What's your favorite film/tv franchise that started in the 60s?

Jay

The top Film & TV franchises that started in the 1960s  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What would you say is your favorite film/tv franchise that started in the 60s?

• Psycho (1960-2017)
    • James Bond (1962-present)
    • Pink Panther (1963-2011)
    • Doctor Who (1963-present)
    • Mission: Impossible (1966-present)
    • Star Trek (1966-present)
    • Planet of the Apes (1968-2018)
    • I honestly do not like any of these franchises whatsoever
    • Lost In Space (1965-present)
  2. 2. Which of them would you say has been the most consistent in quality during its long life?

• Psycho (1960-2017)
    • I don't know
  3. 3. Which of them would you say has had the highest highs, even if overall the franchise has also had many lows?

• Psycho (1960-2017)
    • I honestly cannot think of one high point in any of these
  4. 4. Which of them has provided the original music you like the most?

• Psycho (1960-2017)
    • I honestly do not like any of these scores at all

Yes, I know the James Bond novels started in the 50s, and the original Psycho novel came out in 1959, and that there does exist many other franchises that I did not include.  But I think I included the most important ones to vote on and discuss, unless you want to persuade me otherwise.

When voting consider everything the franchise has brought us - films, tv shows, books, comics, games, etc.

1. DR. WHO. I obviously put the Sellers PINK PANTHER movies, the original PSYCHO or a couple of the M:I movies far ahead of anything WHO has ever produced, but as a whole 'entity', I guess I'll have to choose that. It comes with a (his)story, though. I'll try to do it briefly: Saw a few eps of DR. WHO on TV in the 80s. Disliked its campy nature even as a kid. Discarded it. But when it was rebooted in 2005, I became a fan. I then used several months to watch ALL Who episodes since the beginning (the ones that are unavailable, I watched with still images and sound only), only for reference. So it's by far the one 'franchise' of these where I've seen the most, and hence feel closer connected to.

2. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. Only seen a few sporadic things of the television shows, but it was OK. All of the films have been high quality, IMO.

3. PINK PANTHER. Of all the entries in these franchises, nothing beats the Sellers movies, IMO. Perhaps the best comedies ever made. I even prefer it over the original PSYCHO. But then you also have lows, like the new movie by fellow countryman Harald Zwart, the one with Steve Martin in it.

4. PINK PANTHER again. Mancini's music is genius - and consistently so through all of them (my favourite is PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN). There have been some superb scores in the other franchises too, but alas also some really, really lows (several of them by "franchise robber" Giacchino in recent times).

I've never cared much for James Bond or Star Trek, except a couple of new iterations of both (the Brosnans for nostalgia, the Craigs because they're less camp and closer to BOURNE in aesthetic -- I like series like PICARD and DISCOVERY, which Trekkies don't seem to). PSYCHO only has the first film going for it (although I aim to watch BATES MOTEL at some point). POTA has that first iconic movie, then a string of nonsense movies, and then the reboot, which is OK.

I voted for Trek in everything but score, but I'd qualify that as 1966-2005.  TOS and 90's era Trek were generally solid throughout, and often brilliant. But there's very little Trek in the Star Trek that's come since then (e.g. the Kelvinverse and the current horrid Kurtzman era).  007 would be a close second for me.

Aside from watching a few minutes of a couple Tom Baker episodes I've never seen an episode of Doctor Who.  The only thing I remember about it is Baker was wearing a scarf and there were some robot trash cans rolling around.

I went with James Bond as my favorite.  it was kind of hard for me to pick, because all of these have brought stuff I liked, but also stuff I didn't (and many feature endless hours of content I havent' seen yet).  When it came down to it, I picked the one that I'd be most excited to see a new entry in, and I guess that's Bond for me.  For a while I looked forward to the new Star Trek flicks, but that franchise seems to be going through another low period now.  I pretty much like all the MI movies except 2, but ever since McQuarrie took over and booted Kraemer after 1 flick I've been less enthusiastic about more movies (and everything relating to Scientology rubs me more and more the wrong way as time goes on too)

I had to vote I don't know for most consistent.  Just too much I haven't seen.  For Pink Panther I loved all 6 of the movies I saw (the original 6), but haven't see the remaining 3 in the original run, or the Martin reboots, or the kid's cartons.  For MI I love movies 1, 3-5 but haven't seen the original or 80s show.  For Star Trek I've seen movies 1-6,8-9, and the Kelvin entries but the only various different parts of its TV history.  etc

The highest highs I went with Star Trek.  The best parts of the best movies are fantastic

For music, that's so tough, because I absolutely love TONS of music created for Star Trek, Mission; Impossible, Pink Panther, and Planet of the Apes.  Psycho the original score is a classic and Jerry's is cool but don't know the others.  For Bond I love Barry and Arnold and Kamen's work but don't know some of the others well.  I don't know any Doctor who music at all

Star Trek is better than most everything. But not all.

I went with Star Trek for all of them, because Star Trek is better than everything. ;)

There is a TON of bad Star Trek, and even bad Star Trek music. But I also think for me it has the highest highs (including for music). For me the only one I waffled on was consistency. But I've only seen the original Psycho so can't judge that franchise really. I've seen most of the new Mission: Impossible movies and they were okay; I saw the first season of the original show and overall liked it better but never continued watching the rest of the show (and never saw the reboot). The James Bond films are *incredibly* inconsistent to say the least, and I think less consistently good than Trek, even considering recent Trek. Doctor Who is notoriously inconsistent even throughout the reboot (which I generally love). I love the first Planet of the Apes and the last two of the modern trilogy, so was tempted to vote for that but there's a lot of crap in between.

Pink Panther also has several terrible entries in its franchise, but I agree that for the period while Sellars was alive, it was pretty consistently entertaining!

Yavar

Those first 6 Panther movies are all a hoot - yes, even the Alan Arkin one!

But no doubt, the Edwards/Sellers/Mancini ones are exceptional

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yes, I know the James Bond novels started in the 50s, and the original Psycho novel came out in 1959, and that there does exist many other franchises that I did not include.  But I think I included the most important ones to vote on and discuss, unless you want to persuade me otherwise.

Other important ones that could potentially be included...

The Twilight Zone (technically started in October of 1959, so could I guess be disqualified even though it was primarily a 60s show)
The Addams Family (they keep making more stuff in this franchise!)
Lost in Space (there was the 90s film revival but also the recent Netflix series)

Yavar

I don't know, I have watched some installments from each franchise over the years, but I can't say I'm a big fan of any of them. 

They all produced amazing scores, of course. 

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Those first 6 Panther movies are all a hoot - yes, even the Alan Arkin one!

But no doubt, the Edwards/Sellers/Mancini ones are exceptional

And the music stays very good even as the films eventually get bad. If there had been a poll question about most consistent music from a series, I think I would have voted for Pink Panther. Love all the Mancinis, the Ken Thorne, and even the new Christophe Beck ones are fun enough.

Yavar

I am pretty impressed that Mancini was able to continually come up with great new music for a comedy franchise as the decades went on

1. Mission: Impossible ->I haven't seen much episodes from the show but I think all the movies are exceptionnal (apart from the second one)

2. James Bond -> When you see a James Bond flick there's always one things sure is that it's going to be okay at least or very good

3. Mission Impossible -> Hard choice here because I really did hesitated between MI6 and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes as the best picture

4. Star Trek -> Just because of Giacchino's astonishing and perfect score........... (okay I'm kidding it's just for Goldsmith's STTMP)

• 2 weeks later...