Fast & Furious Cinematic Universe

I saw all the movies in sequence a couple of years ago, because one of my colleagues is a big fan. Not really my cup of tea (never been a car person), but I did enjoy the emerging mythology over the course of the series. I'm in no particular hurry to watch the new one, but I'll probably get around to it at some point.

There are bits and pieces of the scores throughout that are nice.

6 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Anyone else like the David Arnold score to the second one?

Yes pretty good. Also like the first one by BT and whichever Lucas Vidal did. The Tylers, I could give or take.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

whichever Lucas Vidal did.

It was the sixth movie. If I recall correctly, Vidal was one of the youngest composers ever to score a blockbuster like this one. And his score is pretty decent! It would've been great if they kept him, instead of Tyler.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

If anybody wants spoilers about old characters who do or not return in this movie, open the block

Spoiler

Gal Gadot as Gisele returns, with no explanation of how her death was faked

The Rock as Luke Hobbs returns in the middle of the end credits; Presumably since Black Adam bombed he was willing to return to the franchise after all lol

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Seeing it sunday. I'm very excited.

I love these films. All the over the top stuff and all

Me, too. And I'll definitely get Brian Tyler's score when it comes out, as well.

2 hours ago, HyenaBoy said:

Me, too. And I'll definitely get Brian Tyler's score when it comes out, as well.

He answered a comment on instagram. It'll be out of June 2nd

F&F is one of those series I could never understand its appeal or why they make so much money. The other is Transformers.

I just don't understand how people can like these movies so much. 

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

F&F is one of those series I could never understand its appeal or why they make so much money. The other is Transformers.

I just don't understand how people can like these movies so much. 

I used to feel the same way. Still do about Transformers for sure. But F&F... there's something nearly heroic about how seriously they take the "family is everything" theme that makes it work.

I just got back from Fast X, actually, and am pleased to report I had a hell of a good time. Lots of people are praising Jason Momoa's interpretation of his villain character and, yes, it's every bit warranted. Indeed, the movie would have been a lot more forgettable if the Dante character had been more straitlaced. I don't mean the movie would have been boring -- the setpieces are pretty incredible and a lot of fun to watch -- but it would have been forgettable in the sense that we've all seen an uncountable number of movies with amazing setpieces, so that alone isn't enough to stick in the brain. Rather, you want memorable characters, and Momoa's Dante is exactly that. And John Cena. His buddy-road-trip dialogue cracked me up the whole movie.

(That said, there is a stunning dual donut-spinning moment involving Dom and Dante on a causeway in the third act that I can't get out of my head and I wish they edited it less frenetically so we could enjoy it longer. If that was done practically with stunt cars and drivers, well, goddamn.)

It was also satisfying to see, from a movie so bloated with returning (from the dead) characters and A-listers and Oscar winners, everyone given at least something modestly meaningful to do. (Well, maybe except Rita Moreno and Helen Mirren, but even with them their  single scenes are played with seriousness and we can easily expect to see more of them in Fast XI.) And I like how they set up the sequel, almost in a Hunger Games kind of way where Fast XI will pick up literally from the moment they leave off on. (And then there's the two cameos at the end. Both were fun, although I enjoyed the second one more. Both are now likely spoiled for anyone who's read anything about the movie online in the last 12 hours, unfortunately, but if you managed to avoid the spoilers until now, stay offline and go see the movie and stay through the mid-credits scene. It's awesome.)

Just saw. I don't care what anyone says, I loved it!!! Best one since 7. And of the best in the series.

It ends on a few really incredible cliffhangers and the movie had high stakes.

The action is terrific as always. Cast is incredible, and Jason Momoa really is a standout. He's like the Joker of this series. Great stuff.

Tyler's score was really good. He uses his themes from the previous films really well, nd there is really cool statement of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. 

I've only watched two or three of this movies in full, but I'm planning on watching some more of them, as I think they're quite enjoyable dumb fun. Are there any of them that I could skip? I've read that the first ones don't have a lot of relation to the rest of the saga, so I don't know.

As for Tyler's score, I remember a cool main theme appearing here and there, and I think also a theme for Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez, but I don't remember much more. Are the scores worth listening on their own?

I’ve heard you could/should start at 5 or 6 and go on from there.  I’m too set in my ways to do something like that - although it resulted in me stopping my series watch after the thoroughly mediocre first movie, so maybe they have a point.

I think my problem with this series is that, after 6, the plots became too absurd. I just have a hard time buying that the US government would allow a bunch of former thieves and street racers to go in those super spy missions all over the world. I wish those movies were focused more on cars and street racing rather than those epic world-ending conspiracies. 

That said, I genuinely like movies 4 to 6, with the latter being my favorite in the franchise (despite arguably initiating the problems I have with the later movies). And 7 has a great farewell to Paul Walker. 

I guess these movies make so much money because, in a way, they're the 21st century version of those old exploitation movies. 

Yeah, I thought the first one was very ordinary too and was left with no desire to see any more. They now look like they would be a similar experience to the one I had with the second Transformers movie (which I went to after the first one was better than I expected, but the second one felt like being slapped around the head (whilst also being screamed at) by angry appliances/cars for 150 minutes), which left me vowing to never see another one of THOSE (and I haven't).  

Second Transformers is among the worst movies I’ve ever seen, just aggressively bad.

I did end up getting dragged to the third one, which was actually much better than 2, and probably better than the first as well - but it’s not a franchise I’ve kept up with otherwise, beyond the Bumblebee spin-off which was pretty good.

2 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

I've only watched two or three of this movies in full, but I'm planning on watching some more of them, as I think they're quite enjoyable dumb fun. Are there any of them that I could skip? I've read that the first ones don't have a lot of relation to the rest of the saga, so I don't know.

You could just watch 5-10 and only circle back to 1-4 if you really want to

Hobbes and Shaw can be watched any time after 8 and before 10 if you feel like it too

I do feel 4 is the film to start with.

I'm not a fan myself of 1-3, but from 4 on they're great. 5 and 7 are my favorites. 10 is more like those. And it ties into 5.

6 is good, as is 8. 9 is also good, but the end was too over the top.

I would watch from 4 on. And just don't take it too seriously. It's utterly ridiculous, but me and my family love these films and always have a great time. The stunts and action scenes are amazing, even when they're a bit much.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

You could just watch 5-10 and only circle back to 1-4 if you really want to

I'd say 4 is a better starting point than 5. F4 can give context about who the characters are and why they're breaking Dom out of prison in the fifth's prologue. That said, 5 is considered a good movie while 4, well, is not (I like it), so if one starts with the fourth and doesn't like it, he/she may not feel compelled to keep going (despite the positive receptions to 5-7).

29 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Second Transformers is among the worst movies I’ve ever seen, just aggressively bad.

I did end up getting dragged to the third one, which was actually much better than 2, and probably better than the first as well - but it’s not a franchise I’ve kept up with otherwise, beyond the Bumblebee spin-off which was pretty good.

Transformers 2 is atrocious, and I'm not a fan of 1 either. 3 is okay, it was fun seeing in the movie theater and it has some great VFX (the best of the franchise), but it's still far from a good movie.

Avoid 4 and 5 at all costs.

I've seen Fast Five, and possibly 6 as well; not sure.

Tyler's score for 5 has some good bits, partly action (essentially the vault heist) and partly the character stuff reflecting the Brazilian setting.

As far as I'm concerned with the movies, they're dumb fun with preposterous but spectacular and exciting action, and critics should treat them as such.

They are made by and for the kids inside you that played with Match Box and Hot Wheels and your imagination was the only limit 

Yeah, I remember parts of 5, 6 and 7 and I remember them being quite entertaining, so I guess I will go with 4 and see if it picks my interest for the rest of the saga.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Even though Fast X - Part 1 flopped, Part 2 is still coming out on April 4th, 2025. It'll be the tenth birthday of Furious 7, which remains by far the highest grossing movie in the franchise.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtQAuTuJxDK/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=8ca4c4fc-27f6-4290-a348-50cbef61499d

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

$677 Million worldwide is a flop?

It was way too expensive, with a budget of $340 millions according to The Numbers, which is not only the highest for a F&F movie but also one of the most expensive movies of all time.

And yet it performed horribly in the United States. Worldwide, it'll most likely earn less than F6, F9 (which came out during the pandemic) and even Hobbs & Shaw. Even in China it'll earn less than F9 and H&S. 

So yeah, at the very least it wasn't the hit Universal needed it to be.

There wasn't any chance in the world that Fast 11 would have been canceled, no matter how well or poor Fast 10 performed.

If Fast 10 REALLY bombed, they would have said Fast 11 will be the final one, and decreased its budget.  But last I heard, they are going to end with Fast 12 now.

Apparently Fast X will have to hit 800 - 850 million in order to turn a profit. Not sure how often a movie does an additional 100 - 150 mill or so of box office after already being on release for a month, but I'd imagine it's not very.  

• 6 months later...