Marvel Fanfare Showdown: Giacchino vs. Tyler

Disco Stu

Marvel Fanfare Showdown: Giacchino vs. Tyler  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Tyler or Giacchino?

I really like both, I don't remember Tyler's being that good. Usually don't have much of a taste for anything he composes, his MCU scores included. 

A shame they had to replace the original, but Gia did a great job on the second iteration. 

Tyler’s certainly makes me nostalgic for Phase 2. Recently been coming round to the fact that movies like IM3 and the Dark World are actually pretty good. 

I absolutely agree on IM3 which I think is one of the best solo Marvel movies but I personally do find the Dark World not that great. It has some fun moments but it doesn't do much to me. Its sequel is largely superior.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I think Tyler's opens stronger, but I like where Giacchino's goes more.

I think that’s the main reason I like Tyler’s more.  They’re actually pretty similar overall, but Tyler’s really pings me during that page-flipping portion.  

My primary issue with Gia's is that at 0:19, we lose the rhythm he's built up, and there's a moment where I feel I'm recalibrating, and working out what the bridging part is doing... and that's where it falls over for me. I also don't find the 'A' melody strong enough, such that when it comes back in, it doesn't land that final punch. Also, there's nothing visually accompanying the transition from 'A' to the bridge part - it just feels like it comes out of nowhere.

I like how focused Tyler's is - I find the melody more powerful to start with, and it retains that power right the way through. Just feels more 'logo-like', and by the time Tyler's is reaching the climax and we understand where he's going with it, Gia's is still trying to get there.

My favorite Marvel openings don't use neither of the fanfares. 

In Infinity War, the music that accompanies the Marvel logo is a dark, menacing performance of Thanos' theme from Silvestri, thus indicating that the movie you're about to see is "darker" than usual (for MCU standards).

And in Spider-Man: Homecomig, there's a fun performance of the Spidey 60s theme re-arranged by Giacchino:

Just now, Jay said:

The real apples to apples comparison would be if both videos included the same logo footage

Wouldn't there be a length difference?

So....

Both fanfares have two versions - the "short" versions heard in the films, and the longer concert suites. (Giacchino's suite technically transitions from fanfare into Doctor Strange, into Spider-Man and then back out into a slower version of the fanfare). 

Giacchino's suite was performed at the RAH in 2017. Tyler's suite has only ever premiered on Cinematic Sound.

Giacchino's "short" version is miles better than Tylers (and I'd say is my favourite current logo music of any major studio), however Tyler's concert suite is a real winner.

1 hour ago, Falco said:

Wouldn't there be a length difference?

Oh, I didn't know they were written for two different visuals

Both are no great shakes to my ears, but I like Gia’s slightly more for the catchier opening bars (to others’ chagrin here, surely, I appreciate hearing texture instead of brass/low string flatness).

My main issue is that neither composer’s melodies “go” anywhere interesting. They seem to intentionally avoid large intervallic leaps of any kind, so the result is a boring noodling-around. (Again, just to my ears.)

I have a soft spot for Tyler’s version, but I haven’t heard the long version of Giacchino’s - has it been released anywhere?

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm pretty sure the Giacchino suite mentioned above was just the usual fanfare followed by material from Doctor Strange and Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Dude, that's literally what I described it as... :P

It also transitions back into another version of the fanfare at the end.

14 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Dude, that's literally what I described it as... :P

It also transitions back into another version of the fanfare at the end.

Sorry!  I was scanning new posts too quickly 

I don't know which one I really prefer, since they're both about as standard as you can get for Marvel themes. Tyler's is certainly the more immediately recognizable one, but Gia definitely has more going for it in the composition department. I always figured you actually could make a pretty effective combination of both, making some adjustments to have them fit.

For now, I'll go with Gia on the basis that it does more to pump up the viewer for the film.

Interesting!  You think a trailer house did it, and Giacchino had no involvement?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Interesting!  You think a trailer house did it, and Giacchino had no involvement?

Yeah that's what I'd guess too. I suppose it's possible Gia did it, but...I'd guess a trailer house did it.

On 5/3/2021 at 12:48 AM, Mephariel said:

Tyler. I prefer the simplicity and the power. 

But this is my favorite:

Dozens of the same not before it finally changes to a different note. Lame.