Rey's Theme Jazz Arrangement

artguy360

Very nice, really enjoyable arrangement, great sax solo too. 

Huh.  I was expecting to like this based on the comments, but I didn't.  It's kind of meandering

I can hear the creativity behind it, but my reaction is similar to Jay's - it has the meandering qualities that generally turn me away from jazz. I'd lost interest after the first 30 seconds or so.

I occasionally like 'big band' sort of jazz when there's a clearly defined melody (Someone In The Crowd from LLL), but very rarely this sort of more relaxed type, like in Whiplash which is a great film, but its actual musical performances bore the crap out of me.

I do like the idea of it rather better than the execution. I think a different approach to the arrangement could be more to my tastes. Maybe a little jazz quartet with some spicier harmonies? (But also still maintaining a bit more of a recognizable connection to the original during the solos?) But I did still enjoy this one.

I like it, but it does feel unfocused. My attention started to wane after a few minutes.

But I guess that's kinda the point of jazz, being unfocused. Maybe I'm just accustomed to JW's style of jazz, which generally retain the steadfast focus of his film scores.

Happy to see people take his music and reinterpret it, though!

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

So you are saying this version captures Rey's character arc pretty well then?  

j/k--I don't really care.  

Heh... Rey does have an arc across the trilogy, but it's certainly unfocused, yeah.

Within TROS itself it's like whiplash from one scene to the next. Yeesh!