Watched Return of the Jedi recently

Bellosh

I like Return of the Jedi, but is there a more overrated character in the history of movies than Boba Fett?  What's Star Wars fans obsession with him?

Dude died accidentally to a blind Han Solo.  Screams like a bitch as he falls into the pit.  He's also super boring in ESB.

I'm convinced that his original action figure hype is the only reason why he got so popular.  The character design and outfit is decent, but that can't be the reason.

Why were people obsessed with this dude when I was growing up?

His dad also died a miserable way as well.  Complete failures.

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I really like ROTJ, it's a pretty good movie. Better than most SW sequels that came later.

But yeah, Boba Fett has always been an overrated character.

I like it mostly for Luke's arc.  Love seeing him in his Master Jedi ways.

9 minutes ago, His Royal Noelness said:

You can tell watching RotJ that nobody really wanted to be there anymore. 

Mos def.

Ford had established himself as a STAR with INDY and walked thru his role.

Bad on him!😡

6 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

I'm not hating on Boba Fett, but he's always considered as one of the coolest SW characters, though when Phasma died in TLJ after having significantly more screen time in two films it's "wasted potential", "bad writing" and a "sh*t character". 

You can't compare anything from Disney Star Wars to original Star Wars like this. One is a beloved classic influential trilogy. The other is...not. You've got to be realistic about it.

5 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

I'm not hating on Boba Fett, but he's always considered as one of the coolest SW characters, though when Phasma died in TLJ after having significantly more screen time in two films it's "wasted potential", "bad writing" and a "sh*t character". 

I don't think there was ever going to be any more room for Fett's character and that's fine.

I always thought the hype completely outweighed the character.

10 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

Because Phasma did absolutely nothing with her screen time. Completely useless character. 

Boba Fett beats the good guys in Empire. He tracks them down and he takes Han Solo away. That’s badass. 

His death in Jedi is lame but that’s Star Wars.

Phasma reeks of a poor attempt to recreate that Boba Fett archetype and like everything else in ST fell flat on its arse. 

7 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Nah Vader and Lando played a bigger part in getting Han captured.

Fett was a bum.

If Boba Fett hadn't anticipated Han docking the ship on an object to avoid detection like he saw Obi-Wan do in Attack of the Clones, they'd never have caught the MF.

16 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The Fett was a badass who stood up to Vader. He had attitude:

"What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me". It takes big cajones to talk to the most evil man in the galaxy, like that.

Yes. There's something to this, for sure.

Similar to Indy in Raiders, the most badass thing he does in that film is purposely bump into Belloq at the hangar.

7 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Not a topic worthy of further discussion.

Carry on , children.

Fine by me, any thread that isn't littered with your same ole grainy ass pictures you post is a win for this thread and frankly, JWfan.

23 minutes ago, His Royal Noelness said:

Boba Fett beats the good guys in Empire. He tracks them down and he takes Han Solo away. That’s badass. 

He's clever enough to follow the Millennium Falcon's stealth manoeuvre. Other than that, the most successful thing he does is make a deal with Vader that almost just yields him a worthless dead Han.

I personally love Boba Fett just for the simple fact that he wears the coolest armour ever. I think all the fuzz about this character stand in his look and the way he stood next to Vader in ESB. That being said their is surely not much more than this (at least in the movie) worth noticing but IMO it's already pretty great!

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

He's clever enough to follow the Millennium Falcon's stealth manoeuvre. Other than that, the most successful thing he does is make a deal with Vader that almost just yields him a worthless dead Han.

Well he did stand up to Vader in a vain attempt to stop the whole procedure. As previously mentioned, that takes some cojones. I think a lot of his popularity besides his actions in Empire is aesthetic. His suit looks unique yet rough, he's got an awesome voice (in the original version), and he's got a completely different looking ship compared to everything else in the first 2 movies. 

I'm mixed on his ROTJ death. On one hand, it's kind of nice to see a character just go out in a nonchalant way without any real fanfare, as he is just a henchman that isn't given any real importance outside of Han. On the other hand he goes out in such a comical and stupid way that it makes you wonder how he had the brains to track Han in the first place. 

As for ROTJ in general, upon rewatch it's definitely the most flawed, but I still enjoy it way more than any other Star Wars movie entry. The plotline on Endor (and everything with Han post-Jabba) is pretty boring and tedious, but I love everything outside of it. The second Death Star battle is thrilling, and the finale with Luke, Vader, and Palpatine is one of the most compelling final confrontations in science fiction/fantasy. 

4 hours ago, superultramegaa said:

On the other hand he goes out in such a comical and stupid way that it makes you wonder how he had the brains to track Han in the first place. 

Simple: he was drunk as hell! The palace, that barge, the babes, the music... maybe R2 even spiked his drink ;)

If you can't defend your favorite being the best, then right off the bat, nobody cares what your favorite is. Your own judgment is pretty much meaningless and not worth the time.

Of course for me, I don't know which Star Wars is the best. I might decide when I've watched them more and made up my own mind.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I guess my brain must be primitive, because I feel the same way:

ESB = best

ROTJ = favourite

That's something you get with a lot of people with that trilogy, where they recognise The Empire Strikes Back is the best (which it is) but their favourite is one of the other two: its usually Star Wars, but I can definitely understand people for whom Return of the Jedi is a favourite, especially if they saw it in an impressionable age. The movie is extremly appealing (by design) to kids, with its episodic structure and abundance of puppetry.

I don't have that nostalgia for the movie (I first saw it in 2015) so I don't share the sentiment, but I get it. Its a fine motion picture, but I think its been bettered by more than a couple of the following entries: The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi and Revenge of the Sith I find superior to it.

I only bother with Star Wars these days, film and score. 

I'm even becoming preferentially partial to the original old Imperial motif, with its ambivalently sinister and stark timbre style. 

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

...I can definitely understand people for whom Return of the Jedi is a favourite, especially if they saw it in an impressionable age.

I don't know about "impressionable age", but I first saw ROTJ on it's second day of release, at the Dominion Theatre, London (in 70mm/6-track magnetic, thank you very much!), and found it amazing.

The P.O.V. shot coming out of the tunnel and into the reactor chamber had the entire audience gasping in disbelief.

The air seemed to be sucked out of the cinema.

The only other time that I've experienced that kind of reaction, was when the Mothership first appears over Devil's Tower.

Peaches are the best fruit. They have the most textural balance, flavor, acidity, the best complex sugars and vitamins, and produce the richest refreshing feeling, but even though they're the most enjoyable, I don't like them. I prefer apples.

Seriously? Stfu.

Anyway, I will probably make the case that A New Hope is the best Star Wars, based simply on how I ranked them a couple years ago. I don't mind if other people feel a different one is better. What is truly better depends on how I feel at that time about all the diverse elements working throughout the films, aspects hard to define and subjective. These three haven't changed much for me. I typically find something better once I discover it, ie. something new. That's the easiest way to discover something better than, say, three movies you've already seen.

10 hours ago, Quintus said:

I only bother with Star Wars these days, film and score. 

I'm even becoming preferentially partial to the original old Imperial motif, with its ambivalently sinister and stark timbre style. 

I occasionally throw on the old movies. They still hold up and they're fun for the occasional drunken Saturday night. I doubt I'll ever watch the Disney ones ever again.

I still haven't seen The Rise of Skywalker and actually don't care to.

The Emperor being back and getting killed a third time (I know it's technically 2, but he did get wrecked in ROTS) is just clown world to me.

You gotta take into account all the EU stuff that propped up the Boba Fett character and expanded his people (until George word of mouth retconned Jango to be a fake Mandalorian), his appearance in the movies was really only just the beginning.

Fett has one underrated moment in ESB I like quite a bit. Watch the scene where Luke is sneaking through Cloud City, he peaks out a corner and makes a bit of noise and immediately pushes himself back as Boba walks past. As Boba is walking, watch what his head does, it jerks to the direction of the sound and then he keeps walking off frame which lulls Luke into a false sense of security. Then the moment Luke moves back out the corner, Boba pops up and shoots at him because he’s expecting him, and frankly if it wasn’t for Jedi reflexes I think Luke might be dead.

20 hours ago, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

If you can't defend your favorite being the best, then right off the bat, nobody cares what your favorite is. Your own judgment is pretty much meaningless and not worth the time.

I genuinely do not understand what you mean by this. Are you saying that if there’s a disconnect between what you think is better made and what you personally prefer, that you can’t make people care about your favourite movie? Doesn’t that defeat the whole purpose of distinguishing between ‘best’ and ‘favourite’?

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

Are you saying that if there’s a disconnect between what you think is better made and ‘favourite’?

Better made for who? Distinguish between black vs dark. Uh, this chair is black, but this car is dark. :conf: Specifically dark white, yeah.

Can I have some of what you're smoking?