What is your favorite movie from the subgenre "iconic character vs iconic character"?

Edmilson

Famous character vs famous character  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better movie of the subgenre?

• Freddy vs Jason (2003)
    • Alien vs Predator (2004)
    • Alien vs Predator 2: Requiem (2008)
    • Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
    • Captain America: Civil War (aka Iron Man vs Captain America) (2016)
    • Godzilla vs Kong (2021)
    • Other (specify in the comments)

If you count in Civil War, could we then include this old Rocky vs. Apollo movie?

Anyway, Freddy vs. Jason is my choice. It is easily the best part of both series. 

Worth mentioning is maybe "Sadako vs. Kayako" where the evil ghosts from The Ring and The Grudge meet.

Freddy vs Jason was fun, because it was a very good recap of the two universes, with a lot of humor.

Nah, my favourite crossover movie is Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988).

While easily the worst of the Captain American films (far too cluttered, the villain's plan is dumb, and I really wanted a true sequel to Winter Soldier, dammit) Civil War is easily the best of these, escaping the curse perhaps because it avoided "vs." in the title!

Hey you forgot the iconic characters of Eks and Sever! ;) 

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

While easily the worst of the Captain American films [...] Civil War is easily the best of these

I agree with Yavar

I have a weird soft spot for Civil War, it's one of my most re-watched MCU movies.  It became like a comfort food, just put on random nights kinda movie for me for a while.  Not sure I could explain what I find so appealing about it.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I have a weird soft spot for Civil War, it's one of my most re-watched MCU movies.  It became like a comfort food, just put on random nights kinda movie for me for a while.  Not sure I could explain what I find so appealing about it.

I mean the plot's a mess but it's well-acted and compelling at times.

Yavar

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It kinda started to make sense to me after a while but maybe that was Stockholm Syndrome :lol:

Zemo's dastardly plan depends upon a number of things happening in certain ways and with certain timing (none of which he could control) in order to bring about the end he wanted. Everything happens perfectly conveniently for the antagonist or we wouldn't have had the story. It was very noticeable to me while watching.

And it was just far too messy and overcrowded. Captain America 3 should have been primarily about Steve and Sam going after Bucky, like the end of the previous movie promised. Instead it was more of Avengers 2.5 rather than Captain America 3, and the Captain America characters and storylines got shortchanged.

Yavar

Still I think, that Civil War does not really belong here into this poll. Usually in this genre the opponents meet from two different franchises. Neither the case for Civil War nor Batman vs. Superman, but the last one at least has the vs. in the title.

Even the Roger Rabbit scene therefore would have benn a better candidate in this poll.

Much more interesting question is, what other vs. movies would you like to see.

For example, "The Fast and the Furious vs. Transformers" or "James Bond vs. Ethan Hunt"? Or "Blade Runner vs. Terminator"?

Or Robocop vs. Hellboy

Or Vinvent Vega vs. Scarface

Corleones vs. Sopranos

The Blob vs. Venom

Ice age vs. Monster Inc.

Avengers vs. Justice League

Cars vs. Toy Story

Palpatine vs. Voldemort

Harry Potter vs. Deadpool

Whatever.

Alien vs Predator for me just because it's the only one from the list that didn't disappointed me.

Now the best "iconic character vs iconic character" movie is for me Heat (if it enters this category). Love that Pacino vs. DeNiro movie!

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I agree with Yavar

I agree with Jay.

I recall Civil War being good enough, just a letdown after the excellent Winter Soldier.  Too busy!  Apparently I didn’t retain much, because when we watched those Disney+ catch-up shorts before WandaVision and Falcon/Winter Soldier, a ton of stuff from that movie seemed completely new to me.

While it comes down to Iron Man vs. Cap, the movie is really “everyone vs. everyone else,” so I’m also not convinced it fits the theme per se.  if it weren’t there, the clear winner would be Freddy vs. Jason for me. 

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Since I'm obsessed with the ALIEN films, my vote goes to the two AvP movies. I also think the films are much, much better than their reputation.

Even Requiem?

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

Even Requiem?

Yeah. I mean, it's worse than the first movie, no doubt, but it has some crazy setpieces that haunt me in my nightmares (like when the xeno comes through the kitchen door of the restaurant -- images like that appear in my own dreams, applying the xeno to everyday situations and settings).

Lady Jane vs. The Phantom of the Opera.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah. I mean, it's worse than the first movie, no doubt, but it has some crazy setpieces that haunt me in my nightmares (like when the xeno comes through the kitchen door of the restaurant -- images like that appear in my own dreams, applying the xeno to everyday situations and settings).

You really should stop watching scary movies.

9 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Is that actually Q on the left?!

Yea

and the guy in the black vest in Publicist

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I was going to say Kramer vs. Kramer, but that feels more like a Drax thing.

I actually thought about including Kramer vs Kramer, but it would be the only drama among a poll of action/sci-fi movies. 

Not a single vote for Godzilla vs Kong? It's a decent movie! And is certainly funnier and more enjoyable than any of the other movies, Civil War included.

It's sort of enjoyable in a stupid way, but I never want to see it again.  All its on purpose attempts at humor are bad.  "Decent" is about 10x kinder than I would be to it.  Civil War has actual characters with emotions and arcs that I'm invested in.

• 3 weeks later...