“Virtuoso solos” in Williams scores

WampaRat

The POA flute solo came to mind just from the thread title alone. And of course, let's not forget all the crazy stuff in Hedwig's theme.

There are some fun soloistic moments for the piano in Snowy's theme. And doesn't The Terminal have some good stuff for clarinet? (It's been a loooooong time since I've heard that one.)

3 hours ago, Datameister said:

And doesn't The Terminal have some good stuff for clarinet? (It's been a loooooong time since I've heard that one.)

Can't remember if there were any particularly good bits in the underscore but 3:07-3:49 in the concert piece is good

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2021 at 3:12 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

A similar albeit more brief example that often comes to mind as a highlight from TLJ. 0:52 to 1:01 is such an awesome isolated passage!

Williams should've included this cue on the official OST!

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, pete said:

I like listening while looking at the insane score! And my first live to picture concert thing is Azkaban next month in Seoul. I'll be paying particulat attention to it - shame the whole solo isn't in the film. And I recall reading somewhere that some orchestras have used as an audition piece for flutists. That reminds me, I teach freshman English, and one of my students last semester is a flute major - she practices about 5-6 hours a day. I sent her the video, and she was like "nah, I can't play that!"

Legend has it that flutist Karen Jones nailed this at first take.

On 31/8/2022 at 10:15 AM, pete said:

And I recall reading somewhere that some orchestras have used as an audition piece for flutists.

I read that, too. Seems to be widespread — it's included in a recent compilation of flute audition extracts, along with Leia's Theme and Dartmoor, 1912. Some instructor at the University of Georgia has helpfully posted an extract. The performance notes from the editor are fun to read — nice to see the technical aspects of JW's music dissected along with the rest of the greats.