John Williams Returns to the Hollywood Bowl, Sept. 3, 4 & 5, 2021

Ricard

14 hours ago, jedijim said:

June 1

I was going to ask because the site says subscribers only now, but non-subscribers can purchase tickets on June 1st?

How I wish I was allowed to travel to the US right now. Congrats to everyone who can attend these concerts, super jealous.

No excuses for anyone who lives stateside to miss this!!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a little confused at the wording here...do you have to be a subscriber to go to this concert? And the package thing is you buy it and 2 or 3 more concert tickets. I live in FL so I can’t exactly go to 2 more concerts.

3AF8B612-0915-4B5E-896A-AE4ACF398F2A.png

• 2 weeks later...

Is creating a three concert package the only way to get tickets for this, or will an individual option be available soon?

5 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Is creating a three concert package the only way to get tickets for this, or will an individual option be available soon?

And you only bought that one ticket right? You didn’t do a package or pick 2 other concerts?

Just now, Brando said:

And you only bought that one ticket right? You didn’t do a package or pick 2 other concerts?

Just the one.  Single ticket purchases opened at 10am.   I had to wait in a queue for awhile before they let me choose and buy.   The Saturday show seems to be filling up.  I got a seat in section D, close enough to the stage.

How fast would those Bowl tickets usually go?

I still want to believe that travel restrictions from Schengen area could be lifted before the end of the summer (I know chances are really slim, unfortunately :().

I could try and book a ticket just in case. I guess bookings can't be refunded, though. Any insights regarding that?

5 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Just the one.  Single ticket purchases opened at 10am.   I had to wait in a queue for awhile before they let me choose and buy.   The Saturday show seems to be filling up.  I got a seat in section D, close enough to the stage.

Thanks! Glad I looked today, I’m going to get in line in a few minutes

5 hours ago, obiwan71 said:

How fast would those Bowl tickets usually go?

I still want to believe that travel restrictions from Schengen area could be lifted before the end of the summer (I know chances are really slim, unfortunately :().

I could try and book a ticket just in case. I guess bookings can't be refunded, though. Any insights regarding that?

Just got done getting my tickets. There’s a few good seats left that aren’t way far away. Section D and E have a few single seats, which looked good but I was looking for two so I couldn’t do that. 

6 hours ago, SteveMc said:

After much deliberation I snagged a seat in section F, since it was in the middle. Hopefully I can get some good pictures!

14 hours ago, Brando said:

After much deliberation I snagged a seat in section F, since it was in the middle. Hopefully I can get some good pictures!

Nice!  Which night?

1 hour ago, SteveMc said:

Nice!  Which night?

Saturday! Now begins my hunt for plane tickets from Florida on that Friday haha. I wish they’d send out paper tickets, I’d love to keep one. I was very tempted to take 2 seats from sections D or E but they were both obscured and I didn't want to end up not being able to see, so I went for the middle.

I am attending the Sunday evening show. It would be great to have a JWFan gathering after or before the concert. I got to meet members of JWFan way, way back in 2004 after a Boston Pops concert with JW, and it was a big highlight.

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2021 at 12:17 PM, Brando said:

Saturday! Now begins my hunt for plane tickets from Florida on that Friday haha. I wish they’d send out paper tickets, I’d love to keep one. I was very tempted to take 2 seats from sections D or E but they were both obscured and I didn't want to end up not being able to see, so I went for the middle.

Section D and E aren't bad. They tell you which ones have the obstructed view from the screen or structures. I myself am going to be in D on Sunday night. The trade off is closer view as opposed to more centered. It's whichever your preference is. I'd watch from the woods surrounding the Bowl if I have to, as long as we're going.

• 3 weeks later...

We are about one month out from the concert series now.  Things are looking a little more uncertain now virus wise, but perhaps we could still make some tentative plans for a West Coast JWFan meetup?

@Trumpeteer @Brando

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 8:30 AM, Tom said:

Is this the 100th anniversary of the HB?  Or, more directly, will we get Williams's new fanfare at these concerts?  

So I researched my question myself.  No, this is not the centennial--that is 2022.  I guess the fanfare will have to wait.  Cool that Williams wrote it so far in advance though.  

3 hours ago, Alejandro said:

So, is anyone going to this?  I'm going on Sunday and it'll be difficult not to spoil it by seeing the play list like I always do. 

We will be going to the Friday show.

I am the opposite - I much prefer to see the set list ahead of time, mainly for any songs with which I may be unfamiliar.  For example, in 2019 the Bowl did release an official program online which allowed me to discover the music for 'Jane Eyre' for the first time, which was lovely.  I was so glad I was able to familiarize myself with it ahead of time so that I could really enjoy it being played live at the Bowl.

Unfortunately 2019 was one of the few years in recent memory where they posted the songs.  And I keep refreshing the main event page for any potential updates.  Fingers crossed!

It's not a big deal, just trying to bring the funny

Generally film music compositions are called cues, selections, pieces, or tracks, and not songs.  That's all.

I'll be at the Friday show!

I guess whoever of us is there on Friday can just meet up briefly at the Bowl or just outside and say hello.

Unless someone has ideas for something more formal.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

It's not a big deal, just trying to bring the funny

Generally film music compositions are called cues, selections, pieces, or tracks, and not songs.  That's all.

Until we get a universal term for a track/piece I think it should be ok to call them songs

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Piece, cue, track, movement (if it's a compositionally distinct part of a larger work), segment (if it's a compostionally non-distinct part of a larger work).

It's only a song if it's sung.

Yes

1 hour ago, PokeDocMatt said:

Gonna be there Friday night. My second time seeing the Maestro at the Hollywood Bowl. Every time I have the chance to see him, it feels like such a gift from the universe. 

Agreed.  Plus given his advanced age, I've made an extra point of going over the last several years.  
Even when conducting for half the show (and the repeated encores), its amazing to see him as active as he is.

For those who are going this weekend, do you have any particular son-...pieces that are high on your list?

Of the usual hits, while we can safely rely on some Star Wars and usually one or both of Superman and Indiana, I must say anything from 'E.T.' is still my favorite. Especially with the setting of the Bowl at night, I usually tear up a little.

I really hope to hear 'The Rise of Skywalker' or 'Reunion'.  While there are mixed opinions of the movie, the theme from those pieces is fantastic. 

6 hours ago, atmicwedgy said:

For those who are going this weekend, do you have any particular son-...pieces that are high on your list?

I always like one of those little gems that doesn’t get as much stage time. Main Theme from Sabrina, a selection from Lincoln, and the suite from Jane Eyre, were some of my favorites of concerts I’ve been to. 

For the heavy hitters, I would love to hear Close Encounters. 
For the little gems, Stanley and Iris or Accidental Tourist would be magical. I love listening to them when the weather gets cooler. The River would also be cool. Some great Americana in there. 

But most of all I want to hear Crimebuster.

i don’t have high hopes for any of those, CE included. 

7 hours ago, atmicwedgy said:

I am hoping so bad that he does 'Flight to Neverland'. Hook is my favorite score he's composed and I so hope I get to hear him perform that glorious theme!