Which theoretical future JW box set do you want the most?

crumbs

Which theoretical future JW box set do you want the most?   

55 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one

• Star Wars Prequel Trilogy
    • Star Wars Original Trilogy
    • Star Wars Sequel Trilogy
    • Indiana Jones Collection (1 to 5)
    • Oliver Stone Box Set
    • The Williams at Universal Collection (Unreleased scores from his early years at Universal, incl. Sugarland Express, Story Of A Woman, The Rare Breed, Screaming Woman, etc.)

Of those, obviously the last option.

To be more specific, I would love a box of his ALCOA PREMIERE stuff - in my opinion, his best TV work.

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

A box of his Kraft Suspense Theater TV work.

That would be nice too, but it's not on ALCOA's level, IMO.

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Screaming Woman would be fantastic if it got a release.  I watched it on Youtube, very fun score.  Sort of proto-Dracula.

I thought he only did the end credits or one cue at the end. Am I mixing it up with something else?

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I thought he only did the end credits or one cue at the end. Am I mixing it up with something else?

Nope, he scored the whole movie.  Now, it's not a super long score by any means, it would make total sense to group in a box set with other music of the era.  EDIT: I'm a wrong person

This cue is super cool:

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Nope, he scored the whole movie.  Now, it's not a super long score by any means, it would make total sense to group in a box set with other music of the era.

Are you sure?  Read this:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24061-williams-filmography-in-bluray-a-list/page/10/&tab=comments#comment-1754800

Interesting...

For The Screaming Woman, which did not begin shooting until mid-December, Universal Television music director Hal Mooney cobbled together cues by Jerry Goldsmith (according to BMI records) and Morton Stevens (according to ASCAP) from the studio library.

Yet the only onscreen music credit (aside from Mooney’s as music supervisor) was “Theme: John Williams” displayed over the end credits and undoubtedly referring to the final 43 seconds of music heard in the film. Exactly when (and for what purpose) Williams wrote this theme remains a mystery.

I really think all these oddment scores/rarities from his Universal days are perfect for a Collection set, rather than standalone releases. Many of the scores are quite short (and it might finally be a way they can convince him to release Sugarland, if it's bundled with a bunch of other stuff).

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've been lied to!

Either way, I thought the music was cool and worked in sort of a campy way.  Thanks for the info!  Now I wanna know who wrote the cue I posted above.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I've been lied to!

Either way, I thought the music was cool and worked in sort of a campy way.  Thanks for the info!  Now I wanna know who wrote the cue I posted above.

There was a musician's strike at the time, so they had to use existing music by Morton Stevens, Jerry Goldsmith and presumably others. The cue you linked to is by one of those. Williams only wrote the closing/end title theme, but nobody knows the source of it yet.

I choose the Oliver Stone box. I know the scores for SW and Indy top to bottom, and while it'd be cool to have definitive versions, I think the "priority" here is the Oliver Stones scores, as these have never been expanded properly out of their (woeful) OST albums.

This is tough. At this particular moment, I'd probably be most excited about a prequel set. But all the SW and Indy scores desperately need definitive expansions/remasters. (I suppose Raiders is the exception; I'm satisfied with the commercially available material for that one.)

Definitely the Original Star Wars Trilogy, remastered C&C + OST by MM

That Universal Collection is a close second just to have all that unreleased stuff.

Then the Indy box, I’m mostly happy with the expanded releases we got despite some of their issues.

Then a C&C Star Wars Prequel box, I  am content with what is available and what’s been leaked.

Then an Oliver Stone box, I’m content with the OSTs.  I like BOT4OJ but not crazy about the other two.

Lastly, a Star Wars Sequel Trilogy box.  I really dislike these movies and am largely indifferent toward the scores.

Any of these would be an instant purchase for me though.

The early scores from Universal.

We already have the most important stuff from the other scores, and though it’d be great to have complete scores for prequel, sequel and Indy, it seems less important than, say, an official release of The Sugarland Express.

I need no expansion of the Oliver Stone scores. I have the OSTs plus the bootleg of BOT4J that contains complete score plus ouverture plus alternate score mix. I feel no need to explore these scores more.

But I am so unsatisfied with the OSTs of TLJ and TROS that I am really going for that box most.

1. SW sequels (It will be revelatory and the amount of new music with Mike's assembly will make me feel like listening to these scores for the first time)

2. SW prequels (probably my favourite from a purely musical perspective)

3. SW OT (Mike's treatment is long overdue)

4. Indiana Jones (even as no. 4 it's still a set that needs to happen)

5. Oliver Stone

6. Universal 

I would buy all of them in a heartbeatand I would be particularly curious about a Oliver Stone box set. The thing is, we probably have hours of totally unheard music from the sequel trilogy. The prequels have a ton of fantastic unreleased music, but we've been able to hear the large majority of it, in one way or the other. No so with the sequel trilogy. So it took my vote

20 hours ago, Romão said:

I would buy all of them in a heartbeatand I would be particularly curious about a Oliver Stone box set. The thing is, we probably have hours of totally unheard music from the sequel trilogy. The prequels have a ton of fantastic unreleased music, but we've been able to hear the large majority of it, in one way or the other. No so with the sequel trilogy. So it took my vote

I would imagine The Force Awakens might have a bunch of stuff, given JJ's penchant for changes and how he shot and edited the film.

Now that Williams is more than likely done with Star Wars, I think it's high time to get the Prequels done and out. 

Anything IJ will probably be delayed since they are working on a new film. Or maybe we'll get lucky and Disney will put out a set prior.

I expect to see the Stone films get released by one of the labels at some point.

On 4/24/2021 at 4:47 AM, MrScratch said:

Definitely the Original Star Wars Trilogy, remastered C&C + OST by MM

That Universal Collection is a close second just to have all that unreleased stuff.

Then the Indy box, I’m mostly happy with the expanded releases we got despite some of their issues.

Then a C&C Star Wars Prequel box, I  am content with what is available and what’s been leaked.

Then an Oliver Stone box, I’m content with the OSTs.  I like BOT4OJ but not crazy about the other two.

Lastly, a Star Wars Sequel Trilogy box.  I really dislike these movies and am largely indifferent toward the scores.

Any of these would be an instant purchase for me though.

Mostly that! I voted for the Oliver Stone set as it probably has a marginally higher chance of becoming a reality as none of those scores have yet been expanded and aren’t big budget franchise movies so wouldn’t be of much interest to the studios who own the rights. Having said that I think they are different studios which is probably the major complication there.

Otherwise a “definitive” original trilogy  would be great. If only to fix the sound of Empire and Jedi (I’m thinking Superman level improvement if the tapes exist). However as they’ve had pretty decent releases between the Anthology box and the Special Editions I’d probably plump for the prequels or Indy scores. I honestly don’t recall any particularly interesting music missing from the SW sequel trilogy and beyond Force Awakens didn’t excite me in the way the originals or prequel scores did.

A collection of his early stuff would be interesting and I’d definitely try it. However, for that my preference would actually be some re-recorded suites as I don’t imagine many have particularly great sound and a well curated suite would probably cover them well.