Jerry Goldsmith's LIONHEART (1987) - 2021 2-CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

What does that mean, they expect to sell 1,500 through their US store and 500 through their international store?

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

I'm of the mindset that Thor secretly purchases these expansions when we're all asleep.

When is that? Doesn't this bother cover pretty much all timezones?

On 5/1/2021 at 10:15 AM, Jay said:

What does that mean, they expect to sell 1,500 through their US store and 500 through their international store?

Apparently. I don't know the details. I do agree it's confusing that they list a different number on the website page than on the physical disc packaging.

Yavar

Why don't they offer this digitally? I know many film music fans are seriously out of touch with the changing times, but with shipping costs being what they are, Varése can only win. Hardcore fans will buy the cd, no matter what, but those dreading another 15€ surcharge like me would be more than willing to pay the asking price for a digital download. Oh well...

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Why don't they offer this digitally? I know many film music fans are seriously out of touch with the changing times, but with shipping costs being what they are, Varése can only win. Hardcore fans will buy the cd, no matter what, but those dreading another 15€ surcharge like me would be more than willing to pay the asking price for a digital download. Oh well...

It should come a bit later. All the previous releases end up digital.

Yea pub, all the Varese Deluxe Editions that have been showing up on digital lately only happen some amount of months (maybe 6 or so?) after the CD has had its chance to sell first

Am I the only one that is fond of the original Vol. 1 & 2 assemblies?

Maybe I am just used to them and admittedly, I have never listened to The Epic Symphonic Score but I enjoy having two very different walks through that score, like two ballet suites. I especially like how much longer it takes to get to the main themes in Vol. 2. In fact, Vol. 2 almost plays like a sequel score a la Chamber of Secrets, with some straight reprises and other more interesting variants. I don't think I've ever tried listening to it in chronological order.

I originally heard the two album assemblies and thought it was good music but it didn’t really click with me. I reordered it chronologically according to someone’s post at FSM years ago and suddenly the score came alive. There was a journey. There was thematic development which I hadn’t really picked up on before. It played as one long epic work and I loved it. I guess I’m curious what your reaction is to the chronological assembly when you hear it, since you already loved the existing album arrangements.

Yavar

Holy cow!  Varese has added this text to the product page:

This item is a PRE-ORDER. Ships on or before June 18, 2021.

That's a Loooooooooooooong delay, especially considering people who bought it from Varese's International store instead of their US store received it literally less than 24 hours later.

I guess this is an indication that the remaining US CD pressing plants continue to be backlogged... but that whatever one Varese uses overseas is not... damn

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's a Loooooooooooooong delay, especially considering people who bought it from Varese's International store instead of their US store received it literally less than 24 hours later.

*Some* people. I ordered on Tuesday (2:00 at night) and haven't received anything yet. Perhaps it's only the UK that got it so fast. Might also be because I included two other albums in my order.

Interesting. So because I ordered both this and Knowing...does that mean I won't get either until mid June? Damn. 

Oh well. Honestly, I'm going to forget all about it and come to the mail to a nice surprise in a month or so. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I wonder if that means they're pressing the International store's copies over here. I thought they were just shipping a load of them over in bulk.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I guess this is an indication that the remaining US CD pressing plants continue to be backlogged... but that whatever one Varese uses overseas is not... damn

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

*Some* people. I ordered on Tuesday (2:00 at night) and haven't received anything yet. Perhaps it's only the UK that got it so fast. Might also be because I included two other albums in my order.

My copy arrived on Tuesday.

59 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I wonder if that means they're pressing the International store's copies over here. I thought they were just shipping a load of them over in bulk.

The discs were made in the EU according to the backcover.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I can't believe I have to wait until the middle of June for mine!

I ordered Looney Tunes and Along Came A Spider at the same time, so I gotta wait for all 3

Surely 7 more Goldsmiths will be announced by then!

Welcome to my world. ;) 

(Mine's also bundled with Along Came a Spider. And that Delerue album they had on sale, because I have virtually no Delerue and should probably change that)

I ordered my copy along with Knowing on the 30th of April 9:38 am from the international store and my order is still unfulfilled. And there appears to be the same announcement on international store page of The Lionheart that it is a pre-order. Curious that some people like @crocodilefrom the UK already got both releases. Did they run out CDs after some initial batch?

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

The message on the website states

EDIT:

Think this explains it. 😂 I kind of like it... Jerry Lionheart... James Braveheart... John Heartbeeps. 

20210507_231835.jpg

Karol

Well they have now updated the website since last night. Oh well. Something to look forward to I guess.

And I believe it is John Heartwood rather than Heartbeeps. ;) 

41 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Well they have now updated the website since last night. Oh well. Something to look forward to I guess.

And I believe it is John Heartwood rather than Heartbeeps. ;) 

On good days, certainly! 

I believe you will receive your Knowing early. From FSM (scroll down to Lukas Kendall's post:

As a result of some errors and omissions in the artwork, we have made the decision to reprint the package. Unfortunately this means an unavoidable delay of approximately 6 weeks. Those of you who received a copy will be sent a new one at no additional charge. Customers who placed multi-album orders that included Lionheart will be sent the remainder of their in-stock order in the interim and incur no additional shipping fees. Anyone who placed an order for Lionheart and no longer wishes to wait are free to cancel for a full refund. We sincerely apologize for the error, but look forward to presenting the package in the correct manner. 

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

@crocodile How do the two unreleased cues sound? And what about the ending of The Future?

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I still have CDs from January that I didn't get to listen to. But will check it out later today. 

Karol

17 hours ago, FrankV said:

My copy arrived on Tuesday.

The discs were made in the EU according to the backcover.

Yeah, I just checked my copies of HTTYD and Wild Wild West, and they too say 'Discs made in the EU'. Dreamcatcher (which I got last week after hearing on Spotify) says USA though, so I guess there was a point where they switched from exporting to local pressing.

It's a very strange experience now to order Varese clubs and have them within the next day or two.

Shucks and this holds my order too but maybe I’ll request them to change or swap LIONHEART with some other title @Intrada.

Heh, that's a funny mistake to make with the artwork. This is why asking for more people to proofread is always a good idea! 

The 6 week day is illogical to me. All they really had to do was quickly print up fixed back tray cards and just throw one in with every order; no need to open up and swap the already shrink rapped sets. Weird. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

All they really had to do was quickly print up fixed back tray cards and just throw one in with every order; no need to open up and swap the already shrink rapped sets.

The back tray inlay is made from thin paper which is very easily damaged. The easiest way to protect it during shipping is to put it inside a jewel case.

On 5/8/2021 at 1:24 PM, crocodile said:

I believe you will receive your Knowing early. From FSM (scroll down to Lukas Kendall's post:

As a result of some errors and omissions in the artwork, we have made the decision to reprint the package. Unfortunately this means an unavoidable delay of approximately 6 weeks. Those of you who received a copy will be sent a new one at no additional charge. Customers who placed multi-album orders that included Lionheart will be sent the remainder of their in-stock order in the interim and incur no additional shipping fees. Anyone who placed an order for Lionheart and no longer wishes to wait are free to cancel for a full refund. We sincerely apologize for the error, but look forward to presenting the package in the correct manner. 

Can confirm the Euro store does it that way: The rest of my order just shipped.

I just got an email from Varese 6 minutes ago, anybody else get one?

Hello Jason ,

We have just received word that the Lionheart CD release has been delayed.

Lionheart Update

As a result of some errors and omissions in the artwork, we have made the decision to reprint the package. Unfortunately, this means an unavoidable delay of approximately 6 weeks. Those of you who received a copy will be sent a new one at no additional charge. Customers who placed multi-album orders that included Lionheart will be sent the remainder of their in-stock order in the interim and incur no additional shipping fees. Anyone who placed an order for Lionheart and no longer wishes to wait are free to cancel for a full refund. We sincerely apologize for the error, but look forward to presenting the package in the correct manner.

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the delay.

All the best,

Varèse Sarabande

€21.60 customs taxes on my Varese order (the part that shipped without Lionheart). Which has several implications:

- I'll have to fetch it from the post office (because I didn't have the exact amount and the postman doesn't carry change, or a card reader)

- Unless they included Lionheart in the receipt for this order and ship it as a gift, it's really not ok for them to split the order without asking the customer

- Post-Brexit, the Varese "International Store" doesn't deserve the name; it should be called the "UK store"

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'll have to fetch it from the post office (because I didn't have the exact amount and the postman doesn't carry change, or a card reader)

Beware of COVID zombies.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Post-Brexit, the Varese "International Store" doesn't deserve the name; it should be called the "UK store"

This is true, and unfortunate timing for Varese.  I wonder if they would have done things differently if they had known what was coming (IE, launching this store in a different country instead)

Yes, I suppose we can't blame Varese for it, and for all I know, they might be just as unhappy about it themselves. But of course that doesn't help us customers - I'll stick to bundling my Varese releases with other stuff in the future.

• 4 weeks later...