The "pick just ONE upcoming Williams score" poll

filmmusic

The "pick just ONE upcoming Williams score" poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. If Williams were to score only ONE upcoming film, what would you like it to be?

• Indiana Jones V
    • Untitled Steven Spielberg project loosely based on his life

I choose Little Spielberg. As great as Indy music is, but JW already done a lot of action/fantasy scores recently. The movie about Spielberg's childhood has the potential of inspiring a different kind of score that he hasn't done much lately.

Yeah the closest analog from the last decade is probably The Book Thief, but, at the risk of getting an avalanche of confused emoji reactions from all the Thief-stans, hopefully more inspired than that score due to the personal connection to the material.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh, I'm kinda surprised Indy is winning the poll.  At least it's close

If it wins, I'm not gonna be surprised.

I think history has shown that jwfan prefer Williams's blockbusters scores than smaller intimate scores.

Oh sure, for existing scores no doubt; I guess I was hopeful for a future score there'd be more interest in things he's done less often than things he's utterly mastered, but I guess not!

Yeah, basically the Spielberg/Williams collaboration is way more important to me than franchise musical continuity.

But also, that's just buying into the conceit of the thread where I have to choose.  Like Jay and presumably most everyone else, I'd prefer that he do both if he can!

Thanos Perfectly Balanced GIF - Thanos PerfectlyBalanced MiniDagger -  Discover & Share GIFs

1 hour ago, Falstaft said:

Pretty much! :)

Also because, given the timeframe of Indy 5, I have hope for a Scherzo for Ford Pinto and Orchestra.

While on the subject of your catalog, is there a particular reason you didn't include the B section in your transcription of Short Round's theme?

I personnaly voted for Indiana Jones V just because at least I'm sure one thing will be really good. Now I would of course love Williams to score the Spielberg's movie, feel like it would be sad if the Post was their last collaboration (not that the score is bad far from that but it surely doesn't have the panash of their previous collaborations).

No matter what he choose to score I'll be glad anyway because it will be the project he feel the more connected with

I don't yet see the musical potential of the Young Spielberg movie for anything beyond another Book Thief-like score (not my favorite). So I vote IJ5. 

I would treat Williams to have just another relaxed score done with Spielberg. I would be totaly fine with that and film wise I am absolutely not interested in Indy V.

But something like the score for young Steven is something that can be well done by someone like Thomas Newman. But noone is able to write an appropriate Indy score. And nobody so far has proven to be able to write action scores like Williams apart from Williams himself. So, he has to do Indy.

Sorry.

10 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Intuitively, you always know what I wanted to say, but forgot to add to my sentences. 

I know what you mean. I also often write too concise, thinking people will make the connections that are clear to me as the writer.

I don't think my OCD can cope with only 4 of the 5 Indiana Jones films being scored by Williams. It almost seems worse than the Harry Potter outcome because it's so close to being a perfect handful of JW scores (and I'd love to hear him close the book on a musical legacy started four decades prior with a competent film, instead of the miserable mess he ended his Star Wars journey with).

But as echoed above, all going well, he should be able to do both films across the next 18 months. I couldn't want for anything else from the Maestro if we were blessed with that outcome (hell, anything after a third Star Wars trilogy is a gift). 

I wonder if this untilted Spielberg score could unite all of Williams' achievements and skills into an epic new work. Like a Symphony no. 9 to give his career the next layer of context. It could be the biggest reveal! Something he's been meaning to communicate to us!

I definitely think if Williams' partnership with Spielberg is missing anything so far, it's a definitive fullstop that pays loving tribute to their entire collaboration and embraces the nostalgia.

There's not many times a composer gets the opportunity to do something self-indulgent and reflective but this project might be the perfect chance for just that.