8 scores this century won every single music award. Which one is your favorite?

TheUlyssesian

8 scores this century won every single music award. Which one is your favorite?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. 8 scores this century won every single music award. Which one is your favorite?

• Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - A. R. Rahman
    • Up (2009) - Michael Giacchino
    • The Artist (2011) - Ludovic Bource
    • The Hateful Eight (2015) - Ennio Morricone
    • La La Land (2016) - Justin Hurwitz
    • The Shape of Water (2017) - Alexandre Desplat
    • Joker (2019) - Hildur Guðnadóttir
    • Soul (2020) - Jon Batiste, Trent Reznor, and Atticus Ross

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

While we're here. What is so special about Slumdog Millionare?

I like the movie, but I can't remember anything about the score. In my opinion, Defiance or Benjamin Button should've won the Best Original Score award that year. 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I like the movie, but I can't remember anything about the score. In my opinion, Defiance or Benjamin Button should've won the Best Original Score award that year. 

Button is good but kinda dull - like a lot of Desplat.

I actually think Wall-E would be a great pic and worked very well in the film.

23 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Button is good but kinda dull - like a lot of Desplat.

I actually think Wall-E would be a great pic and worked very well in the film.

Yeah, Wall-E also could've won that year if the Academy didn't fall in love for Slumdog Millionaire. It's not my favorite Newman, but it worked great in that movie. 

The only score cue worth a damn in Slumdog in Latika's theme and then even this is a concert suite - I don't recall if and how it was used in the film. 

This is the most conventionally melodic music on the album. The rest is all extremely chaotic.

This though is extremely lovely.

Of these scores I've only heard Up and The Hateful Eight and pitting those two scores against each other hardly seems fair.

10 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

La La Land is indeed very lame. I think of it as a very millennial movie - safe, bloodless, tame with none of the real ache of real "real life" in it. It is an infantilized movie - like say Marriage Story. 

It is kinda remarkable how much more older films are made for adults than the mild diversions made today.

I am a millennial who hates today's trends of safe, bloodless, tame movies and prefer movies like Terminator 2, Aliens, Saving Private Ryan, etc.

And yet, I love La La Land. Not sure why you think that movie is not "adult." Great story about ambition that I can relate to. I am not sure why you compared it Marriage Story. 

11 hours ago, Mephariel said:

I am a millennial who hates today's trends of safe, bloodless, tame movies and prefer movies like Terminator 2, Aliens, Saving Private Ryan, etc.

And yet, I love La La Land. Not sure why you think that movie is not "adult.' Great story about ambition that I can relate to. I am not sure why you compared it Marriage Story. 

Just because it is another tame movie about millennials.

We have seen better deeper harder hitting versions of these movies before - The Umbrellas of Cherbourg in the case of La La Land and Kramer v Kramer in the case of Marriage Story. The older films are infinitely more adult than these 2 modern millennial films.

The devastating hard-knock adult sobriety of the ending of Cherbourg when the lovers meet again is in another universe from the simpering teenage level last meeting in La La Land - something you would see in High School Musical. There are no day dreams in real life. The entire romance in La La Land is so unconvincing. Did they ever even fuck? One wonders.

I compared to Marriage Story because it is another acclaimed awards movie that is safer, with edges sawed down and made for infantilized millennials. The divorce seems nothing more than mild disagreement. Where is the brutality of a true marital breakdown?

8 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Just because it is another tame movie about millennials.

We have seen better deeper harder hitting versions of these movies before - The Umbrellas of Cherbourg in the case of La La Land and Kramer v Kramer in the case of Marriage Story. The older films are infinitely more adult than these 2 modern millennial films.

The devastating hard-knock adult sobriety of the ending of Cherbourg when the lovers meet again is in another universe from the simpering teenage level last meeting in La La Land - something you would see in High School Musical. There are no day dreams in real life. The entire romance in La La Land is so unconvincing. Did they ever even fuck? One wonders.

I compared to Marriage Story because it is another acclaimed awards movie that is safer, with edges sawed down and made for infantilized millennials. The divorce seems nothing more than mild disagreement. Where is the brutality of a true marital breakdown?

Seems like you have different expectations coming into those movies. I think La La Land is meant to end on bittersweet note, not devastation. And I agree that marriage story is rather soft. But I am not sure if showing the brutality of a true martial breakdown was what they had in mind.  

On 4/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, Jay said:

I don't quite remember what Slumdog's score was like, the music I remember from the movie was source songs like Paper Planes and Jai Ho.  I wouldn't mind watching the film again sometime, it's been 13 (!) years

It's a fun Bolly-pop cocktail with some killer original songs. Did it deserve a clean sweep? Nah. But it's a good album.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:29 AM, Disco Stu said:

Certainly better than Moonlight, an utter mediocrity.

Film? Why do you feel that way?

The Moonlight score on the other hand, is overrated nothingness. Britell has gone on to prove me wrong with some wonderful scores afterwards though.

10 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

This poll has helped me to better understand the three demographics of film score listeners that make up JW Fan, and for that I am truly thankful. Observe: 

Grateful to be included. :lol:. Although, I'm sure I have some film score opinions that the "majority" would disagree with. Lol. 

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It’s crazy how polarizing La La Land is.  I for one think it’s fantastic.  Certainly better than Moonlight, an utter mediocrity.

Absolutely.  It's got a nice message but that's about it

8 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The only score cue worth a damn in Slumdog in Latika's theme.

Nonsense!

22 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Interesting. I used to have a similar opinion of the score, but now I've come to love also the lighter parts. I'm planning to purchase the piano folio!

@Smeltington, The Artist only has three votes. You know what to do.

I did it! I also thought about voting for Soul though. And Hateful Eight was a good score (for a movie I H8ted).

20 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@Smeltington, can you confirm this?

It seems to have some attempted hipster flourishes, like the scene where Emma Stone flaunts her 80s knowledge by having a favorite cheesy 80s song. Low art as high art blah blah blah. I don't know if real life hipsters give a shit or not though. And the movie is yet another case of Hollywood jerking its own donkey stick (even the Artist took this path to victory), trying to reaffirm its own artistic merits despite its middle-of-the-road mainstream stranglehold on pop culture, so it doesn't have a ton of credibility/authenticity IMO, including the idea of gorgeous movie stars who don't really pass for scrappy, struggling artists.

But despite the lack of hipster cred, the movie was still pretty good, haha.

21 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A generous offer, but I'll have to pass this time.

Don't worry, there'll be a next time!

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

I don't know if real life hipsters give a shit or not though.

Wait - aren't you a real hipster?

Edit: I forgot a hipster never admits to being a hipster.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

And the movie is yet another case of Hollywood jerking its own donkey stick (even the Artist took this path to victory)

The Artist isn't Hollywood, though.

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I still question the extent that being a hipster is still a thing. It feels like they've been subsumed into our culture now.

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well then someone else jerked Hollywood's donkey stick, and was handsomely rewarded.

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't find any of La La Land's two leads to fall within this category.

Who's the hipster now??

What is " hipster"?

😗😳

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Edit: I forgot a hipster never admits to being a hipster.

Nobody on this site watched ARTIST because it was in the 1:33 aspect ratio.

Up and it’s not even close.

I wouldn’t even be caught dead with the others in my collection. Well maybe Desplat.

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Nobody on this site watched ARTIST because it was in the 1:33 aspect ratio.

JWfanners are fawwww too weak. They're afraid of people thinking they're on welfare because they're watching a 4:3 movie.