Williams scores that SHOULD'VE been nominated for the Oscars in your opinion

Edmilson

Not nominated Williams scores  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these JW scores that didn't received a nomination you think deserved to be nominated?

• The Cowboys (1972)
    • Earthquake (1974)
    • Family Plot (1976)
    • Black Sunday (1977)
    • The Fury (1978)
    • Dracula (1979)
    • 1941 (1979)
    • Monsignor (1982)
    • Always (1989)
    • Presumed Innocent (1990)
    • Hook (1991)
    • Far and Away (1992)
    • Home Alone 2 (1992)
    • Jurassic Park (1993)
    • The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
    • Seven Years in Tibet (1997)
    • Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace (1999)
    • Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones (2002)
    • Minority Report (2002)
    • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
    • Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (2005)
    • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)
    • The BFG (2016)
    • The Post (2017)
    • Other (specify in the comments)

JW has a lot of Oscars nominations, but what if he had even more? Choose which scores that didn't get nominated you think they actually deserved a nomination in their respective years.

13 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Rosewood should have been the 1997 nominee IMO

All due respect to Elfman, but I'd boot Good Will Hunting and nominate both Amistad and Rosewood.  I'd still give the Oscar to Titanic, not because I necessarily think it's better than those two but.... well.... it's effing Titanic.

1997 is one of my favorite years for scores of all time.  In addition to the ones mentioned so far, it also gave us Starship Troopers, The Fifth Element, Air Force One, Tomorrow Never Dies, Contact, Speed 2, Men In Black, Batman & Robin, Liar Liar, Volcano, LA Confidential, The Edge, The Peacemaker, Face Off.... legendary year for scores

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Frankly, JW's 1997 is just too outstanding.  Just go ahead and nominate Titanic plus JW's 4 :lol:

I would say the same about 2002:

Shore: Lord of the Rings 2

Williams: Attack of the Clones, Minority Report, HP2, Catch Me If You Can

And for 2005:

Williams: Memoirs of a Geisha, Revenge of the Sith, Munich, War of the Worlds

JNH: King Kong

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

1997 is one of my favorite years for scores of all time.  In addition to the ones mentioned so far, it also gave us Starship Troopers, The Fifth Element, Air Force One, Tomorrow Never Dies, Contact, Speed 2, Men In Black, Batman & Robin, Liar Liar, Volcano, LA Confidential, The Edge, The Peacemaker, Face Off.... legendary year for scores

Plus a score with some surprisingly great cues that never gets talked about..... Marc Shaiman's George of the Jungle!  Not suggesting it's on the level as some of the scores you mentioned, but it's one of those years with tons of awesome scores and lots of fun 2nd tier stuff too (also George S. Clinton's Austin Powers score).

Absolutely, also stuff like Turbulence, Fierce Creatures, Dante's Peak, Austin Powers, Con Air, Kull the Conqueror, The Devil's Advocate, Switchback, The Man Who Knew Too Little, Mouse Hunt, The Postman...

There are some great scores on his resume that never received a nomination, but to be perfectly honest, I think he has enough. 50 is a crazy amount to begin with.

"When You're Alone" was nominated for Best Original Song, but the score was not nominated for Best Original Score

The nominees were

Beauty and the Beast – Alan Menken (Winner)
Bugsy – Ennio Morricone
The Fisher King – George Fenton
JFK – John Williams
The Prince of Tides – James Newton Howard

59 minutes ago, Thor said:

There are some great scores on his resume that never received a nomination, but to be perfectly honest, I think he has enough. 50 is a crazy amount to begin with.

Perhaps but He Could Have Had More...

@Jurassic SharkI've got you on that one ;)

Jurassic Park is the one that sticks out the most. 

Of course if most of us had our way he'd have more noms than Walt Disney at this point.

1976, 1979, 1986, 1992, 2008, and 2016 are notable as the only years since his first nomination in 1967 that he didn't get nominated at all when he had some kind of major release. There's also 1968 and 1970 but not sure about their worthiness/eligibility.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Plus a score with some surprisingly great cues that never gets talked about..... Marc Shaiman's George of the Jungle!  Not suggesting it's on the level as some of the scores you mentioned, but it's one of those years with tons of awesome scores and lots of fun 2nd tier stuff too (also George S. Clinton's Austin Powers score).

Love that score! So good!!

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Edmilson, HOOK was nominated for an Oscar.

I know, but it was for Best Original Song. I considered only the Best Original Score nominations.

43 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

1976, 1979, 1986, 1992, 2008, and 2016 are notable as the only years since his first nomination in 1967 that he didn't get nominated at all when he had some kind of major release. There's also 1968 and 1970 but not sure about their worthiness/eligibility.

I think it's a little weird that he wasn't nominated in 1992 for Far and Away. 

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Strange. I also thought, he was nominated for The Post.

I would have bet some money that TLJ and The Post was  his something like 55th and 56th nominations... 

Aside from the usual 'Williams wrote a score, so of course it must be nominated' rubbish, it does greatly surprise me that Hook wasn't recognised. While even the OST is a bit overwhelming for me, the thematic density and set pieces really are something special.

Honourable mention goes to Jurassic Park - I think it's unfortunate that it was the same year as Schindler's List, as it's a classic case of putting a serious drama score against a popcorn adventure score, and we all know which way that always goes.

25 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Honourable mention goes to Jurassic Park - I think it's unfortunate that it was the same year as Schindler's List, as it's a classic case of putting a serious drama score against a popcorn adventure score, and we all know which way that always goes.

Weirdly enough, the exact opposite happened in 2017, when The Last Jedi got the nomination instead of The Post. 

I would imagine that was a LotR-like effect, due to it being JW's last SW score, and an associated recognition.

I'd also cautiously suggest that The Post fell into the 'not interesting enough' category for some voters. Some here like it - some don't. I fall easily into the latter category, having turned the film off after 20 minutes, and the score doing nothing for me.

I suspect also that nowadays the academy are more concerned with their politically-significant/convenient choices than they are about a composer with a handful of them already. I reckon he'd need to score a popular and politically-relevant film to be in with a chance now.

11 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I would imagine that was a LotR-like effect, due to it being JW's last SW score, and an associated recognition.

I'd also cautiously suggest that The Post fell into the 'not interesting enough' category for some voters. Some here like it - some don't. I fall easily into the latter category, having turned the film off after 20 minutes, and the score doing nothing for me.

Talking about the LotR effect. I guess, there would have been a 90% chance that Williams would have won the academy award for The Rise of Skywalker also as a tribute to the whole series if JJ would not have fucked this up so completely with all those weird music edits blunt scoring decisions like more focussing on nostalgia score by permanent misplaced quotes of old OT scenes.

This was such a missed opportunity.

And it wasn't Williams' fault.

But maybe this statement of mine belongs to another thread.

17 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Weirdly enough, the exact opposite happened in 2017, when The Last Jedi got the nomination instead of The Post. 

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The Last Jedi was not Williams' last SW score

37 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Yeah I got confused between TLJ and TROS. The word 'Last' (as a SW ignoramus) got me confused :P

That's okay. Return of the King wasn't Shore's last middle earth score either. ;)

Although it should have been...

Correct!

He's received:

• 1 nomination for "Best Scoring of Music – Adaptation or Treatment" (Valley of the Dolls)
  • 1 nomination for "Best Score of a Musical Picture – Original or Adaptation" (Goodbye, Mr. Chips)
  • 1 nomination for "Best Original Score for a Motion Picture (Not a Musical)" (The Reivers)
  • 1 nomination for "Best Scoring: Adaptation and Original Song Score" (Fiddler On The Roof - WON)
  • 8 nominations for "Best Original Dramatic Score" (Images, Poseidon Adventure, Cinderella Liberty, Towering Inferno, Nixon, Sleepers, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan)
  • 1 nominations for "Best Song" ("Nice To Be Around")
  • 1 nomination for "Best Scoring: Original Song Score and Adaptation or Scoring: Adaptation" (Tom Sawyer)
  • 33 nominations for "Best Original Score" (Jaws - WON, Star Wars - WON, Close Encounters, Superman, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders, ET - WON, Return of the Jedi, Temple of Doom, The River, Empire of the Sun, Witches of Eastwick, Accidental Tourist, Born on the 4th of July, Last Crusade, Home Alone, JFK, Schindler's List - WON, Angela's Ashes, The Patriot, A.I., Sorcerer's Stone, Catch Me If You Can, Azkaban, Geisha, Munich, Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln, Book Thief, Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Rise of Skywalker)
  • 4 nomination for "Best Original Song ("If I Were In Love", "Somewhere In My Memory", "When You're Alone", "Moonlight")
  • 1 nomination for "Best Original Musical or Comedy Score" (Sabrina)

For a total of 52 nominations

Which is basically 5 nominations for songs, 1 nomination for adapting an existing musical, and 46 nominations for original scores.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

4 nomination for "Best Original Song ("If I Were In Love", "Somewhere In My Memory", "When You're Alone", "Moonlight")

He actually got nominated for Moonlight? Isn't that basically a reworking of Make me Rainbows?

I'm surprised The Fury, Dracula, and The Lost World aren't getting more love. I'm also kind of surprised that Far and Away is getting the love it deserves.