When you listen to Temple of Doom, do you skip “Anything Goes” ?

WampaRat

When you listen to Temple of Doom, do you skip “Anything Goes”?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. When you listen to Temple of Doom, do you skip the “Anything Goes” track?

2. 2. Bonus: Do you skip the “Temple of Doom” track?

I’ve always skipped this track when starting on this Indy journey. It’s terrific in the film. But I tend to start with “Indy Negotiates”.

Do you skip the “Anything Goes” track? Also, do you ever skip the “Temple of Doom” track?

I love the song and often start there, though I admit there are also times when I skip straight to Fast Streets of Shanghai. It doesn't really matter though as I almost never listen to this score all the way through in one sitting. I usually just pick pieces of it to listen to.

The only time where I skip JW tracks is when I don't have the time to listen to the whole album so no for Temple of Doom.

Anything Goes is a magical arrangement which is really a great part of the movie (this opening credit is absolutely brillant) so I can't skip this track unlike the Always' songs...

We were just talking about this piece's inclusion in the movie two weeks ago, then this past week with the community band we played this awful arrangement of the Temple of Doom arrangement of Anything Goes, so that's weird it would come up a third time so soon.

To answer the question, it's always been an essential part of the Temple of Doom listening experience. 

30 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's your favorite take on Anything Goes? IMO, it's hard to beat Ella and Frank, both released in 1956, arranged by Bregman and Riddle, respectively.

Between those two I definitely prefer the Riddle arrangement for Sinatra (thank goodness Riddle arranged Ella's Gershwin songbook set and not Bregman or Billy May).  I quite enjoy listening to the Paul Whiteman 1934 recording for the band performance (the vocal is mediocre), it feels closer to the source somehow and I just enjoy the sound of 20s/30s radio/dance bands really.  Also, I did see the musical revival starring Sutton Foster in NYC n 2012.

The version I can't help kind of enjoying and feel guilty about it, just because they're such a weird and cheesy group is the 60s pop version by Harpers Bizarre (a group that was connected with Randy Newman actually).  Definitely a novelty oddity.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Between those two I definitely prefer the Riddle arrangement for Sinatra (thank goodness Riddle arranged Ella's Gershwin songbook set and not Bregman or Billy May). 

Yes and yes.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The Ella and Riddle "Someone to Watch Over Me" is one of the  great recordings that makes life worth living.

That album is so full of great singing/arrangements/playing, and her voice at the time was utterly sublime.

57 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's your favorite take on Anything Goes? IMO, it's hard to beat Ella and Frank, both released in 1956, arranged by Bregman and Riddle, respectively.

I love Cole Porter's intros to his songs, which are sometimes omitted. I like that Ella's includes it. The intros for You're the Top and I Get a Kick Out of You are my favorite parts of their respective songs.

12 hours ago, Datameister said:

Hell no to both. "Anything Goes" is a weird-ass way to start an Indiana Jones movie, but it's too fun an arrangement to skip.

The Sanskrit sacrifice material is some of the scariest music JW has written and I would never dream of skipping it.

That!

One of the best parts of ToD, both film and score, is that by the time Mola Ram is crocodile food and Indy reveals he saved one stone at the top of cliff, you completely forget the film begins with this piece and the setting.

The contrast (as it was intended) is great and unlike anything in the other films.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

But then, JW's arrangement of the Porter song is just SO GOOD,

He's just such a master at arranging golden age musical theater songs. Between this arrangement, which I mentioned before having come up recently TWICE separately because it's so good, and Fiddler on the Roof, it's almost a crime he was unable to do West Side Story. On top of all that, with his relationship with Bernstein, what a bummer it was they wouldn't wait for Williams to be available. 

I'll never let that one go.

Never. I love it. My only complaint is that it's ruined Anything Goes for me... I've never heard another version I like nearly as much, it's usually somewhat slower and usually more repetitive. If I remember correctly, JW did the arrangements too? I miss the full symphonic arrangement elsewhere too. Plus, who doesn't love Cole Porter in Cantonese?

Just now, Jay said:

It's not Cantonese, nor is it Mandarin - it's Shanghainese 

Oops, my bad. I'm sure I read in a review it was Cantonese, but I stand corrected. Nothing like a factual inaccuracy to ruin a mildly humorous comment ;-)

7 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Oops, my bad. I'm sure I read in a review it was Cantonese, but I stand corrected. Nothing like a factual inaccuracy to ruin a mildly humorous comment ;-)

3cfe69a086c4574c607dfaaa988e26fa.jpg

siiiigh

Now I want to watch this great movie again for what seems like the 5th time in the past year.

I was looking over some TOD discussions from a decade ago, and my views on the film have changed more than I remembered. I still think it's a silly romp with very little in common with my beloved Raiders, but I can better appreciate the love it gets from its fans. And I'm embarrassed to admit I never noticed some of the parallels being brought up.

Never skip Anything Goes - the introduction of this track is essential as the introduction of the score - so suspensefull and exciting.

The Temple chant I do skip sometimes (but usually not).

One of the biggest missed opportunities in KotCS is that Spielberg didn't ask Williams to arrange a big orchestral bombast that segues tounge-in-cheek into the Elvis song playing on the radio.

On 5/21/2021 at 3:20 PM, Smeltington said:

The intros for You're the Top and I Get a Kick Out of You are my favorite parts of their respective songs.

They're top and I also get a kick out of them.