Best Spotting in LOTR

KK

Not really spotting because HS wrote music for it but then PJ dropped it, but I liked how in the final cut the Seduction of the Ring theme is playing as Frodo shows Aragorn the ring in his hand, and the music snuffs out and Aragorn closes Frodo's hand over it, refusing to take it (instead of continuing on with the higher-pitched Seduction of the Ring theme extension that HS recorded for it)

Obviously The Black Gate Opens. 

The key to the brilliant accessibility of these scores is: always scoring the story, never the action. 

That's where all new scores fail. Always staying superficial, never making the effort to go deep. 

On 4/26/2021 at 7:58 PM, Jay said:

Not really spotting because HS wrote music for it but then PJ dropped it, but I liked how in the final cut the Seduction of the Ring theme is playing as Frodo shows Aragorn the ring in his hand, and the music snuffs out and Aragorn closes Frodo's hand over it, refusing to take it (instead of continuing on with the higher-pitched Seduction of the Ring theme extension that HS recorded for it)

Yeah that's lovely.

On 4/27/2021 at 9:34 AM, gkgyver said:

But it doesn't sound like the music has sync points. 

You put the finger on one reason why I have such a problem with The Hobbit scores. I don't know if it's true or not, but they feel sync pointed to death.

• 1 year later...

An interesting thread.

I've always liked the music as the Fellowship runs towards the Bridge of Kahzad-dûm. There's lots of brass, ascending in four phrases, with pulsating, rythmic strings, underneath. It's good stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The example in the OP is wonderful. It accomplishes what JW was able to do for a lot of the original SW trilogy. The music weaves together several scenes that could otherwise feel disjointed and clunky in their progression.

My example of smart spotting, during the Wolves of Isengard scene the music does nothing to acknowledge or sync with Legolas' cool horse mounting. The visuals play it off as a cool background stunt which is helps it be such a nice touch and the music does the same. Great spotting! Around the 2:15 mark. For some reason the YouTube app isn't letting me post timestamps anymore.