 at 9:16 AM, Drew said:

Unpopular opinion: I care more about a new Indy score more than another Spielberg drama score.

Maybe more unpopular opinion: I care FAR more about a new Indy score more than I care for another Indy movie at this point

I realized after this announcement Friday that I was somehow not super familiar with his CRYSTAL SKULL score.  I revisited/listened to it again Friday and was (almost) surprised how solid/good it is!  It's not a sexy "introduce several new amazing themes" type of score (though the 'crystal skull' motif is striking!), but the score works well for the film and there are some great moments.  IMO his score is easily the highlight of the entire film (though the campus chase scene is a legit Spielberg all-timer as far as staging and the way it's shot)

27 minutes ago, Hedji said:

I am a huge fan of Indiana Jones.  I am a huge fan of John Williams.  Couldn't be more happy.

What if Indiana Jones was recast and John Williams played the role? ;D