Danny Elfman's BIG MESS (2021)

Disco Stu

Funny. After acquiring this in digital format (I need to get it on CD too), and putting it in my harddrive folder, I was reminded that this is the fourth Elfman album that starts with the word "Big", alongside BIG TOP PEE WEE, BIG EYES and BIG FISH.

Personally, I'm not sold. It's not really my cuppa tea. Too much fuzz and noise for my taste. It's all too dense. But it has some good tracks. "Happy" remains the best song. I also like the more downtempo ones, like "Dance With Lemurs". "Get Over It" sounds like it's going to break into "Viva Las Vegas" at any point. :)

Listening to the entire album this morning. And so...Danny Elfman produces his best work...outside of film medium...yet again. I also long for a true great film score from him but, having heard this and his other works, is that really necessary? There's so much more to explore.

Fewer Dumbos, Dr Dolittles and Justice Leagues and more stuff like this, please!

Karol

• 1 year later...

Sick!  It looks like it’s missing four or five remixes that were available on the ludicrous vinyl-only box, but it will be good to be able to hear most of them (plus extras)!  I pre-ordered.

By the way, more money goes to the artist if you purchase through Bandcamp, and they let you download in lossless unlike ITunes.

https://dannyelfman.bandcamp.com/album/bigger-messier