Shadow And Bone

JNHFan2000

Thought I'd make a threat to talk abou the new series releasing tomorrow.

I personally can't wait!!

So all things Shadows & Bone! From story to costumes to the score by Joseph Trapanese

10 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Thought I'd make a threat to talk abou the new series releasing tomorrow.

Beavis and Butthead - Are you threatening me - Album on Imgur

I personally can't wait!!

So all things Shadows & Bone! From story to costumes to the score by Joseph Trapanese

I don't know what this is, I've never heard of this.  You're gonna have to help us out here

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

But is it better than the later seasons of GOT?

That's not fair. We've all had BMs better than the last two seasons of GOT. 

We finished the first episode of Shadow and Bone but I doubt we will stick with it. 

The storytelling is hampered by the lack of a map. It isn't until the end of the episode you realize who is where and when with respect to "the fold." By then, most people will give up. The intro credits clockwork map was a major strength of GOT. 

I agree with the confused geography and the different nations largely unexplained. Trapanese's score is alright, if a little anonymous in being light on thematic material and instead relying on powerful ostinato-driven pieces.

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

But is it better than the later seasons of GOT?

Of course not. Even if the later seasons of GOT weren't fully up to scratch, it was still engaging because of the entire setup of those first seasons. And the dialog was still better than what I heard in Shadow & Bone. Then there are the completely uninteresting cardboard characters ... GOT it is NOT.

Visually, from the trailers at least, this looks pretty B-movie fantasy anyway. Certainly not screaming GOT to me.

I dunno, a Fantasy kingdom, a giant wall, ...

netflix-shadow-and-bone-review.jpeg

Must it really be made of ice before people see it? ;)

Soon you guys will claim Jupiter's Legacy doesn't want to be The Boys

It's not a wall. It's a magical storm that people want to get through, but can't. 

In GOT, it's a wall that people don't want to get through... 

Until the Wildlings are introduced and define it as a magical wall that they want to get through, but can't. 

Damnit. 

@JNHFan2000, you started this thread full of excitement about the new show - and its score - and then have not really returned to this thread to share your thoughts now that it's out.

So let's hear your thoughts on this show!  Try to sell people here on watching it with you!

And tell us what you think about Trapaneze's score!

I myself loved the show. It is indeed a slow burn but absolutely worth the watch. From epusode 5 on the show goes from kind of slow, to action packed and reveal after reveal.

The cast is great. Especially Ben Barnes. The Visuals are also beautiful. And I get that people are a bit confused about the world and what is exactly about. But it will get much more clear.

As for Trapanese's score. It also takes some time to get used to, but there a a couple of themes that I liked and tge score album on it's own is very enjoyable.

I'm especially fond of the tracks 'Court Demonstration' & 'Her Name Is Alina Starkov'.

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I myself loved the show. It is indeed a sloe burn but absolutely worth the watch. From epusode 5 on the show goes from kind of slow, to action packed and reveal after reveal.

Sorry to hear that. "Slow burn" would have been a big selling point to me. "Action-packed" and "reveal after reveal" are not selling points to me. But it's on my list, so I'll check it out when I get the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw S1 and was really impressed.

There are a couple of things to dislike about the show, but the good definitely outweigh the bad.

I’d recommend this to anyone who’d like a new high quality show to watch.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Over the last couple days I've watched Season 2.

I still think this is quite a strong show. Not everything works 100% and it won't be for everybody, but the show has such a distinct look and feel it doesn't really matter. It did took me 1 or 2 episodes to get back into it after 2 years since the first season. But once I was back in I had a blast.

The visuals, production, costumes and music are all very strong.

The cast is also great. Ben Barnes really has a fun time playing the bad guy I feel, he's very good.

Jessie Mei Li, Archie Renaux, Freddy Carter, Amita Suman, Kit Young & Danielle Calligan + some new cast memebers are all great.

But standouts for me are Daisy Head & Zoë Wanamaker. Wanamaker is great in the role of mentor etc. I was actually really upset when she died. Although she went out great!

Daisy Head's Genya is the most interesting character to me. She gets some great dramatic scenes and Head is a very strong actress. She was also great in the fifth episode of The Sandman and I'm looking forward to seeing her in Dungeons & Dragons.

The season ended in a way that this could be the end of the whole show. But  I would love it if another season gets made though. The final scenes

were quire graphic and made me excited about the next part of the story.

(I didn’t read your post, @JNHFan2000, as to avoid any spoilers.)

I loved S01.

I put it above Amazon’s The Lord Of The Rings or HBO’s The Wheel Of Time.

I’ve only watched the first episode of S02 yet, but so far I can only think - is the magic gone?

Granted, I watched S01 half drunk, while on vacation on an island of off the coast of west Africa, and I’m watching S02 at home on my off hours before going back to work in the morning…

But still, I’d hate to say that I’m misremembering… fingers crossed that S02 finds the magic… or that I find a drink (and, God forbid, a cigar)! ;)

It took me 2 episodes to get into it again. And I do think it got better and better after that.

I especially love the sequences in Shu Han later in the season.