Still the best Batman score?

I Still find the performance tiny and small on Batman Returns ost compared to Batman ‘89. I wish it sounded differently to me. I really do. But for me it’s Batman’89 for always. 

28 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone else is a fan of Elfman's Catwoman theme from Returns? It's an amazing theme.

Of course.

Batman (89) for me. Every track is perfection.

Returns has good themes (Catwoman and the Penguin) but it gets repetitive and is never as epic as the original.

Forever is good and Batman & Robin is even better, but not as memorable as the first Batman.

Elfman's two Batman scores might be the best musical representation of the character, but I still think Batman Forever has the best music ever written for Batman, although by the nature of the film itself, it doesn't perhaps feel as a definitive take on the character as Elfman's stuff

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone else is a fan of Elfman's Catwoman theme from Returns? It's an amazing theme.

It is indeed, but although this is clearly based on Khachaturian's Gayane, it still is my favorite theme for the character:

The Animated Series really had quite a collection of absolutely spot on villain themes

Even though I really like Nick Arundel's work in Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, I still think Batman 89 is the best. Elfman nailed the quintessential Batman sound and atmosphere. Though I think The Animated Series' music and themes remain a close second. 

I loved the 60s movie as a kid, and I do remember parts of the score, but I haven't had much of an incentive to visit it on its own. I might change that soon.

Call me back when we discuss Batman Forever. Now that is the perfect comic book score there.

8 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Am I the only one here who prefer Forever to the two Elfman's scores? (even if I find them excellent too)

I tend to agree, since the Elfman scores are to me rather typical Tim Burton movie scores than typical Batman scores.

Batman scores were always a mirror of their time. That is why I regret that there was no big Batman movie at the late 70s early 80s. Because then probably that would have become my all time favourite Batman score.

6 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Am I the only one here who prefer Forever to the two Elfman's scores? (even if I find them excellent too)

I don’t know if I prefer it necessarily. I would place it right next to Elfman’s. Elfman definitely nails the soaring gothic, noir-vibe Burton was going for. But I’d say Goldenthal captured that (where he could) in the Schumacher films plus the zany silly campiness. It’s the ultimate comic book movie score. It doesn’t take itself too seriously, yet it’s sincere in its emotions. It’s a riot. And I absolutely love it. 

As a testament to Goldenthal's mastery and versatility, he would've delivered a score as pitch perfect as Batman Forever for The Dark Knight

Elman's Batman score is still the best as far as I'm concerned.

I never liked the TV series or anything related to it, even growing up as a child I found it all rather silly and unappealing.

Semi-related, I’m really looking forward to this “Batman’89” comic book series that reportedly takes place in the “Burton-verse”

Imagine if they got Elfman on board to do a soundtrack for it ala Joel McNeely for Shadows of the Empire. He could finally complete a trilogy for his most famous superhero score:) I’ll keep dreaming now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/batman-facts-info-we-know-so-far-about-upcoming-89-dc-comic-series/amp/

9 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

for his most famous superhero score

To be honest, I am not sure if Batman is more famous than his Spiderman score.

Depends probably on the age of the audience.

Oh man, I don't know about that.  I am pretty sure Batman is way more recognized by casuals, across all age ranges

That Batman theme was used in the popular animated show for years and also reappeared in the Justice League movie, not to mention countless orchestras have played it and its appeared on re-recording CDs of all kinds, etc.  The two Spider-man scores are appreciated by film score fans but I don't think they had any kind of wider impact

No contest. Elfman's BATMAN theme is iconic. The SPIDER-MAN theme has a mild recognition factor for fans of a certain young age.

Compared to the 1966 BATMAN theme, however, the contest is more even.

On 5/22/2021 at 4:17 AM, Romão said:

Elfman's two Batman scores might be the best musical representation of the character, but I still think Batman Forever has the best music ever written for Batman

Check This Out GIF

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Seeing as I can tell you're a fan of Nelson Riddle, thought you might be interested in this concert premiering on Youtube tonight @Jurassic Shark, a Marine Band tribute to him.

A nice concert, with interesting facts interspersed. Although the Sinatra "imitator" could have done... less.

When listening to 'S Wonderful, I forgot for a moment I was listening to a concert.