The most recent John Williams Star Wars expansions was over 2 decades ago...

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Something I just thought about and brought up on Discord; I realized I could check if the Jabba the Hutt concert suite elements have been found by comparing the ending of Han Solo Returns with the 2016 scan of the vinyl master from 1983. Looks like it has been copy/pasted right into the 2018 set, indicating that either that suite is still missing or has been degraded to the point of being unusable.

...that's not what I remember, wasn't it inconclusive, different enough in some way? It's the same recording anyway, how different would it be if the album mix is the film mix which we know it mostly is? And maybe they grabbed it from the album master out of laziness. That wouldn't be the only thing they did out of laziness.

3 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

the odds of us getting a third disc would be practically nonexistent

But what are the odds that Disney would be willing to pay for that?

Aren't CDs dirt cheap to make? Doesn't Disney have infinite money? Multiple Legacy Collection sets have over 2 discs, Fantasia has 4.

And for those thinking about the liner notes: ever hear of a PDF? Many digital releases have them!

My problem with digital, no difference at all from if I just pirated a copy, I have no sense of ownership over it. And scrolling through a pdf is in no way preferable to flipping through a book.

7 hours ago, Holko said:

...that's not what I remember, wasn't it inconclusive, different enough in some way? It's the same recording anyway, how different would it be if the album mix is the film mix which we know it mostly is? And maybe they grabbed it from the album master out of laziness. That wouldn't be the only thing they did out of laziness.

The spectrogram is the same which is the issue. It is indeed possible it could've been done out of laziness, which I hope is the case.

7 hours ago, Holko said:

My problem with digital, no difference at all from if I just pirated a copy, I have no sense of ownership over it. And scrolling through a pdf is in no way preferable to flipping through a book.

You do own it though, just as much as a physical CD. Just make sure you have backups of them so you don't lose them, just as a physical CD can break or decay over time. You can even burn the digital files to a disc if you'd like. And I am not at all referring to music streaming. Fuck music streaming.

7 hours ago, Holko said:

Aren't CDs dirt cheap to make? Doesn't Disney have infinite money? Multiple Legacy Collection sets have over 2 discs, Fantasia has 4.

True. I'm not familiar with the Legacy collection, but I still hope they'd give the same treatment to the Star Wars scores in that regard. My feelings were mostly coming from the fact they are a large corporation and might try to weasel out of anything they can. I suppose it's far more likely they would be willing to provide more discs to the ST at least. But as I mentioned, although there is enough material to perhaps warrant a third disc for TPM and ROTJ, it would only be enough to fill maybe like 1/10 of it, and therefore there would be less incentive to include it.

30 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

You do own it though, just as much as a physical CD.

Yes I do, and I know I do, I just feel less like I do :lol:

30 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

But as I mentioned, although there is enough material to perhaps warrant a third disc for TPM and ROTJ, it would only be enough to fill maybe like 1/10 of it, and therefore there would be less incentive to include it.

What if they did Trilogy boxes? 2 discs per movie plus one bonus for all the concert pieces and then the alternates? (OT and PT, the ST would need at least one bonus disc per movie of course. Maybe SW could even fit on one disc if you bring the Cantina pieces over to the bonus disc. Though that then starts filling up the bonus disc leaving no space for bonuses like all those Main Title takes.)

49 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

But as I mentioned, although there is enough material to perhaps warrant a third disc for TPM and ROTJ, it would only be enough to fill maybe like 1/10 of it, and therefore there would be less incentive to include it.

I think in instances like that, you'd probably just end up with "bonus tracks" in the digital release that get left off the album.

But maybe not with the ST because there's such a volume of extra material and you could easily fill 3 discs on all 3 sequels.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

What if they did Trilogy boxes? 2 discs per movie plus one bonus for all the concert pieces and then the alternates? (OT and PT, the ST would need at least one bonus disc per movie of course. Maybe SW could even fit on one disc if you bring the Cantina pieces over to the bonus disc. Though that then starts filling up the bonus disc leaving no space for bonuses like all those Main Title takes.)

Yes that would be ideal. I think a few years ago I mentioned that would be the best situation, one mega boxset for each trilogy, with the number of discs depending on how much music there is. So like a 7/8 disc set for each of the first two trilogies, and then like 9/10 for the ST.

I suppose they could also combine those into one super-mega-giant boxset for the entire saga. But who know how much that would cost! :lol:

Whatever Disney charges for their Legacy Collection titles is probably what we could expect for individual Star Wars releases.

Are there any 3CD entries in the Legacy Collection line, or all they all 1CD or 2CD?

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are there any 3CD entries in the Legacy Collection line, or all they all 1CD or 2CD?

Disneyland and Mary Poppins are 3CD, Fantasia is 4CD.

https://www.disneymusicemporium.com/dept/the-legacy-collection/

There you go, so there's probably the rough price estimates we could expect

I wouldn't be surprised if they do a 3CD set for every film.  For the longer scores, you'd need it for all the bonus tracks.  For the shorter scores, you can include the entire OST album in the package.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

For the shorter scores, you can include the entire OST album in the package.

Nooooooo! That's what the demasters were for!

Well going by the link you provided, Disney only charges $19.98 for their 3CD sets, so that's no big deal

And also, I'd love to have MM's rebuilds of the OST albums, rather than Murphy's, wouldn't you?

20 minutes ago, Holko said:

Nooooooo! That's what the demasters were for!

15 minutes ago, Holko said:

Maybe if they were any good ;)

*saves screengrab to folder titled 'Evidence that Holko is The Anti-Thor - May Be Useful One Day'*

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

*saves screengrab to folder titled 'Evidence that Holko is The Anti-Thor - May Be Useful One Day'*

Hey, I still kinda like or love a dozen or so of them! Not my fault that 90% of the time he's just bad at doing them :P

18 hours ago, crumbs said:

And technically The Last Jedi got an expansion in the form of an isolated score.

Yes, exactly, like the Sony Double CD Menace (pun intended): Literally the *soundtrack* to the movie.

I miss the good ole days when a film composition ended up on the soundtrack, more or less as is. I think that went out the window after the 80s in the middle of the 90s of last century with digital editing. *sigh*

Luckily Williams' best scores of his anni mirabili where done this way, and it shows in the movies and you can hear it with or without the movie.

The Phantom Double CD Menace will be the only isolated score on CD published by a major label.

There is ... another ...

:D

I have "The Third Man", a bootleg CD which features ... the soundtrack of the movie as is; supposedly because the Karas recording doesn't exist anymore? Or did that change in the last 20 years?

21 hours ago, Jay said:

And also, I'd love to have MM's rebuilds of the OST albums, rather than Murphy's, wouldn't you?

The 2015 Sony's were brand new transfers of the actual album masters. I'm not sure how much closer Mike can get, outside remixing the scores from scratch using the multitracks (matching both the Tomlinson film mixes and the Neal album mixes), but that assumes the SW & ESB multitracks were found and haven't disintegrated. 

It would be nice to have some of those ugly analogue OST edits cleaned up though, my only gripe with the Sony transfers. 

Including a third disc for ROTJ's OST does solve the issue of where to include album mixes of the '83 cues that got replaced in' 97 (though the very different film mixes would still need to go somewhere). 

Exactly.  If the multitracks all exist, he can remix the entire score to sound like the original mixes but have more clarity, like he did for CE3K and Superman, and build the entire new main programs from these mixes, and rebuild the OST programs as well so they sound the same.  Like the Superman set.

If the original multitracks are lost, and he has to build the main program from the archive of Tomlinson's film mixes, we can get Neal's album master on disc 3, but with the rough analog edits cleaned up.

I don't think there's any amount (within reason) I wouldn't pay for a comprehensive MM-produced expansion of all 9 scores.

Even allowing for $30 per score, it should still be under $300 USD.

Keep in mind Disney own the first 6 scores outright and don't have to pay the LSO a cent to release that material. Only the sequels (barring a negotiated deal with the AFM) would cost them money to release (outside JW's fees, wages, manufacturing, etc. which would be insignificant next to the profits they would reap).