1982 was a hell of a year for film scores - Discuss!

Jay

Best and most underrated scores of 1982  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think are the three best scores of 1982?

• Night Crossing by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris
    • Rocky III by Bill Conti
    • Poltergeist by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan by James Horner
    • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial by John Williams
    • Blade Runner by Vangelis
    • The Thing by Ennio Morricone
    • The Secret of NIMH by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Tron by Wendy Carlos
    • The Challenge by Jerry Goldsmith
    • An Officer and a Gentleman by Jack Nitzsche
    • Yes, Giorgio by Michael J Lewis & John Williams
    • First Blood by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Monsignor by John Williams
    • 48 Hrs by James Horner
    • Gandhi by Ravi Shankar & George Fenton
    • Sophie's Choice by Marvin Hamlisch
    • Trail of the Pink Panther by Henry Mancini
    • The Dark Crystal by Trevor Jones
  2. 2. What do you think are the most underrated scores of 1982?

• Night Crossing by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris
    • Rocky III by Bill Conti
    • Poltergeist by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan by James Horner
    • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial by John Williams
    • Blade Runner by Vangelis
    • The Thing by Ennio Morricone
    • The Secret of NIMH by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Tron by Wendy Carlos
    • The Challenge by Jerry Goldsmith
    • An Officer and a Gentleman by Jack Nitzsche
    • Yes, Giorgio by Michael J Lewis & John Williams
    • First Blood by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Monsignor by John Williams
    • 48 Hrs by James Horner
    • Gandhi by Ravi Shankar & George Fenton
    • Sophie's Choice by Marvin Hamlisch
    • Trail of the Pink Panther by Henry Mancini
    • The Dark Crystal by Trevor Jones
    • I don't think any of these scores are underrated.

36 minutes ago, Ollie said:

I don’t even remember what was released in 2007.

Spider-Man 3, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Shrek the Third, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Rise of the Silver Surfer, The Simpsons Movie, the fourth Die Hard (the one in which Bruce Willis throws a cab into an helicopter), 300, the aforementioned Beowulf, The Golden Compass, I Am Legend...

Yeah, it was a shitty year.

Don't forget AvP Requiem, Ghost Rider, Hitman, The Last Legion, 88 Minutes, Sleuth...

But we had also terrific movies too this year: No Country for Old Man, American Gangster, Gone Baby Gone, Charlie Wilson's War, Ocean's 13

9 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Don't forget AvP Requiem, Ghost Rider, Hitman, The Last Legion, 88 Minutes, Sleuth...

But we had also terrific movies too this year: No Country for Old Man, American Gangster, Gone Baby Gone, Charlie Wilson's War, Ocean's 13

Yeah, we had some great movies as well. But I disagree about Oceans 13, in my opinion the only good Oceans movie was the first.

Did you not follow the flow of conversation?  The sentence that mentioned that film was listing bad movies, not good movies

I agree the first one is the only one absolutely brilliant, the two others are just for me guilty pleasure.
But compared to what was released this year Ocean's 13 is surely a good movie

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Ghost Rider? Are you guys serious?

I think there is only Catwoman which is worse than this in the super hero movie style

3 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Ghost Rider was a fun guilty pleasure sort of movie. 

I haven't seen it

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I prefer the second GR movie, which is "so bad is actually kinda good".

I've never watch the sequel but the people I know and who watched it actually say the exact same thing. Perhaps one day if I have an hour and half to kill

20 hours ago, Falco said:

The Eels of Ceti Alpha V was the only time family shut off film music I was listening to in the car.

"Surprise On Ceti Alpha V" is the only track in the expansion I programmed out of the chrono order to the end as an "extra" in my playlist.  

I also prefer Horner's score to III, which in complete form is fantastic.

E.T. is great and deserve all the praise, I love the government/"keys" menacing theme and that final track is perfection, but for some reason it is not among the scores I listen most from Williams. My votes were for Conan, Poltergeist and Blade Runner. 

Good to see we're back to 1982 again with that last post.

I have to admit, I never saw what other people saw in POLTERGEIST. I mean, I like the movie (loads of nostalgia), and the score is fine. "Carol Ann's Theme" is a lovely lullaby. But the rest of the score always seemed a bit perfunctory and dull to me. Probably heresy to say, I know, but there you go.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Spider-Man 3, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Shrek the Third, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Rise of the Silver Surfer, The Simpsons Movie, the fourth Die Hard (the one in which Bruce Willis throws a cab into an helicopter), 300, the aforementioned Beowulf, The Golden Compass, I Am Legend...

Yeah, it was a shitty year.

No Country For Old Men

There Will Be Blood

3:10 To Yuma

I’m Not There

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

Seraphim Falls

Zodiac

Grindhouse

Ratatouille

The Bourne Ultimatum

Superbad

Shoot ‘Em Up

The Darjeeling Limited

33 minutes ago, Thor said:

I have to admit, I never saw what other people saw in POLTERGEIST. I mean, I like the movie (loads of nostalgia), and the score is fine. "Carol Ann's Theme" is a lovely lullaby. But the rest of the score always seemed a bit perfunctory and dull to me. Probably heresy to say, I know, but there you go.

The lullaby, nice as it is, is probably the most (and only) "perfunctory" bit of the score. Stuff like Twisted Abduction is prime Goldsmith, and the way it supports the film (when it's not cut to pieces or simply dialled - or even in those parts, if you have the music memorised) is up there with any of the very best scores (and better than most of them).

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yea, the Carol Anne theme parts were never my favorite parts of the score

That's why I eventually grew tired of the score and sold it.

That and the full release of ALIEN 😁

E.T. and BLADE RUNNER are in my TopTwenty of all-time.

I really like CONAN and STII and TRON.

Great year!

Recently purchased THING which grew on me over the years

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The lullaby, nice as it is, is probably the most (and only) "perfunctory" bit of the score. Stuff like Twisted Abduction is prime Goldsmith, and the way it supports the film (when it's not cut to pieces or simply dialled - or even in those parts, if you have the music memorised) is up there with any of the very best scores (and better than most of them).

Indeed, and like Jay said, the lullaby is easily among the least interesting things the score has to offer, effective as it is. I'm particularly fond of Night Visitor and Rebirth

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

No Country For Old Men

There Will Be Blood

3:10 To Yuma

I’m Not There

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

Seraphim Falls

Zodiac

Grindhouse

Ratatouille

The Bourne Ultimatum

Superbad

Shoot ‘Em Up

The Darjeeling Limited

There Will Be Blood, 3.10 to Yuma and The Assassination of Jesse James are real standouts. I need to explore Zodiac more

2 hours ago, Romão said:

Indeed, and like Jay said, the lullaby is easily among the least interesting things the score has to offer, effective as it is. I'm particularly fond of Night Visitor and Rebirth

There Will Be Blood, 3.10 to Yuma and The Assassination of Jesse James are real standouts. I need to explore Zodiac more

The lullaby is ok, but the intense moments are also what I love more in Poltergeist: Twisted Abduction, Night Visitor, Rebirth, Night Of The Beast and (the best of all for me) Escape From Suburbia - These tracks are incredibly intense but never fall into the “pure noise” category we so often have in horror scores nowadays, they always maintain a thematic base (with great themes like the “beast” theme, the “light theme” and use of dies irae in the later).

Yeah I'd say no genre has suffered a greater fall in terms of film scores than horror.  When Wallfisch's very "just ok" IT scores get held up as the best the genre has to offer now....  horror scores used to be fun!

19 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

There’s one ambient cue outside of the end credits. 

Joel Coen told a pretty funny story on Roger Deakins' podcast about asking Carter Burwell to write an end credits piece for No Country, Burwell's immediate response being "...in the context of what?!" :lol:

He ended up using the ticking clock playing over the final scene as a rhythmic starting point.

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah I'd say no genre has suffered a greater fall in terms of film scores than horror.  When Wallfisch's very "just ok" IT scores get held up as the best the genre has to offer now....  horror scores used to be fun!

Quite the contrary, I find the horror genre to offer more interesting things now than in a long time. But you'll have to look outside the mainstream, or traditional orchestral stuff. There are lot of great synthwave horror scores these days, for example.