Mindblowing: when Indy 5 is released, Williams will have scored films in 8 (!) different decades!

Sandor

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

DADDY-O is 1958, but yes -- impressive indeed!

I did this thread over on FSM about the oldest living film composers, between ages 85-100. Some have been active all the way, while others have retired. Currently, Johnny Pate and William Kraft are the oldest (97). Pate started in the 40s. Both are retired now, however. Also, while not a film composer per se, trumpeter Ray Anthony is still around at 99. He started playing with the Glenn Miller orchestra in 1940 and played on many soundtracks throughout the years.

Composers like Morricone and Bent Fabricius-Bjerre managed to do soundtracks in 7 consecutive decades, so Williams will have them beat by the time INDY 5 comes out.

Thanks for the info Thor! Appreciated and insightful! 

45 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Combination of good genes and work ethic I guess.  It's really amazing and I don't think I would have predicted it in my wildest dreams 15 years ago when he went into semi-retirement.  I like to imagine what it might have been like if different composers of yesteryear had had similar longevity and filmmakers wanting to work with them.  Miklós Rózsa scoring The English Patient, Franz Waxman scoring The Silence of the Lambs or something.  They both would have been near JW's age around then.

Williams was older while scoring TFA than Korngold would have been had he scored Star Wars.

11 hours ago, Thor said:

DADDY-O is 1958, but yes -- impressive indeed!

I did this thread over on FSM about the oldest living film composers, between ages 85-100. Some have been active all the way, while others have retired. Currently, Johnny Pate and William Kraft are the oldest (97). Pate started in the 40s. Both are retired now, however. Also, while not a film composer per se, trumpeter Ray Anthony is still around at 99. He started playing with the Glenn Miller orchestra in 1940 and played on many soundtracks throughout the years.

Composers like Morricone and Bent Fabricius-Bjerre managed to do soundtracks in 7 consecutive decades, so Williams will have them beat by the time INDY 5 comes out.

Wasn't aware William Kraft did some film and tv scoring. I only know him from his concert works.

12 hours ago, Sandor said:

Starting with Daddy O in 1958 to the fifth film of the Indiana Jones franchise in 2022 (hopefully), Williams will have scored films in 8 different decades. I wonder if Williams is the first composer in history who has written film music over such a long period of time (64 years with the release of Indiana Jones 5) and the first who has produced a soundtrack score in 8 consecutive decades.

Whatever the case, it is a testament to an incredible and impressive career (and Williams’ great health).

You know, I had that same thought some weeks ago. Now I wish I’d posted it so I could have harvested those dozen likes for myself 😜

24 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

I should have made this thread a few months ago, when I wrote this on wikipedia:

If he gets nominated for Indiana Jones V and becomes the only person nominated not just in 7, but in 8 consecutive decades, his record will be very hard to break.

Or, to put it differently, Williams will have been a contender for the best score in 8 out of 11 decades of Academy Awards history.

If he somehow wins for it, he'll be the oldest person to win an Academy Award. 

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

If he gets nominated for Indiana Jones V and becomes the only person nominated not just in 7, but in 8 consecutive decades, his record will be very hard to break.

Or, to put it differently, Williams will have been a contender for the best score in 8 out of 11 decades of Academy Awards history.

That would be the his 7th decade with a nomination, wouldn't it, his first being Valley of the Dolls in 1967 (release year).

Which obviously would still be VERY impressive. 

The Rise of Skywalker was nominated for the 2020 awards, which already puts it in the 2020s and Williams' seventh decade of nominations.

My bad about the 8th decade though. He would have to stay alive and working for 10 more years. Unimaginable, I'm afraid :( 

9 hours ago, Fabulin said:

The Rise of Skywalker was nominated for the 2020 awards, which already puts it in the 2020s and Williams' seventh decade of nominations.

My bad about the 8th decade though. He would have to stay alive and working for 10 more years. Unimaginable, I'm afraid :( 

GIF seriously ernsthaft - animated GIF on GIFER

Spielberg had him drink from the cup of Christ.