What is the one work that you just can’t listen to by a composer you really like?

toothless

I’ll start. James Newton HowardI like a lot of his works but I can’t listen to any of the Hunger Games Score. They bore me to death. Funnily enough, I cannot say why though :) 

The thread title is confusingly worded and it took me a bit to understand what you were asking

Maybe go with: What is the one work that you just can’t listen to by a composer you really like?

Instead of: What is the one work by a composer you really like that you just can’t listen to?

That would be less ambiguous

I guess I could say Rogue One by Giacchino.  I love most of his scores but just can't get into that one.  Not sure why.

Even then, I wouldn't say I "can't listen to" it.  I just... choose not to listen to it.

Do other people force themselves to listen to things they don't like?

Gia - Rogue One (although I like a few parts here and there)

JNH - his generic Bourne-like action scores for thrillers (Salt, The Bourne Legacy, The Tourist, etc).

Maurice Jarre - his electronic scores from the 80s

Goldsmith - Warlock

Horner - the corny songs based on his themes (My Heart Will Go On included)

Zimmer - Man of Steel, The Amazing Spider-Man 2

37 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

JNH - his generic Bourne-like action scores for thrillers (Salt, The Bourne Legacy, The Tourist, etc).

This.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Sappy Goldsmith

POWDER/RUDY

Yeah, I kinda agree with that too. Goldsmith wrote some powerful themes in his time but I find Rudy just a bit sugary. It doesn't help that it was so often imitated afterwards for other sports dramas.  

The Goldsmith I've always had the most trouble with is Extreme Prejudice. Plenty of other people whose opinions I respect seem to really like it, so I'll keep trying and one day maybe it'll grow on me. I just find it a really unpleasant listen.

Yavar

Steve Jablonsky - all of his recent sound design gobbledygook 

Jeremy Soule - Warhammer

Hans Zimmer- Man of Steel / BvS (same thing really)

Danny Elfman - Alice in Wonderland (can't remember a thing from it.)

I tried, but I don't enjoy listening to Williams trumpet concerto at all. But in general I am not the trumpet guy. But I thought, if John Williams does something like that, I might enjoy it. I don't.

16 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Batman v Superman - Hans Zimmer

Actually, I'm probably gonna change my answer to The Da Vinci Code. Probably the better score between the two, but after the first listen years ago, every subsequent attempt has seriously left me completely lacking in investment. BvS has enough things going to where I could enjoy a small portion of it.

I agree with Bruce. Parameters are necessary, so I'm going to keep it to just ONE title that I don't care for, or have issues with, by some of my favourite composers, even though there are obviously several for each of them. And the topic starter himself broke his own rule by mentioning the HUNGER GAMES scores (in plural) -- unless you consider it one whole work, I guess that's possible too.

John Williams - THE BOOK THIEF

Danny Elfman - AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

Elliot Goldenthal - Quintet No. 2

Hans Zimmer - DROP ZONE

A.R. Rahman - SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Alan Silvestri - THE WITCHES

James Horner - THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

James Newton Howard - THE BOURNE LEGACY

Angelo Badalamenti - THE NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 3

Basil Poledouris - ROBOCOP

Ennio Morricone - WOLF

Georges Delerue - WOMEN IN LOVE

Jerry Goldsmith - THE SECRET OF NIMH

Thomas Newman - THE LITTLE THINGS

...and on and on and on.

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

OP arguably broke the "rules" (as if there's actually any) by listing a whole series, so take your smart ass remarks elsewhere

I'm just following our leader , Jay.

He insists we follow board rules.

I insist we follow op rules.

😎

But you kinda sneakily broke the rules with the Barry selection there yourself, Bruce?

Interesting to hear you pick ALIEN 3. That is not only my favourite Goldenthal score, favourite ALIEN score (on album), but also my 7th favourite score of all time in general. Fascinating how different we experience these things.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

The thread title is confusingly worded and it took me a bit to understand what you were asking

Maybe go with: What is the one work that you just can’t listen to by a composer you really like?

Instead of: What is the one work by a composer you really like that you just can’t listen to?

:lol: The closer I get to night time, the worse my english becomes.

I'll update accordingly! 

24 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Rules? It's a computer page.

"....take your smart ass remarks elsewhere"

3 minutes ago, toothless said:

:lol: The closer I get to night time, the worse my english becomes.

I'll update accordingly! 

That's why Jay is indispensable!😁

FFS can't we just discuss music around here? :lol: 

You like a composer, there is a work you can't listen to, you list it. 

Listing between 1 to 3 works is fine! 

But of course if you can't listen to 90% of a composer's output then maybe you don't actually like that composer :lol:

Here is my extended list:

JNH: The Hunger Games

Desplat: Suburbicon

Zimmer: Dunkirk

Elfman: Justice League

Giacchino: Incredibles

Williams: Munich

Powell: Knight and Day

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Fallout.

What is the one work that you just can’t listen to by a composer you really like?

Do you really like Balfe?

The Lost World by Michael Giacchino. Don't know why but I never succeed to finished it even though I pretty like his more recent work on Jurassic World.

It's fine (much better than the dreadful INFERNO), but obviously can't stand up to the brilliant THE DA VINCI CODE, one of the top 10 Zimmers, IMO.