John Williams returns for Indiana Jones 5

TownerFan

1 hour ago, Tom said:

The Discussion main page reads as "Official: John Williams ret"  My mind keeps filling it in as "retires."  

I literally just came here to say that. Just now was the first time I noticed that and was like, "oh shit!" only to realize it was just the IJ5 thread. :lol:

I dunno, we've been in this situation a dozen times where a new Indiana Jones film is "imminent" only to be delayed several years

Due to Ford's age, this is a now or never proposition.  I think it gets made on time.  I also think if everything goes perfectly, it will be a 3 star movie (and I do not expect everything to go perfectly).  

3 hours ago, Hedji said:

I'd like to hear him lean heavily on the A and B themes, but new arrangements instead of direct quotes.

Yes. If he uses those themes as much as he used the Force Theme in the last two Star Wars it should be more than enough ! 

I’m hoping he writes something similar to TROS regarding the End Credits section. Definitely feature one new theme, but then maybe do a selection of other themes, and then end it with a fast paced version of the Raiders March similar to how Raiders ends. I do think it’d be cool if somewhere in the film we get to hear a reprise of the Young Indy motif, even just a quick one, that would be stellar.

I also read the Darabont script and thought it did a great job at having those moments of reflection. (Loved that museum scene) It never got bogged down in the nostalgia. But it gave the audience a chance to catch up with our favorite adventurer. It’s odd that KOTCS borrowed a lot of ideas from THAT script. But none of its heart.

An odd parallel with the rejected Ep 9: Duel of the Fates script and Rise of Skywalker I feel.

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

That's been my number one wish for a final Indiana Jones film since mumblings began after KOCS. One of its biggest disappointments is that it didn't bother exploring such themes or addressing Indy's age in a meaningful way. There was rich potential to explore those ideas and Indy coming to terms with his life and legacy, all wasted. About the only thing that came close was the brief discussion around losing Marcus and Henry.

One strange thing about Crystal Skull is that while it was filmed in the summer of 2007 when Harrison Ford was 65, it was set in 1957, when the Indiana Jones character was only 58.  It's kinda silly because Ford looked and acted like of retirement age the entire time, even though he was supposed to be still be middle aged, so maybe that's why there's no scenes like that

8 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Did you guys all see this when it dropped in 2016?

Yea, we had a thread about it

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26656-indiana-jones-animated-short

It's cool but sooooo short

Oh yes. Far too short. I believe the intent was just to create an “opening titles” ala Batman The Animated series for a hypothetical Indy series. A Proof of Concept. I would definitely contribute to a kickstarter to raise money for a full episode. Only a few guys hand animated it all by themselves!

18 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Oh yes. Far too short. I believe the intent was just to create an “opening titles” ala Batman The Animated series for a hypothetical Indy series.

There's even a small apparence of the Batman's theme at 0:20

I would definitely buy for a serie like that one. It's absolutely great work and I would prefer Lucasfilm to do this (with a JW score of course) over another movies but unfortunately I'm not running Lucasfilm :lol:

Ooh yeah. That’s a great baddie death. We need a big dude getting crushed/chopped up by something in this new one. In general there was an overall lack of danger/serious threat/dire urgency in Indy 4.  

I know the response of shocked parents at the time Temple of Doom came out made Spielberg swing the tone back in the other direction for Last Crusade. But it seemed like he was still soooo concerned about it that he pushed Indy 4 even lighter than one. 

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

There's only one shot in the entire film of someone being shot: when Indy's gun accidentally shoots some soldier in the foot.

Wow, I didn't know that.  That's pretty sad.

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Why would you have that super-awesome tree-cutting vehicle with rotating saws and a gigantic human-sized mulcher, then proceed to not do anything with it, at all?  :banghead:

There should've been multiple grisly deaths with that thing! It's like the sole purpose of this design was to be the center of an awesome action sequence with heaps of violent gags like the rock crusher in TOD.

Spielberg in the 80s wouldn't have missed that opportunity.

Great point

The closest thing to a "grisly death" KOCS has is when that guy gets covered with ants, but it just looks so... goofy.  It's nothing like the original's similar deaths

As one of the biggest fans on JWFan of his "adult" dramas in the 21st century, I completely agree that he is not right for movies like Indy anymore.   I don't lament this fact though.  He's a different filmmaker than he was 40 years ago, still a great one for me, and I hope he's finally done trying to recapture that old energy.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

The closest thing to a "grisly death" KOCS has is when that guy gets covered with ants, but it just looks so... goofy.  It's nothing like the original's similar deaths

All the CGI looks almost stylistically goofy, like they were intentionally going for a campy, cartoon tone with the VFX. The shot of the soldiers on fire after the rocket sled is comical too. Completely deflates any realism or tension.

And the less said about the crotch-slapping trees and vine-swinging monkeys, the better.

I have no idea why the entire jungle chase looks so bad but it's really quite shocking for a Spielberg film to have such poor VFX. 

Ready Player One wasn't perfect but that was reassuringly Spielbergian for me, I really loved it. I haven't seen it since and probably need to take another look at it by now. 

The trouble with Steven these days is he has to go out of his way to recall his golden touch, adventurous escapism just doesn't come naturally to him anymore. But when he really tries, he's still miles better than Abrams, Trevorrow, and all the Marvel directors put together. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Why would you have that super-awesome tree-cutting vehicle with rotating saws and a gigantic human-sized mulcher, then proceed to not do anything with it, at all?  :banghead:

I remember seeing the leaked photo of that vehicle and thinking “oooh boy! Someone’s getting tossed into THAT and it’s not gonna be pretty...”

nope.

On 4/13/2021 at 3:39 PM, Jay said:

I hope this score has a really good, strong, memorable, long-lined theme for the film's macguffin.

Raider's Ark Theme is amazing

Temple of Doom's Shankara Stones Theme is great

Last Crusade's Grail Theme is amazing

Crystal Skull's Crystal Skull Theme is..... eh... it's fine

Let's go back to the strong memorable themes that the biblical artifacts had!

At the very least, I hope it's more like Tintin's Unicorn Theme, and less like the Call Of The Crystal...

I might say that the Unicorn thorn is maybe the best mcguffin theme Williams has written - simply because it is an actual theme or melody so to say. Most other mcguffins themes are motifs or just a series of short descending or ascending phrases - like the Crystal Skull theme or the Stone them from HP1.

But the unicorn theme is a proper theme with an A part and B part and lends itself to several transmutations and epic performances and mystery versions and action versions and what not.

So the Unicorn theme is definitely the best model for the mcguffin.

On a side note, we have no idea what the mcguffin is yet, right?

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I dunno, Tintin was only 10 years ago and that was a great action adventure flick.  He could have another one of those in him.

I am curious what the mix between drama and fantasty/adventure/whatever the childhood movie will be

Where was it announced that the childhood movie would have fantasy/adventure elements? 

28 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I really want the score to have a 'globetrotting' feel, similar to Raiders and especially The Last Crusade.

You don't feel like you travel anywhere in KOTCS.  Mostly due to the film.

That's a great point. 

• 1 month later...

Interesting. Williams tends not to read scripts, but I guess now that he tends to spread-out his work on scores, developing ideas from the script gives him more time.

Fascinating! JW has said time and time again that he hates reading scripts in advance of seeing the film proper. I wonder if this was his way of checking whether the film was worth signing onto?

Hopefully it's a net positive that he's already writing a score in his head. I mean, really... it's Indiana Jones, and they do hold to a certain formula. So if this means he can spend more time coming up with themes for the McGuffins then I'm totally down for that!