Mad Max: Fury Road - John Williams

Mephariel

Had George Miller chose John Williams instead of Junkie XL for MMFR, how would John Williams have approached that score? Would he have kept the balls to the walls masculine tone? Would it sound stylistically similar to The Lost World: Jurassic Park perhaps? Maybe he and Miller would have clashed and the whole thing would eventually burn down?

I personnaly can't listen to that score outside of the movie but it is certainly terrific in it.
I'm not sure it would have been a project for Williams even if I have to admit it might have been cool to see what Williams would do in a universe that doesn't look  like what he's used to write for

Probably a mixture of the most badass parts of The Lost World and Black Sunday, together with weirder modern stuff out of Images and Close Encounters and maybe some badass modern action a la “Anderton’s Great Escape”. I think the existing score works well enough in the film (I more appreciate the quieter moments) but a Williams score certainly would have been a more interesting composition. A pity Brian May couldn’t have returned to the franchise...

Yavar

6 minutes ago, mstrox said:

This thread title takes me back to the days of Napster.  

I used to upload files with my name tagged as the Artist to see if a friend at a different college in the next county could see it by searching for my name. She could not. 

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He's not right for every movie.

I don't know about that. Pretty sure he could score any movie when given the chance. Lucas didn't think an original score would be right for Star Wars until Spielberg campaigned for Williams.

I'm constantly surprised at how adaptable he is whenever I listen to a Williams score I hadn't heard before. I think the question of whether he's willing, or interested in the movie is more relevant. 

2 minutes ago, superultramegaa said:

I don't know about that. Pretty sure he could score any movie when given the chance. Lucas didn't think an original score would be right for Star Wars until Spielberg campaigned for Williams.

I'm constantly surprised at how adaptable he is whenever I listen to a Williams score I hadn't heard before. I think the question of whether he's willing, or interested in the movie is more relevant. 

I'm not saying he's not adaptable, he is amazingly adaptable.  But personally, I doubt his ability to deliver a convincing metal/rock score that would fit what Miller had in mind.  I don't think this is a knock on him at all.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I think Williams would be neither willing nor able to provide a score that fit Miller's vision.  He's not right for every movie.

This. He may be a great composer, but the idea that he could provide a suitable score for anything is just silly.

Here's a few movies that would NEVER get a John Williams score but I still wish he had done them anyway just to see what he would do:

-Mad Max: Fury Road

-Sausage Party

-This is the End

-The Interview (that one on which Seth Rogen has to interview the dictator of NK)

-Neighbors and its sequel

-Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

-Suicide Squad (both versions)

-A Fast & Furious movie (anyone of them)

-Godzilla vs Kong

-Seth McFarlane's Ted

-Blade Runner 2049 (it'd be Williams' first electronic score)

-A Twilight and/or Fifty Shades of Grey movie

-A Disney animated musical

-Kung Fu Panda and/or Madagascar

-Mortal Kombat (anyone of them, as long as it provides the chance for Williams to write an orchestral version of Techno Syndrome).

28 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

I dont know, I think JW could do a mean Godzilla theme.. (basing this on the heavier brass parts of TLW)

At the very least it'd be a better theme than Junkie's risible Godzilla theme from GvK.

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Here's a few movies that would NEVER get a John Williams score but I still wish he had done them anyway just to see what he would do:

-Mad Max: Fury Road

-Sausage Party

-This is the End

-The Interview (that one on which Seth Rogen has to interview the dictator of NK)

-Neighbors and its sequel

-Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

-Suicide Squad (both versions)

-A Fast & Furious movie (anyone of them)

-Godzilla vs Kong

-Seth McFarlane's Ted

-Blade Runner 2049 (it'd be Williams' first electronic score)

-A Twilight and/or Fifty Shades of Grey movie

-A Disney animated musical

-Kung Fu Panda and/or Madagascar

-Mortal Kombat (anyone of them, as long as it provides the chance for Williams to write an orchestral version of Techno Syndrome).

Or something like Tenet. It is a bit curious to me that Williams completely avoided the modern day action/thriller genre. I would have loved to hear his score for The Rock or Face/Off. Is it just because he didn't want to have to mimic the Zimmer sound? Even more strange is the lack of big historical epics in his resume. You would think with his orchestral prowess and the LOTR craze in the early 2000s, Williams would be in high demand for films like King Arthur, Troy, Alexander, The Last Samuarai.  

That wouldn't have mattered. Most filmmakers don't like or want this kind of a music unless it's a tongue in cheek throwback, outright comedy or period drama. Not to mention intricate orchestrations would get buried in the mix anyway. 

Karol