Hocus Pocus 2 (2022) Disney+

crumbs

• 3 months later...

David Kirschner (executive producer) just did an interview for the Big Seance podcast in which he mentions that John Debney will be scoring Hocus Pocus 2!!

https://bigseance.com/2021/09/01/195-hocus-pocus-and-the-sequel-with-creator-writer-and-executive-producer-david-kirschner-big-seance/

Listen around the 45:12 mark :)

1 hour ago, 4te said:

David Kirschner (executive producer) just did an interview for the Big Seance podcast in which he mentions that John Debney will be scoring Hocus Pocus 2!!

https://bigseance.com/2021/09/01/195-hocus-pocus-and-the-sequel-with-creator-writer-and-executive-producer-david-kirschner-big-seance/

Listen around the 45:12 mark :)

Bloody fantastic news!!! Was very worried they might screw this up, so it's great to see Debney returning. His score for the first film is brilliant!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't seen her in anything for years! Or Midler for that matter. 

They don't really look 30 years older, I'll give them that. I guess the fact they were aged up in the original film helps with that. 

Also, another cool casting detail, but Doug Jones is returning for this film (presumably reprising the same reanimated corpse from the original). 

Man they really don't look that much older! Honestly I was expecting them to lean more into the "opening of the first film" look, having them look extra old (like in their hundreds or something this time), so it's definitely a shock how similar to the original they look in comparison to what I imagined!

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Man they really don't look that much older! Honestly I was expecting them to lean more into the "opening of the first film" look, having them look extra old (like in their hundreds or something this time), so it's definitely a shock how similar to the original they look in comparison to what I imagined!

They might start off that way and gradually become younger as the film continues. De-aging technology can do some awesome things now! 

I just hope Midler can still do the physical comedy and the 3 have the same chemistry as the first film. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The first film's story was quite simple, three witches are brought back on Halloween and the main characters must stop them. I'm hoping this film doesn't try and needlessly complicate things. There's a line in the trailer that has me thinking they're going to have more witches in the present day?

I wonder if the Sisters' house is still there, or if they're going to say it was bulldozed to make way for new developments fifteen years ago? 

On 28/6/2022 at 12:44 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I wasn't aware that Hallowe'en had a season? I thought it was just one night? :lol:

In the US, the Halloween season starts in mid August and wraps up in the middle of October, at which point it is officially the Christmas season

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, crumbs said:

Odd tagline?

I think it's a play on Winnie's line in the original movie "Another glorious morning...... makes me sick!"

I'm glad this movie is happening and I'm so excited to hear John Debney's score for it. He posted this on Instagram a little while ago, it's the sketches of Main Titles from the original! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeWxn4cvd28/

Debney's score for the first one is very good (but also very much of its time as a Disney live action film from the early 1990s - hence, small orchestra and lots of mickey mousing). It was his big break and probably led to Cutthroat Island etc. This cue has a brilliant start but then descends into mickeymouse noise:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fragment of the end credits, with music from the first film quoted. Sounds like a great recording:

And I know they're only early Twitter reactions (which are always positive) but the film is getting a lot of love from people who've seen it already.

Sounds like it's as much fun as the original. Let's hope it lives up the hype!

I’m very much not the target audience, but the trailers have not particularly interested me.  We have plans to watch it with our kid later in October either way.  I like Sam Richardson a lot, and it looks like there will be very brief appearances by Ginger Minj, Kornbread, and Kahmora Hall which is something to celebrate!  I’m sure I’ll find something of interest in the movie.

If nothing else, John Debney should turn in a fun score!

Speaking of which, the soundtrack just dropped on YouTube in NZ.

Use a VPN to listen or wait until midnight local time.

Also up on iTunes

1400x1400bb.webp

1. Yes Salem, We’re Back! – Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker & Kathy Najimy
2. The Witches Are Back – Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker & Kathy Najimy
3. Skeleton Sam – LVCRFT
4. Planet Claire – The B-52’s
5. Ghosted – DBone and The Remains
6. Somebody’s Watching Me – Rockwell
7. Hocus Pocus Voo Doo – Big Bob Kornegay
8. Afraid of the Night – DBone and The Remains & Earl St. Clair
9. One Way or Another (Hocus Pocus 2 Version) – Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker & Kathy Najimy
10. Salem 1653
11. Banished Thee
12. I Don’t Have a Temper
13. Lighting the Black Flame
14. Sanderson’s Storm
15. Let’s Steal Their Souls!
16. Salt Bags
17. The Power Spell
18. Cobweb the Cat/Hourglass
19. Digging Up Billy
20. Lift the Curse and Let Us Out
21. I Need Your Head/Meeting the Mayor
22. Forbidden Wood
23. Is Becca a Witch?
24. Finishing the Spell
25. Sarah and Mary Disappear
26. Making Amends with Gilbert
27. Cobweb Canole
28. Hocus Pocus Main Theme

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/hocus-pocus-2-original-soundtrack/1646088909

Walt Disney Records licensed like thirty songs for this album but couldn’t license the two songs from the original movie, huh!

Not up for purchase yet in the US, but I did discover that Debney has been re-credited on iTunes as “John Cardon Debney” on every release, which I swear wasn’t the case when I bought a few albums of his on Monday!

A509AA71-8B8A-42B2-B2E1-A75CD7E534AD.jpeg

Really looking forward to this score. I hadn’t heard this 2.5 hour(!) interview he gave with Jon Burlingame a couple years ago until now. My admiration and respect for him has increased quite a bit. I also discovered a few works of his I wasn’t familiar with before like his Spielberg Civil War project “Class of ‘61”.

https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/interviews/john-debney#interview-clips

While not the household name of other giant film composers, this guy has been humbly working his butt off and producing great work for decades now. Hope he gets more projects to show off what he can do!

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

Walt Disney Records licensed like thirty songs for this album but couldn’t license the two songs from the original movie, huh!

Not up for purchase yet in the US, but I did discover that Debney has been re-credited on iTunes as “John Cardon Debney” on every release, which I swear wasn’t the case when I bought a few albums of his on Monday!

A509AA71-8B8A-42B2-B2E1-A75CD7E534AD.jpeg

He's rebranding on account of a new artist: John Debney, the guitarist. He's the cousin of John Williams, the guitarist.

• 8 months later...