Predict the next JW score expansion from the 3 major specialty labels

crumbs

I perfectly agree with your predictions. I would also say that after the long wait since the last Williams released I wouldn't be surprise if LLL would release an Oliver Stone boxset for the 30th anniversary of JFK.

Just now, Jay said:

Quartet, Music Box, Kritzerland, Note For Note in shambles right now... 

I don't know how Music Box is doing right now but the price of there second hand sets as almost doubled compare to the usual since the six month now. I've seen Intrada Jaws for $180!!! So I'm gessing they're not so well financially....

My predictions:

• LLL  Memoirs of a Geisha or  Amistad or Hook
  • Varese   Presumed Innocent
  • Intrada   Stepmom or Seven Years in Tibet

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

Quartet, Music Box, buysoundtrax, Kritzerland, and Note For Note in shambles right now... 

I figured someone would point this out; I just limited it to the 3 labels who have released modern JW expansions produced by Mike.

No offense intended to any of the other labels who are also doing amazing work on score expansions. I'd be thrilled to see any of them tackling JW scores!

Did I miss something, is The Patriot definitely Intrada territory? If yes, that's somewhat of a bummer, I'd love to see what Jim Titus would do with it, it'd fit so nicely with Far and Away.

The OST album to The Patriot was released by Hollywood Records, which is owned by Disney, so it's assumed nobody else but Intrada could get a license to expand it (the contract would involve Sony Pictures for the remaining music that wasn't on the OST)

This thread might interest you

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32706-john-williams-scores-by-music-label/

Am I correct that Return to Witch Mountain is the last Intrada release of a Disney owned score?  That was December 2019.  Hopefully this abnormally long gap is just a pandemic thing, and not a sign of a new normal.

30 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Am I correct that Return to Witch Mountain is the last Intrada release of a Disney owned score?  That was December 2019.  Hopefully this abnormally long gap is just a pandemic thing, and not a sign of a new normal.

Their most recent Disney title was Alive by James Newton Howard, in January 2020

We know they're working on Willow and that Broughton theme park album, so the partnership is still alive!

Oh what the hell, I did the work

1. Alive

1. Return to Witch Mountain
  2. Iron Will
  3. Johnny Tremain

1. Baby, Secret of the Lost Legend (redo)
  2. Micky, Donald, and Goofy: The Three Musketeers

1. Honey I Blew Up The Kid
  2. One Little Indian (redo)
  3. Good Morning, VIetnam / Operation Dumbo Drop
  4. Ducktales: The Movie
  5. Sky High

1. Dick Tracy
  2. The Haunted Mansion
  3. The Rocketeer
  4. Homeward Bound 2
  5. The Rescuers Down Under
  6. Unidentified Flying Oddball

1. Something Wicked This Way Comes (Delerue)
  2. Candleshoe
  3. Homeward Bound
  4. Adventures in Babysitting
  5. Tomorrowland (physical edition of digital OST album)
  6. The Return to Oz
  7. Lady and the Tramp (exclusive distribution of Disney Legacy title)
  8. Escape to Witch Mountain
  9. Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue
  10. Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure

1. A Far Off Place
  2. Deep Rising
  3. Night Crossing
  4. Muppets Most Wanted / The Muppets
  5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (physical edition of digital OST album)

1. Thor: The Dark World (physical edition of digital OST album)
  2. The Thanksgiving Promise
  3. A Christmas Carol
  4. Hocus Pocus
  5. Tinker Bell
  6. The Lone Ranger (physical edition of digital OST album)
  7. Oz The Great And Powerful (physical edition of digital OST album)
  8. Those Callaways

1. The Condorman
  2. The Last Flight of Noah's Ark
  3. The Avengers
  4. The Black Cauldron
  5. White Fang
  6. The Island at the Top of the World
  7. Toy Story 3 (physical edition of digital OST album)

1. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
  2. The Black Hole
  3. Squanto
  4. Up (physical edition of digital OST album)

• none

1. Honey I Shrunk The Kids
  2. The Journey of Natty Gann
  3. Something Wicked This Way Comes (Horner)
  4. One Little Indian
  5. Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend

Hopefully crumbs is right and the Fox merger followed by the pandemic are the primary causes and things will pick up soon

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I wish! :crymore:

Sadly that score would be prohibitively expensive to expand unless the AFM changed their fee structure for post-WOTW scores (or granted LLL a waiver, maybe because the score was recorded so close to the cutoff).

It's definitely one of my most-coveted expansions though, stunning score. The unreleased cue when Sayuri enters the garden is sublime (and even has an alternate that went unused!)

That's lovely. Sayuri's theme might be more obvious in the score, but Chiyo's theme is the true heart and soul of this score. Gorgeous theme

17 minutes ago, Romão said:

That's lovely. Sayuri's theme might be more obvious in the score, but Chiyo's theme is the true heart and soul of this score. Gorgeous theme

Which makes sense in the context of the film, considering Sayuri's longing to reunite with her family (except the Chairman becomes the surrogate for that void in her life). 

It really is a tantalising cue list when you see how many alternates JW wrote. If only it was recorded a few months prior :crymore:

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Okay as nobody has said the obvious yet I'm gonna do it:

LLL:

•  Hook (3CD) for may
  • The John Williams Indiana Jones Collection (9CD) for july
  • The John Williams Oliver Stone Collection (6CD) for Black Sunday
  • The John Williams Star Wars Collection (25CD) inclueding Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VIII, IX, Galaxy Edge (four hour presentation) Rogue One rejected score and Mando rejected score for this december

Varèse:

• Presumed Innocent (2CD)
  • The Eiger Sanction (2CD) for july

Intrada:

• The Patriot (3CD)
  • Seven Years in Tibet (2CD)
  • The Witches of Eastwick (2CD)
  • The BFG (2CD)
  • Stepmom (10CD) for december

This predictions are I think almost perfect and next year we get all what's missing.

LLL and Intrada already said that Star Wars / Indiana Jones would be done through Disney's own label, not through a specialty label. IF hypothetically they'd be done by a specialty label, they'd be Intrada territory, not LLL.

I'm sure Disney Records will finally get around to Star Wars... right after they finish re-re-re-re-releasing all 9 OSTs on vinyl. 

... and then release them again with new Deluxe packaging.

Can't say I understand their logic in refusing to licence the scores to Intrada when they're doing nothing with them themselves... but hey, what do I know? :unsure:

43 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

LLL and Intrada already said that Star Wars / Indiana Jones would be done through Disney's own label, not through a specialty label. IF hypothetically they'd be done by a specialty label, they'd be Intrada territory, not LLL.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - I was being sarcastic! - YouTube

I really want a complete Amistad and The Patriot.

Hook seems to be the favorite lately to be coming out, I skipped the last release because the score has never really resonated with me, but I'd give it a shot with this supposed final/complete edition.

LLL - Amistad

Intrada - The Patriot

Varese - The Reivers

Maybe it’s because Varese has already tackled the other JW score that lead to Spielberg hiring Williams for The Sugarland Express, but I’d really love to see them also take on The Reivers, though I seem to recall it has an especially complicated rights situation.

@Jay Is any of the speciality labels any likelier than the others to take on The Reivers, or is it equally likely to be expanded by any of them?

5 hours ago, Bellosh said:

I really want a complete Amistad and The Patriot.

These are really two of the best expansions left to be done, apart from the obvious Star Wars and Indy titles. Both have plenty of great material that didn’t make it onto the OSTs.

On 29/04/2021 at 8:05 PM, BrotherSound said:

Jay Is any of the speciality labels any likelier than the others to take on The Reivers, or is it equally likely to be expanded by any of them?

Supposedly Paramount inherited the rights when National General Pictures folded, and Paramount works with all the labels. But I don't know IF the original scoring elements exist anywhere, or if they got lost over time

• 4 months later...

It wasn't actually officially announced before... Bruce Botnick revealed on this Goldsmith Odyssey Soundtrack Spotlight that he had just finished work on it:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8360054-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-along-came-a-spider-2001

But now it IS officially announced and up for preorder!

https://www.disneymusicemporium.com/product/XVCD52/legacy-collection-the-hunchback-of-notre-dame?cp=null

Yavar

Let's not forget Quartet Records. They did IMAGES recently. So they should be doing more obscure titles. Maybe... a reissue of TOM SAWYER in full stereo! 

• 2 weeks later...

Since October is fast approaching, I'm bringing up a post I did in the WOTW thread from last year...

If you think about it we've been blessed with some excellent releases in the month of October recently.

2017: E.T.

2018: Dracula

2019: M.R.

2020: WOTW

All are either sci-fi movies with some spooky elements or horror type movies for the Halloween season.  

Could we see Witches of Eastwick, The Screaming Woman or Images in October 2021?  I can't think of any other yet-to-be expanded works that would fit in the Halloween mood.

Well, we can cross Images off the list at least, I'd love to get a WoE expanded release!