Jerry Goldsmith's LIONHEART (1987) - 2021 2-CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

It sounds like this release is cursed.

from FSM

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=143808&forumID=1&archive=0

Got this in an email this morning:
Lionheart Notification

We regret to inform you that the curse of the Lionheart Deluxe Edition continues. Unfortunately, Fed-Ex destroyed much of our replacement product in transit, which has warranted yet another repress that shall arrive at the end of the month. We apologize profusely for the uncharacteristic delays. Lionheart is now sold-out to the public, but we will have your order to you as soon as possible.

We appreciate your patience and support.

?All the best,

Varèse Sarabande

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if this CD set was just sold out or definitely OOP? Because it doesn't appear anymore on the US website and it is labeled as "Sold Out" on the international one. So if it's like for Intrada Sold Out means OOP...

On 8/20/2021 at 4:14 AM, Brundlefly said:

A well produced set by Varese Sarabande. The sound is great and there are no glitches or index issues. Not something to take for granted nowadays.

I love the artwork too.

With the 2 months it took to get the credits fixed, maybe someone went back and double checked. ;) 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So this cursed release is OOP... I went bad and fast... Is there any chance to get it reprinted or reissued soon?

13 hours ago, Bespin said:

So this cursed release is OOP... any chance to get it reprinted or reissued soon?

I would be very surprised if it was. I think Varese was happy to sell out the full run within just a few months...but it still took several months! I think that told them that they gauged the demand for it almost perfectly. (Though I'd have been very happy for them to go 500 copies higher, so another 500 people could have this great release...then it probably would have taken another couple years to sell out.) And they don't do reissues (Encore Editions) any more. If you can find a copy for a remotely reasonable price, I would nab it!

Yavar

Where to find a copy?  I don't want an used copy and I don't want the version written by the composer "Lionheart".  :lol:

Yeah I personally consider this one of Goldsmith’s very greatest scores (despite the performance problems) and I think it should be available forever. Maybe one day a new recording of the whole thing will happen?

Yavar

Perfection is a non-existent concept in the world of recorded music.

And often a small imperfection creates success.

If I’m not promoted to the rank of Jedi knight with these generalities, I wonder what it will take!

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

And often a small imperfection creates success.

Just now, Kasey Kockroach said:

(All while knowing nothing about the movie. I’ll assume it’s about a lion)

As much as The Wind and the Lion. I.e. less than The Ghost and the Darkness

• 7 months later...

Have I ever said that the score left me underwhelmed somehow. It must be the performance and the instrumentation - the score itself as on paper is great, but I cannot really enjoy it. This score is in dire need of a re-recording à la Conan The Barbarian. I'm gonna repeat that until we get one.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Have I ever said that the score left me underwhelmed somehow. It must be the performance and the instrumentation - the score itself as on paper is great, but I cannot really enjoy it. This score is in dire need of a re-recording à la Conan The Barbarian. I'm gonna repeat that until we get one.

I'm with you all the way.

It doesn't do much, for me, and it never has.

As far as 1987 Jerry goes, give me EXTREME PREJUDICE, any day.