John Williams Returns to the Hollywood Bowl, Sept. 3, 4 & 5, 2021

Ricard

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Did the audience applaud when Simone Biles appeared? They did at Tanglewood

Simone was the biggest. But a lot of them got significant applause/cheering, actually. Bolt. Phelps. The Williams sisters. You could also tell the audience really connected when the music got intense towards the final build up when the athletes were showing their preparation and nervousness before starting. Awesome stuff. 

Being from Wisconsin, I whooped when they showed the gold medal winning curling team. Probably startled/confused the locals. 

Yea, I'm generally not a fan of video montages at film music concerts, but that Olympics one was definitely well done 

2 hours ago, PokeDocMatt said:

Simone was the biggest. But a lot of them got significant applause/cheering, actually. Bolt. Phelps. The Williams sisters. You could also tell the audience really connected when the music got intense towards the final build up when the athletes were showing their preparation and nervousness before starting. Awesome stuff. 

Being from Wisconsin, I whooped when they showed the gold medal winning curling team. Probably startled/confused the locals. 

Kobe was not the biggest?---shame on the LA audience.  

31 minutes ago, Remco said:

Someone told be JW got so excited during the first piece that he lost his baton. Can someone confirm?

Yep it went flying and he finished without it! And then joked around a bit. I didn’t catch how or when it returned to his stand, but he turned around and there it was. 

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

Kobe was not the biggest?---shame on the LA audience.  

Kobe was mentioned prior to the piece in a brief, loving statement from JW and that’s when the audience went wild. They definitely reacted during the clip of him, but it was less celebratory if I recall correctly. 

So still no "Rise of Skywalker" performance? Weird. This program is quite boring I have to say... but these days one welcomes whatever is conducted after 16 months without live music.

Bummer we didn't get Adventures of Han at Tanglewood. That's one of my favorites in recent years. 

How was the tempo on it? He conducted it very slowly at the previous Tanglewood, and I don't know if that's his age or because it's just a scorcher in general. He looked so much more energetic this year that I'm wondering if it was faster. Everything was a better tempo this time around.

8 hours ago, pete said:

What was performed besides Olympic Fanfare, The Adventures of Han, and The Imperial March? I'm dying to know!

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33778-john-williams-returns-to-the-hollywood-bowl-sept-3-4-5-2021/&do=findComment&comment=1831662

5 hours ago, SteveMc said:

I love how he seemed to want the audience to really like BFG, he appears proud of the work.

Yeah, he keeps returning to this piece!

Reminds me of Adventures of Mutt becoming a mainstay long after memories of that film faded.

9 hours ago, Trumpeteer said:

The Overture to the Oscars was new, I think? I have to look it up, but it sounded like the music that opened the 2002 Oscars when he was co-musical director. 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34071-overture-to-the-oscars-new-jw-composition/

Did no one at any of the concerts record OttO?  (This is the new nickname for "Overture to the Oscars," and it is not negotiable.)  Come on, people!  This is the only Williams piece performed fewer times than "The Rise of Skywalker."  We need all the video we can get to pore over and compare!