Pencils with which John Williams Writes

RomanticStrings

I recently watched the video of Williams working on The Empire Strikes Back. In it, he and the other musicians use many writing utensils. Can anyone identify the brands? Does anyone have any insight into Mr. Williams' favorite writing implements?

I did search for "pencil", but my search term wasn't strong enough! Now I know better.

Though, having seen that image, it wasn't what he was using back in '80, based on the video. Perhaps he isn't as persnickety, or like some, he fluctuates between them, or maybe he finds the padded grip more comfortable now.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

Ooh, that is wonderful information! Thank you, Smeltington!

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, you could have done more. 

;)

At the same time, I had seen that image, and while I thought it might be the Pentel, it isn't the wooden pencil he was using in the video (which seems to have been identified). I would have still posted :)

For some composers, I'm not sure they worry about their writing implements and paper, but for others, it's a very personal part of their process. I wonder where Williams falls in that. For me, I focus far too much on the stationery and not enough on the music... that's my problem...

You know who else was always after Williams' pencils, was William Ross:

I was stunned by the amount of music he wrote. We were on the 12th day of a 13-day recording schedule and I received a package with new cues to record. That night I actually called John and told him I was sending the music police to confiscate his pencil.

https://cnmsarchive.wordpress.com/2013/10/03/william-ross-on-adapting-harry-potter-and-the-chamber-of-secrets/

On 5/14/2021 at 7:43 AM, Smeltington said:

That's in my basement now ... but I'm working on getting it displayed where more people might be able to see it in person. 

1 hour ago, Doug Adams said:

A few of you already have!

Somehow, that doesn't make me feel better!

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Then JW shouldn't have written that Star Wars score.

BAN HIM  :angry:

5 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I bought Jon Williams car and there was a pencil in the glove compartment, with William's teeth prints on it! I have Jon Williams pencil! This may have been the pencil he wrote Heartbeeps on!

chewed-pencil-with-new-eraser-picture-id

Williams recently bit me on the arm.  Let's find a dentist!