What is the one work that you just can’t listen to by a composer you really like?

toothless

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Excuse me?

Yes, it was a toss-up between JOHN GOLDFARB PLEASE COME HOME and THE BOOK THIEF, but I landed on the latter because it also exemplifies my general lack of enthusiasm for Williams' scores in the last 15 years.

I agree, The Book Thief is nothing extraordinary, but I use it a lot as background music. I'm expecting a lot more from Spielberg's upcoming movie about his childhood.

Many of JNH's action/thriller scores - Salt, Bourne Legacy, and the last two Hunger Games scores.

Slight pattern there - I didn't like any of those movies. (well, Mockingjay pt 1 was fun, but not 2)

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's pretty well known, on this site, that I have very little love for SCHINDLER'S LIST. I'm not fond of FAR AND AWAY, either.

Oh yeah, this too. I've aways said that I respect Schindler's List if you see it as a serious concert work, but you're not going to find me listening to it.

Far and Away has a few good parts.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Far and Away has a few good parts.

I was this close to lambasting you for that comment but, on reflection, I guess it really does only have a couple of [outstanding] highlights. The Land Race cue is essential for any budding Williams enthusiast; in fact, it's the only cue I return to nowadays.

On 4/14/2021 at 6:41 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I have very little love for SCHINDLER'S LIST. I'm not fond of FAR AND AWAY, either.

Not only antisemitism but also Hibernophobia? My, oh, my, Richard!

Hibernophobia I can live with, but "antisemitism" my arse! I could say something about a certain Jew who lived 2000 years ago, whom I hold in very high regard, but that would break several "No Religion" rules.

I just don't like the score, is all. There are many "Jewish" scores that I love, QB VII, and MASADA to name but two, but SCHINDLER'S LIST has never moved me.

Like the film, it's a score that I'm expected to like, but I refuse to be hit over the head with "greatness", or "importance", no matter the director, composer, or subject matter.

Of course, the theme has been performed so many times, it's become an evergreen -- hence losing some of its initial emotional impact (even if it's brilliant). I find myself more moved by other secondary themes, like "Remembrances" and "Jewish Town". But I hardly ever play SCHINDLER'S LIST; I have to be in a certain kind of mood.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

But I hardly ever play SCHINDLER'S LIST; I have to be in a certain kind of mood.

Me neither even though I'm really impressed with what Williams came up with. Hearing a street musician play it makes you understand how strong it really is. 

Trying to think of composers I'd listen to all of their works but one.

1. Williams - listen to everything

2. Borodin - listen to everything

3. Uematsu - listen to everything. won't include some older synthesized, as every live remake has been passable with some quality ie.

4. [Insert more composers... will go on forever, Prokofiev, Sugiyama, Glazunov, etc.]

5. Grieg? - aha. everything except Hall of the Mountain King. so overplayed and overrated it drives me nuts now :banghead: