John Williams / London Symphony Video Event coming May 4th

TownerFan

34 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I just have to say @TownerFan, I wasn't really sure what this blog thing was gonna be when you first announced it. You never know with these things, you see them get abandoned or kinda go nowhere and I just remember being like "Well, okay..."

But I am just consistently blown away by your dedication and all that you've put into it, producing all this great material and contacting these fabulous people. We all appreciate you, Maurizio. Looking forward to this one.

Heartily seconded!

35 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I am just consistently blown away by your dedication and all that you've put into it, producing all this great material and contacting these fabulous people. We all appreciate you, Maurizio. Looking forward to this one.

Hear, hear!

17 hours ago, mahler3 said:

We can’t please everyone and perhaps we didn’t talk about your favourite score enough. However, please remember that sometimes the musicians don’t recall as much as we’d like.

As long as at least half of it is about The Fury, all is well.

1 minute ago, WampaRat said:

Anyone see it yet?

7 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Tune in here at 8PM UK / 9PM CEST / 3PM EST / 12PM PST

Thank you @TownerFan and @mahler3, that was a very enjoyable discussion.  It was great to see and hear the musicians speak so enthusiastically about our favourite composer.

Maxine and David still look about 15 despite having been in the LSO for as long as I remember.  I want to know what they are taking!

Watched it, loved it! Great guests, great moderators, congrats to all involved! I'm amazed that you were able to talk to someone who played on the recording of the symphony, and that he actually had memories from it after all this time. I was surprised to hear that Williams insisted on so many takes for Star Wars '77, since I always had an impression (maybe it was an assumption) that they would have knocked those sessions out very quickly. And Maxine mentioned something similar about working with him on the prequels, where he motivated the players by pointing out how many more people would hear the recordings they were making, compared to one of the LSO's concerts.

Meanwhile the mysteries of Chamber of Secrets will lie in the chamber forever  :lol:  I wonder how much anyone would have had to say about it, though. Clearly the musicians have given Star Wars a lot more thought, since they'll forever be associated with it, and for the younger players, they grew up with it and were inspired by it. Funny that Sue called the LSO "the Star Wars orchestra" and said it's their calling card, when we're always angsting about whether the classical world takes JW seriously. Though she did say something like "too bad it's film music!" implying that the LSO does struggle with getting his music accepted in their circles.

I loved the story about Spielberg insisting someone call him at the start of every Williams recording session, so he can hear the first notes recorded! If I were him, I'd make them film the whole thing while they were at it...

Side note: I never thought of Horner’s scores being really synth heavy. But I guess it depends on which scores you’d want to perform live that would make them a bit more difficult to perform. At least in his 90s-2000s output. Never thought he used them more or less than Goldsmith at least...

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I personally am more interested in any LSO recording/performance of his music than him conducting them, but obviously anything is welcome.

So Sir Simon may wish to consider John T. Williams' Symphony No. 1 before he goes Munich.

Why not?

• 2 weeks later...