How often do you actually listen to Schindler’s List?

WampaRat

How often do you listen to Schindler’s List?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you listen to Schindler’s List?

Hardly ever.

In the past 30 years, I've probably listened to it at most 7-8 times I'd guess.

It's good music, but not the kind of music I enjoy listening to frequently.

I've only seen the film twice in 30 years also.

Couple times a year. I have "mood phases" when I want to go through its difficult but satisfying journey again and again multiple times a week and then I won't listen to it for months.

Do you think it’s the subject matter that the music accompanies that makes it hard music to listen to?

The music itself I find really beautiful and don’t mind it’s heartbreaking and melancholy sound. I guess I have the same feelings towards a lot of Thomas Newman’s classic works (shawshank, green mile, road to perdition). I go through “emo phases” I suppose ;)

2 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Do you think it’s the subject matter that the music accompanies that makes it hard music to listen to?

Not at all.

Some music I enjoy repeated listens.  Some music works better as an occasional experience.

For me anyway

Not very often. Not even sure I play it every year (which is why I voted for "every few years"). It's a marvelous and brilliant score, but I have to be in the mood for it.

I actually listen to it a lot.

'Schindler's Workforce' is one of my all-time favorite cues.  Sometimes it's all I listen to from it.  I love the build up of that track.

Otherwise I have a playlist set up that simply omits the tracks 'Immolation' and 'Auschwitz-Birkenau" as I find those are the most difficult cues to listen to due to the subject matter.  But every now and again I will listen to those cues and the score all the way through.  I just find the playlist is easier when I'm not feeling those tracks.

But it definitely took me sometime through the years to be able to listen to this score without associating it to the film, I mean I still do obviously, but there's too much good music from that score to never listen to it.

It's one of my very favorite JW scores.  In the past few years I have only revisited it a couple of times, but when I was first getting into JW the whole score or some stand-out cues were in heavy rotation.

It helps maybe that I discovered the score several years before I saw the film.

I view them as two distinct works of art, really. 

It is one of maybe a handful of Williams scores were he seems to have written almost a distinct composition to accompany the film as opposed to just a musical score.

I use to play the main theme in the piano at least once per week, more excercising than playing, and I listen to the CD probably about once per quarter. Album is beautiful, a little bit repetetive, but it contains a number of Williams greatest musical moments.

36 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I mean, I don't know if I'm just a psycho but I have seen Schindler's List at least five times. It is the whole thing about Spielberg that he couldn't help but make it an extremely gripping and involving movie. It is so addictively paced, I can't help but go back to it because there are few dramatic masterpieces quite like it, it's in a class with the first two Godfathers. I don't know if entertaining is the right word but in many ways it 100% is and it's the criticism that most gets slammed at him with that film. But it's also why it makes more of an impact than just about any other film I've seen on the subject.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

30 years?

:o

I've only seen the film once, when we went to see it with my school class in its theatrical run.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Not very often. Not even sure I play it every year (which is why I voted for "every few years"). It's a marvelous and brilliant score, but I have to be in the mood for it.

This. Definitely less than once a year. And sometimes it's just Schindler's Workforce and Making the List.

My preferred listening experience for any score is usually going through the whole OST (or complete edition, if that's the case). It takes me on a journey.
But in this case I find it such a harrowing experience I hardly feel I have the strenght to go through it. I've seen the film multiple times, and often listen to theme on its own, in its many recordings, but the whole thing is too much for me.

Hardly any other score has quite that effect on me. I assume it's impossible to separate it from the subject matter.

I know that lot of people need to be in a certain mood to listen to this beautiful score, can't blame them it's a really peculiar score for a very hard movie but strangely enough I succeeded to disociate the score from the movie and the event related to it (I've discover the score before the movie so it might help a bit) so I don't mind listening to it at least once a mounth while I think I can't possibly watch the movie more than once a year.

Anyway it's a gorgeous score which fully deserves its success

I must confess, for me it is so easy to separate the score from the movie because the two times that I saw the movie, I did not hear the score at all. I bought the CD before I watched the movie and already fell in love with it. But when the endtitles rolled down the silver screen I wondered, if there had been any music during the movie. The music is used quite decent during the film and it is, I would say, completely unnecessary. This is one of the films, where I think, it does not really require its score. But without it, this beautiful music would not exist.

3 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

I know that lot of people need to be in a certain mood to listen to this beautiful score, can't blame them it's a really peculiar score for a very hard movie but strangely enough I succeeded to disociate the score from the movie and the event related to it (I've discover the score before the movie so it might help a bit) so I don't mind listening to it at least once a mounth while I think I can't possibly watch the movie more than once a year.

Anyway it's a gorgeous score which fully deserves its success

It certainly has its beautiful/gorgeous moments, but they are not the first adjectives that spring immediately to mind. A lot of it is harrowing/haunting, and I need to be in the mood for that.

10 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

To be honest its a lesser score than JP. 

Lesser how? Tell me, Joe, I want to learn.

It was all I ever used to listen to back when I was a teenager (not entirely sure why). So it's deeply entrenched in my memory.

Nowadays, it hardly ever gets played. But in the rare times it does, it's a very potent experience.

What do you guys have with this Jurassic Park score?

It's nice, yes. But it is more or less Williams default ware and one of the less interesting ones.

It can really not keep up with The Lost World, Schindler's List or almost any other Spielberg score.

My opinion.

16 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

What do you guys have with this Jurassic Park score?

Nostalgia for many, I think. They probably were at the right age when they went to see JP in theatres. 

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I loved the JP score from the moment I heard it ...

... at the right age.

Just like all those that were at the right age when they went to see Potter.

For the record, I was at the perfect age when I went to see Star Wars.

Everything is nostalgia.

Everything.

I have to admit, watching Jurassic Park the first time gave a feeling like, yeah, that is an adventure movie how they used to make it in the 80s (just with better effects) and a score like there were in the 80s and that felt great somehow. And that is... nostalgia.

32 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Add to that the fact that it wasn't JW's last super-great score. :)

Fixed.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Lesser how? Tell me, Joe, I want to learn.

You only have to listen. SL is a lesser score to multiple JW scores.

Alex attacking JP as nostalgic is certainly a weak argument. The argument can be made exactly the same for SL. 

They are virtually the same age. To those of us old enough I am sure we listened to both endless upon release. Both are lush and gorgeous. But for me its the little moments in JP that lift it above and beyond. 

Its not the nostalgia its the music.

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

You only have to listen.

That's what I did and that's why I prefer Schindler's List. JP has a poor main melody, it's why no street musician plays it, even though the film is ridiculously popular. Just play the melody on an instrument, Joe, only the melody, and you'll see it's not so great as you thought it was.

6 minutes ago, AC1 said:

JP has a poor main melody, it's why no street musician plays it, even though the film is ridiculously popular. 

There are more street musician who plays JP main theme then SL main theme. 

And how old were you when you saw JP? 

I never heard it played once and it's because the main theme of SL is a soloist piece while JP is not. 

I was 32.

I've never heard a street musician ever play any JW.

Well the first time I saw it I was about 6 or 7 on VHS but I don't remember notising the score back then. I started loving the main theme when I was between 10-12 (when my interest in filmmusic started) when I started listen to it on Youtube with no association to the film. 

1 minute ago, AC1 said:

Yes, but you're an exception, Joe. You always have been.

But I am the baseline.

3 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I've listened to JURASSIC PARK many, many hundreds of times over the years, and it's not even an exaggeration. Wore out my old cassette before I got the CD. These days, I try to portion it out - maybe once or twice a year, max. I want to save it for special moments, and I don't want it to wear out its welcome. It's my alltime favourite score, after all.

I wouldn't be surprised if I've listened to SCHINDLER'S LIST less than 50 times in total since 1993. And that's not a slag at its quality (I think it's one of the best films and scores of all time); just a consequence of that "being in the mood for it" thing.

I can say I listened to SL hundreds of times. It is a great score. I am not saying it isn't. I can close my eyes and play it in my head. I can do that for almost any JW score that I love. But JP while not my absolute favorite is something else. It plays with my emotions much more than SL. But so does Star Wars, Jaws,E.T., ESB, and the 1st two Indy scores.

8 hours ago, AC1 said:

... at the right age.

Just like all those that were at the right age when they went to see Potter.

For the record, I was at the perfect age when I went to see Star Wars.

Everything is nostalgia.

Everything.

So 14 is the right age to see Jurassic Park and 22+ is the right age to see Harry Potter. And 36 is the right age to see The Force Awakens.

14 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

So 14 is the right age to see Jurassic Park and 22+ is the right age to see Harry Potter. And 36 is the right age to see The Force Awakens.

No, it's not. But I do notice that some prefer kids movies, even at a later age. They must nostalgic for that period in their life.