Boston Pops John Williams tribute, Pre-recorded "Virtual Concert" May 20, 2021

Disco Stu

Interesting. I, for one, am thankful this got its own thread. I don't follow threads for events/concerts I'm not attending myself. Hopefully, the video is available for international audiences after it's aired.

15 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I always get nervous when an artist starts getting regular  "tributes" 😗

So you have been nervous in relation to Williams for 20 years?   

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

interview clips with JW

Newly recorded just for this, or existing?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Newly recorded just for this, or existing?

In introducing the first clip, Lockhart says "We had the chance to talk to John a couple of years ago, in the comfortable setting of Spielberg's private screening room at Dreamworks Studios..."

So new to all of us, but not super recent. I think JW refers at one point to the 9 Star Wars scores, so I guess after 2019 at least..

Excellent program.  I would have liked to have seen Rise of Skywalker--mostly because I am beginning to fear Williams is not going to release a sig. edition of it.  

Has anyone NOT in the US tried to subscribe to, and watch this? I'm wondering if there are regional limitations.

Yes, works fine - bought and watched it two days ago. I liked the concert very much, especially for hearing a new interpretation of Heidi, and Adventures of Han :) My only quibble would be that some pieces have a really slow tempo (for my taste) - but that may be a result of the spaced out seating making it more difficult to tightly play together (?)

Well worth the $9 for the week-pass!

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Has anyone NOT in the US tried to subscribe to, and watch this? I'm wondering if there are regional limitations.

No regional limitations whatsoever.

The whole concert is quite great, almost as a shortened new take on their album from a few years back, with a few additions not included back then. A pity they didn't include anything from Rise of Skywalker. One of the highlights though were Williams own pre-recorded appearances.

Well worth the week pass, or in my case the season long pass (looking forward to the Tanglewood stuff).

Every selection has clean openings and endings (no audience applause obviously), so someone could extract the audio and make a nice playlist out of it, with or without the comments by Williams and Lockhart.  (There is an exception during the Cantina Band encore, which includes a voice over about the sponsorship of Fidelity Investments, but it's fairly short.)

9 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

Every selection has clean openings and endings (no audience applause obviously), so someone could extract the audio and make a nice playlist out of it, with or without the comments by Williams and Lockhart.  (There is an exception during the Cantina Band encore, which includes a voice over about the sponsorship of Fidelity Investments, but it's fairly short.)

My only problem with their presentations is that voice over about the sponsorship. They could have left it for after that final selection.

On 5/20/2021 at 6:52 AM, Disco Stu said:

Maybe they were originally meant for a concert last year

I believe the clips were recorded for the May 2017 2019 concerts tied to Film Night the release of the Boston Pops JW album "Lights, Camera, Music." They were played live on the Symphony Hall screens and were explained at the time that Williams was too busy working on RoS to travel to Boston for the concert. However, some of the clips were not part of that concert. I have the audio from the May 2429, 20172019 concert and about half of the interview segments included in this 2021 release were not part of the 2017 one.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

In 2017 he was working on The Last Jedi, not Rise of Skywalker

Doh. I was looking at the wrong file in my iTunes as I have two that are very similar.

The right concert was May 29, 2019. So, recorded 2 years ago or so. I've edited my post with the correct dates.