Benjamin Wallfisch's THE FLASH (2023)

Matt C

The film began production in London yesterday, and the studio confirmed that Wallfisch will reunite with director Andy Muschietti (IT, IT: Chapter 2) to compose the score.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/the-flash-movie-enlists-composer-benjamin-wallfisch

• 1 year later...

Someone posted on Reddit a video from the recording sessions:

It sounds a little generic, but I won't judge the score yet based on a 13-second video.

Also, it is interesting that even now, post-Covid, they're still recording the orchestra separately (first strings, then brass, etc.)

35 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It sounds a little generic, but I won't judge the score yet based on a 13-second video.

Also, it is interesting that even now, post-Covid, they're still recording the orchestra separately (first strings, then brass, etc.)

Isn't that pretty common? I thought a lot of composers record in sections so they can adjust the music during edit easier?

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It sounds like some intro music for one of the production company's logo

found the source of this vid, this is actually Benjamin Wallfisch conducting the string section to perform a Happy Birthday to the director, the actual Happy Birthday part is after this intro

I believe the video was first posted by the director's sister, Barbara (who is also the producer of Flash)

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

COVID cases and deaths around here are higher than they were last year at this time!

But chances are, they are striping the orchestra for mixing purposes.  They’ll probably make it sound much less like an orchestra in post.

• 4 months later...

I wonder if he'll quote Elfman's Batman theme for the scenes with Keaton?

These DC films have been such a woefully missed opportunity, musically (and almost every other filmmaking aspect).

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

I wonder if he'll quote Elfman's Batman theme for the scenes with Keaton?

These DC films have been such a woefully missed opportunity, musically (and almost every other filmmaking aspect).

I expect he will (we know it was going to appear in Holt’s Batgirl score). If the rumors about the film are true, we might be hearing more themes that just that though!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, Romão said:

Since they're going all out for nostalgia bait, I can only assume they will use Elfman's Batman theme

No need to assume, it's been revealed in recording sessions clips IIRC.

49 minutes ago, Romão said:

Since they're going all out for nostalgia bait, I can only assume they will use Elfman's Batman theme

On 15/03/2023 at 3:37 PM, Mr. Who said:

I think I prefer this statement of the Batman theme to all the versions in Justice League lol.

Oh, that's something to look forward to, then. Although in that clip the "epicness" of the music and the Keaton's sarcasm don't really mesh

World’s Collide was… not much of anything. 

Run was slightly better I guess. 

If the point of releasing the singles is to get hyped for the movie/full score, not sure why they’d pick such generic set piece tracks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Really great movie. The score is good but more heavier on color rather than melodies. Outside of Keaton’s theme which is used very well there isn’t really anything memorable theme wise. The two track already released are cover the 2 biggest scenes in the film. 

Spoiler

Zimmer’s WW theme is in it

17 minutes ago, DangerMotif said:

Really great movie. The score is good but more heavier on color rather than melodies. Outside of Keaton’s theme which is used very well there isn’t really anything memorable theme wise. The two track already released are cover the 2 biggest scenes in the film. 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Does Batfleck have anything for him, or do they simplify it by using the Elfman theme for both Batmen?

16 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Hide contents

Does Batfleck have anything for him, or do they simplify it by using the Elfman theme for both Batmen?

There really isn’t a theme for him or supergirl, just drums. The usage of themes in this film is odd. The score works but they even use Elfman’s theme in the strings in scenes that don’t relate to his batman at all

The score in this shot in particular was awesome. This album can be really fun if they include the Elfman theme.IMG_3858.webp

Wallfisch has all the ability in the world to make this as great as can be. I worry about the WB influence. Now that Gunn is in charge, I expect that they will allow for more creativity in the score department. But it does sound like a lot of this was done well in advance of the Gunn takeover......I just hope they do not process the shit out of the orchestra.

The 'theme' in the clip is not great. Pedantic. I hope Wallfisch can do better - he composed the score for my ringtone with this magnificent track 0:59-1:20, amazing work:

I’ve watched the movie yesterday in an advance screening here in Toronto, and Elfmans Batman theme gets a lot of play time (it kind of becomes the movies main theme once he enters the picture). A lot of direct quotes from the 89 score but also some cue arrangements. The movie is fine but nothing special unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Well, this sounds fantastic. Also, I think this is one of the best mixes I’ve heard in a soundtrack lately!

Wait till you listen to the other single released. That one is mixed bad

"I am Batman" is okay, a decently re-orchestrated version of Elfman's Bat-material. But "Sounds About Right Bruce" is really bad, sounds like Wallfisch was forced to stay as close to the Fury Road temp track as possible. It got the same uninspired string writing and the insufferable drums from hell from that score.

That actually sounds amazing - very very glad that the mix is right and the orchestra comes through and it does not sound like 'junkie xl brass' or whatever ridiculous thing he was trying to copyright.

Not sure I do get the Fury Road comparisons from Edmilson - isn't that just Mars the Bringer of War by Holst?

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

"I am Batman" is okay, a decently re-orchestrated version of Elfman's Bat-material. But "Sounds About Right Bruce" is really bad, sounds like Wallfisch was forced to stay as close to the Fury Road temp track as possible. It got the same uninspired string insufferable and drums from hell from that score.

I suppose the idea was to emulate the sound of different Batman worlds.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting soundtrack album credits:

Guess I'll spoiler block it just in case.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Some interesting soundtrack album credits:

Guess I'll spoiler block it just in case.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I read somewhere that Nicolas Cage had a cameo in the film playing the superman from Tim Burton's failed attempt Superman Lives