Were you initially disappointed with Williams score to The Lost World?

WampaRat

Were you initially disappointed in Williams’ approach to The Lost World?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Were you initially disappointed in Williams’ approach to The Lost World?

2. 2. Did the expansion change your opinion of the score?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

That's 9M2 The Compys!, which is now the first cue in the LLL track "The Compys!", disc 1 track 16

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hZY4hhCz-5NzbjKuPOx8R9Yb0iWnr4P4SwzG1-6VSTg/edit#gid=620322090

Thanks Jay. I found that complete cue list you have in the filmography section for TLW. Discovered also the last 3 min or so of “The Compys Dine” on the OST is actually “The Wrecked Ship” cue.

*sigh. Williams. WHY do you make it so difficult? Lol

13 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

*sigh. Williams. WHY do you make it so difficult? Lol

He thinks the album as a whole works better that way

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

JPIII is a lot of fun, with one particularly good set piece (the bird cage), and in a disagreement with the above, I think great vfx.

But yes, the ending is a load of crap. It's like they wrote the raptors/eggs scene and then had no idea what to do after that.

I'll also always defend Davis' score, which is well overdue for an expansion.

Agreed on all counts. Especially the last one. I think Davis’ score is terrific. Certainly miles better than either of the Jurassic World scores and not a bad follow up to Williams’ two originals. It has to work hard to be good with an uneven film but the action writing is great, there are some neat interpolations and variations on some of the original JP themes. 

I find the poll result interesting. 15 out of 44 people were at first disapointed by the score, 29 were not. But the expansion change the opinion of 23 people, which means at least 8 people liked the score until they heard the expansion. Then they change their mind and were... disapointed?

4 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I find the poll result interesting. 15 out of 44 people were at first disapointed by the score, 29 were not. But the expansion change the opinion of 23 people, which means at least 8 people liked the score until they heard the expansion. Then they change their mind and were... disapointed?

For me it meant that I really liked the score based on the OST but didn't realize just how amazing the score really was until I heard the C&C release.  The score went from good to great.

6 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Don't ask for consistency at JWFan.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

For me it meant that I really liked the score based on the OST but didn't realize just how amazing the score really was until I heard the C&C release.

I doubt the original poster had incremental changes in mind.

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

On 4/24/2021 at 1:31 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

I've never lost my appreciation for the score. I've probably always kept considering it as a candidate for one of Williams' very best scores, but with everything I've discovered and re-discovered since then, I wouldn't go as far as calling it the one best score to trump all others anymore. The LLL release reminded me of how I could think of it that way back in 97 though. That's why I voted "yes" for the second question.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Don't ask for consistency at JWFan.

I am constant as the Northern Star.

Yes I realize there’s an error in the poll. I didn’t think about those who originally liked it, and then their opinion changed to “loved it” after the expansion came out. Sorry for the skewed results.

Your poll isn't asking whether people "liked it" or not when they first heard it, but if they "were disappointed" when they first heard it - which is different.

Your poll also doesn't account for people who were initially disappointed, but then formed a different opinion BEFORE the LLL album came out

I would say I've always liked it - How could I not immediately fall in love with the main theme track, The Hunt, Rescuing Sarah, and Visitor In San Diego?  But I would say there was still, as far as the overall album goes, some "disappointment" that it wasn't what I was expecting.

However, that disappointment went away - and completely reversed into pure love - long before the LLL album existed

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'll also always defend Davis' score, which is well overdue for an expansion.

Agreed. My only complaint is that it leaned too heavily on the first score for its sound. Would have loved to hear one or two cues with percussion ala TLW, as sometimes the action pieces can get a little too dense in its orchestral writing and could have brought a little change of pace when listening one track after the other. I remember listening to the whole score I would end up exhausted and with a minor headache, like with Powell's X-Men 3 score xD

Davis's action music in that score can definitely be a bit fatiguing. I find that omitting Frenzy Fuselage or Clash of Extinction helps quite a bit. But overall, yeah, I think he did a bang-up job with it. It's got a Williams mindset without being total Williams pastiche, you know? Like, it's easily my least favorite of the three, but I still really like it.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Your poll isn't asking whether people "liked it" or not when they first heard it, but if they "were disappointed" when they first heard it - which is different.

Your poll also doesn't account for people who were initially disappointed, but then formed a different opinion BEFORE the LLL album came out

2 hours ago, Datameister said:

Davis's action music in that score can definitely be a bit fatiguing. I find that omitting Frenzy Fuselage or Clash of Extinction helps quite a bit. But overall, yeah, I think he did a bang-up job with it. It's got a Williams mindset without being total Williams pastiche, you know? Like, it's easily my least favorite of the three, but I still really like it.

Agreed! I like that sometimes he took some established Williams ideas from the first score and pushed them forward, like that little Stravinsky-like muted trombone figure that imitates the Raptor call. I mean, listen to those muted trombones...

Delicious!